Flemingo’s Oxford Bioscience DTP DPhil (PhD) Blog Watch

Flemingo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi!

I’m new to this site, but I thought it would be fun to join in with starting a little blog about my upcoming Bioscience PhD at Oxford!

I’ll be starting in just 2 weeks from now and I’m pretty much just a mess of nervous, excited and packing!

I’ll update this as I go along, but feel free to ask any questions in the meantime.

1. Freshers' Week as a postgraduate
2. Week 1 and 2 – Far too much maths, a matriculation and a bop
3. Weeks 3, 4 and 5 - Programming with C, Python and MatLAB
4. The Interview
5. Weeks 6, 7 and 8: Bioinformatics and Biological Technologies (FINALLY some actual Biology!)
6. Weeks 9 and 10: Data Management, Analysis and Statistics
7. Choosing a project/supervisor for my 12-week rotation projects
8. Finishing my 1st Rotation
9. Finishing my 2nd Rotation and Starting my DPhil
10. Internships!
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What's your PhD in?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello :hi: Welcome to TSR

Following with interest, as a former Oxonian (muso though, so nothing to do with sciences)
Flemingo
Rep:
?
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
What's your PhD in?
It will be something in bioscience, but they're making me do 3 months of lectures before I get to choose what I do in the lab! That's one of the perks of doctoral training funding compared to direct PhD funding... :yucky:

(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Hello :hi: Welcome to TSR

Following with interest, as a former Oxonian (muso though, so nothing to do with sciences)
Thank you! Did you enjoy your time at Oxford and what are you doing now?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Flemingo)
I didn't have the best time in the world but that was due to circumstances specific to my situation :yes: I don't regret going there though - twas an amazing experience! :awesome:

I'm doing a PhD at one of the unis that make up the University of London :banana: Term started yesterday, so I'm officially a second year! :eek2: :hide: :afraid:
Akamega
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I really want to get into this program in two years time, so I'll be following this blog closely.
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It will be something in bioscience, but they're making me do 3 months of lectures before I get to choose what I do in the lab! That's one of the perks of doctoral training funding compared to direct PhD funding... :yucky:

Oooh, will be interesting to see what you end up doing
Slowbro93
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In to watch
llacerta
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Which college are you at?
Flemingo
Rep:
?
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
I didn't have the best time in the world but that was due to circumstances specific to my situation :yes: I don't regret going there though - twas an amazing experience! :awesome:

I'm doing a PhD at one of the unis that make up the University of London :banana: Term started yesterday, so I'm officially a second year! :eek2: :hide: :afraid:
Good luck with your second year (sounds scary!). I'll subscribe to your thread too

(Original post by Akamega)
I really want to get into this program in two years time, so I'll be following this blog closely.
Cool - good luck! I hope this thread is somehow helpful to you What are you studying at the moment?

(Original post by llacerta)
Which college are you at?
Linacre - it's a postgraduate only college so not so well known :dontknow:
llacerta
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

Linacre - it's a postgraduate only college so not so well known :dontknow:
Not so well-known, are you kidding me? Linacre is infamous amongst the grads! Sexy Subfusc has to be one of the biggest BOPs of the year- I've already had several people bring it up in conversation as they're so excited for it haha. Nice food at Linacre too; I often go for lunch since it's just round the corner from my department. So congrats on the college! All my Linacre friends love it.

Good luck with starting the PhD!
Akamega
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Cool - good luck! I hope this thread is somehow helpful to you What are you studying at the moment?
Biology, starting my second year in a week.
Flemingo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Akamega)
Biology, starting my second year in a week.
Good luck, I hope you enjoy it! :biggrin:
Serentonin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As a fellow biosciences postgrad I shall subscribe, even if you are at the other place :p:
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Subscribing I'm sure you'll have a blast! Were you an Oxford student before?
lilGem
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
subscribing as a fellow
Flemingo
Rep:
?
Freshers’ Week as a postgraduate

TL;DR Moved in to college and started my course. Did lots of things – now feeling exhausted!!

