XMaramena
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I want to do a degree at USC in music for film, but the fees are far too high - what do you think my chances of scholarship are?

I have a GPA of 4.1-4.3 (depending on whether a couple of things count up to 4 or 5), and a good portfolio and awards history, but I don't know if any scholarships are available to me - it seems most of the scholarships are for "1st generations" or local students, or "Black Community", or "Latino Community" etc. There don't really seem to be any full scholarships for "just a white guy and he's not an american".

The info on their site is a little confusing - on one page, it says that there are scholarships available to international students. On the other page, it says that Non-US citizens aren't entitled to financial support. Then on the other page, it says international students are eligible for three different full-tuition scholarships. Then on another page it says that all international students have to provide proof that they can pay, up front, all tuition and living costs up front for the first year by a letter from the bank. So right now I'm pretty confused.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the deal is? Because the course is $196,000.
NYU℠
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by XMaramena)
I
The info on their site is a little confusing - on one page, it says that there are scholarships available to international students.
There are; they are few and far between.

On the other page, it says that Non-US citizens aren't entitled to financial support.
Scholarships and financial support are different things. You may get a scholarship if you apply. You won't get financial support.

Then on the other page, it says international students are eligible for three different full-tuition scholarships.
USC isn't the 'elite of the elite', but the average USC student isn't someone to scoff at either; as such, these scholarships will be extremely competitive - don't count on getting one.

Then on another page it says that all international students have to provide proof that they can pay, up front, all tuition and living costs up front for the first year by a letter from the bank. So right now I'm pretty confused.
In order to get your Visa to enter the country, you have to demonstrate that either (1) You have all the necessary money; (2) you have a loan to cover all of the expenses; (3) You have a scholarship to cover all of the expenses; (4) You have a combination of loans, scholarships and money to cover all of the expenses.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the deal is? Because the course is $196,000.
Welcome to the American University system.
XMaramena
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by NYU2012)
There are; they are few and far between.

Scholarships and financial support are different things. You may get a scholarship if you apply. You won't get financial support.

USC isn't the 'elite of the elite', but the average USC student isn't someone to scoff at either; as such, these scholarships will be extremely competitive - don't count on getting one.

In order to get your Visa to enter the country, you have to demonstrate that either (1) You have all the necessary money; (2) you have a loan to cover all of the expenses; (3) You have a scholarship to cover all of the expenses; (4) You have a combination of loans, scholarships and money to cover all of the expenses.

Welcome to the American University system.
Thanks for replying. It says that I need to have the proof of finances to apply, and scholarships are only considered AFTER applying. Well, if I can afford it, I don't need a scholarship, confusing!

Likely chances of scholarship with a >4.0 GPA, and a First Class BA Hons, with an industry portfolio?
NYU℠
Badges: 20
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by XMaramena)
Thanks for replying. It says that I need to have the proof of finances to apply, and scholarships are only considered AFTER applying. Well, if I can afford it, I don't need a scholarship, confusing!
Proof of finances they are likely using to mean 'proof of income', which is standard practice in the US. The University wants to know how much money you have before they offer you any.

Likely chances of scholarship with a >4.0 GPA, and a First Class BA Hons, with an industry portfolio?
You already have a BA? Then this likely reduces your chance of scholarship, as the University will be more concerned with providing funding to students who (a) need it more and (b) who do not already have a degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (431)
58.64%
Yes- I don't like it (40)
5.44%
No- I want it (214)
29.12%
No- I don't want it (50)
6.8%

Watched Threads