Can I do both English Language and Lang Lit Combined? Or is that a bad idea?

Watch
Blippety
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I chose English Language as one of my A-Level subjects and wasn't sure whether I should switch to English Lang & Lit Combined because, while I really enjoy English Language, I am slightly disappointed that there is no creative writing involved whatsoever.

But it has just now occurred to me that I could drop another subject that I'm finding vaguely mediocre (Sociology) and do both?

I've heard of people doing both English Language and English Literature, but never English Language and Lang Lit Combined, so... thoughts?
I have until the end of this week to make up my mind.

Note: I definitely do not want to do English Literature as a subject; while I like fiction texts, writing huge long essays on them in great detail is something I would prefer to keep to a minimum.
E air
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The AS coursework for eng lang is 100% creative writing. i got like 97% on it, it was a piece of piss. Lang ang gnder was cool too, but categorizing text is a load of bs lmao
Nmys
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It seems like a waste of an A level and would limit your chances of entering uni if the course you pick is anything other than English - e.g. if you decide to do History at uni and you have the A levels English lang, English lit and lang, and geography it's going to look dodgy.
Blippety
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Nmys)
It seems like a waste of an A level and would limit your chances of entering uni if the course you pick is anything other than English - e.g. if you decide to do History at uni and you have the A levels English lang, English lit and lang, and geography it's going to look dodgy.
Eh, well, I've heard Sociology isn't a subject universities love all that much either. My other two subjects are RS and German (might change this to Psychology if I get high enough up on the waiting list for it).
If I go to university, I will probably be doing English, or possibly RS, but probably English.
l.suu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are you sure there's no creative writing in English Language at all, not even just for coursework?
I've just finished my A level im English lang & lit combined and I loved it. In terms of creative writing, for me in first year I did 2 pieces of creative writing, which I then had to analyse for coursework, and that's about it really.
The rest was just studying 2 books and an anthology which is what the exam was on. Although when studying the books and poems the new terminology from English Language would have to be used within our essays.
I guess if you were intending to do English at uni then doing lang and lang lit wouldn't be a problem. You could always drop the one you enjoy the least after the first year too. I highly recommend lang lit though
Emmaaaaaaa
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
well a-levels have just changed so idk what the new exams are like but i didn't do much creative writing this past year in AQA lit & lang combined, so if there's about the same amount i wouldn't switch over just for that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (94)
27.09%
England (114)
32.85%
Belgium (28)
8.07%
Germany (39)
11.24%
Spain (8)
2.31%