So I moved in to college this weekend – back into Halls accommodation! :afraid: Moving back to Halls kind of feels like my life is going in a backwards direction, but I felt it would be the best way to make friends, and although the rent takes a massive chunk out of my studentship I do think it’s by far the easiest place to live in Oxford.

My room is much larger than I expected! I’m on the top floor, up 4 flights of windy stairs, but this means my room is very quiet and it overlooks a massive park and a playing field. It's ensuite (which is quite a step up from my previous Halls!) and the kitchen is shared between 10, although most of my flat mates seem to eat in the college dining hall every evening. Two of the rooms are double rooms for college members to live with their partners, and the other six are single rooms.

So on Monday morning, I walked over to the DTC teaching building, called the Rex Richards building. This is in the middle of the main science area of Oxford, and also where I had my interview. For the first day in weeks, it was pouring down with rain (typical!) and as I reached the building, there were 100 or so people standing outside the doors (of course, we don’t have card access yet!). These people were all first year DPhil students beginning one of the 6 doctoral training programmes offered in Lifesciences at Oxford. The day was mostly spent mingling with the other students, most of whom were lovely and very friendly, and sorting out admin, with a couple of introductory lectures and a free lunch. Honestly, it was all very exhausting!

The next morning was more introductory lectures (library inductions, IT inductions and the like) and more mingling. In full interdisciplinary spirit, my first assignment is to read one of a set list of novels, and write a short book report :confused: ! The afternoon was taken up by potential supervisors for our DPhil projects giving very rushed 10 minute overviews of their various research areas, and desperately trying to persuade us to join their research group for the next 4 years! I’m still making my mind up about which supervisor I will choose, but I’ve set up a meeting with my current top choice for later this week.

Today was the “college induction day”. Each college is allocated a time to attend the Oxford University Freshers’ Fair, which was a very crowded one-way system through lots and lots of different stalls. I would definitely recommend knowing what you are looking to sign up for before you go because it was very easy to be swept away by the crowd! Then I had a tour of my college and spent the rest of the afternoon exploring some of Oxford's various libraries for the first time :cool: (I was VERY excited!).

Anyway, the rest of my week promises to be filled with more short presentations by potential DPhil supervisors, as well as more induction sessions. I’m looking forward to a well-earned weekend break before next week when I’ll begin the real work!
Nirgilis
  • Study Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So on Monday morning, I walked over to the DTC teaching building, called the Rex Richards building. This is in the middle of the main science area of Oxford, and also where I had my interview. For the first day in weeks, it was pouring down with rain (typical!) and as I reached the building, there were 100 or so people standing outside the doors (of course, we don’t have card access yet!). These people were all first year DPhil students beginning one of the 6 doctoral training programmes offered in Lifesciences at Oxford. The day was mostly spent mingling with the other students, most of whom were lovely and very friendly, and sorting out admin, with a couple of introductory lectures and a free lunch. Honestly, it was all very exhausting!
Awesome first blog post! :awesome: . Are you looking forward to getting stuck in next week?

Also, you mentioned the 6 doctoral training programmes... Will there be friendship or rivalry between them all? Or do you think you'll never hear/speak to them ever again after this administration period? :lol:
Flemingo
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nirgilis)
Awesome first blog post! :awesome: . Are you looking forward to getting stuck in next week?

Also, you mentioned the 6 doctoral training programmes... Will there be friendship or rivalry between them all? Or do you think you'll never hear/speak to them ever again after this administration period? :lol:
Many of the modules I'm doing this term are optional for students on all 6 of the doctoral training programmes so I'm quite likely to end up with people from all of the different programmes! There is no rivalry and we are being actively encouraged to help each other out (I'm hoping to find some nice computer scientists to help me with the introduction to programming modules!) and this is aided by the fact that there is no actual module assessment so there's no competition!

(Original post by Craghyrax)
Were you an Oxford student before?
Nope - this is my first time here!
Slowbro93
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sounds like you're settling in well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are cats selfish