The Student Room Group

Ben Carson: Big Bang is a 'fairy tale', Darwin's theory of evolution is Satan's work

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3245656/It-s-ridiculous-Ben-Carson-believes-Big-Bang-fairy-tale-Darwin-s-theory-evolution-work-devil.html#comments

"‘So I say, what you’re telling me is if I blow a hurricane through a junkyard enough times over billions and billions of years, eventually, after one of those hurricanes, there will be a 747 fully-loaded and ready to fly?’"

"Carson, who believes in a creationist theory that all life was created by God around 6,000 years ago"

How do people like this even manage to become doctors? It's absolutely disgusting, that his person is even a viable candidate for POTUS, let alone a doctor?

For someone who loves to go on about Islam dragging people back to the dark ages, he sure loves to try and do it himself.

People complain about Islamic fundamentalism being a threat to america, but I feel as though Christian fundamentalism is just as big of one to America.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Well, it was a good run. He's defiantly not winning.
lol

Ben Carson: First surgeon to ever separate conjoined twins, provided key research in the hemispheres, multi-multi millionaire, a running candidate for president, achieved dozens of awards

Fango jett: Teenage student (presumably) mindlessly complaining about a non-issue on a student forum, and then questioning how on earth this guy could be a doctor?!?! It's almost as if this is some kind of rarity; somebody with controversial views isn't allowed to be in such a smart, great profession!!! The horror...

Re-evaluate your life pal.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
I don't believe in either the Big Bang or God. Both sound equally ridiculous and I find anyone spouting either of that nonsense tends to be so wrapped up in a certain way of thinking due to being told 'that is what happened' as a kid, that they're deluded so much that they think it must be true.
Original post by Mr JB
I don't believe in either the Big Bang or God. Both sound equally ridiculous and I find anyone spouting either of that nonsense tends to be so wrapped up in a certain way of thinking due to being told 'that is what happened' as a kid, that they're deluded so much that they think it must be true.

Well, what is your explanation for cosmic microwave background radiation, and the accelerating expansion of the Universe?
Reply 5
Original post by StrangeBanana
Well, what is your explanation for cosmic microwave background radiation, and the accelerating expansion of the Universe?

I don't have one. However, I do believe the universe is actually nothing like we, as human beings, observe it to be.
Original post by Mr JB
I don't have one. However, I do believe the universe is actually nothing like we, as human beings, observe it to be.

On what evidence or reasoning do you base this belief?
Reply 7
Any who still relies on God nowadays is incredibly backwards. Religion is dying in this country and thank god, I don't know how people got through having to listen to the rabble on "the story of creation" and "we are of God's image", and all that ****
Reply 8
Original post by Mr JB

It doesn't matter if it sounds ridiculous, it is well supported by our observations of the universe.

On topic, as stupid as that is I am not sure it impacts on his abilities as a doctor. Wouldn't want him running a country though.
Reply 9
On what evidence or reasoning do you base this belief?

1) There is lack of evidence, in regard to the Big Bang, of anything before the singularity
2) Where did the singularity come from? According to the Big Bang theory it existed before space or time even existed
3) Where is the evidence that the universe as a whole is finite?

Personally, I think its a load of nonsense. I think the universe is infinite and has always existed. In my opinion, it is the product of smaller cosmological reactions occurring all of the time and these reactions allow for the expansion and contraction of the universe. I think it is far more likely that the universe is one big living organism with the ability to sustain itself than there is for the Big Bang theory.
Reply 10
Original post by lucaf
It doesn't matter if it sounds ridiculous, it is well supported by our observations of the universe.

It is regarded as the most logical up-to-date but numerous scientists have found flaws in it and others have created other models which are actually based on more solid science. I think you need to do some research and get up-to-date. The Big Bang theory is incredibly flawed and we should not be teaching either the Big Bang theory or that God created the universe in schools. We should be teaching children that the possibilities are endless due to our lack of understanding.
Reply 11
Original post by Mr JB
1) There is lack of evidence, in regard to the Big Bang, of anything before the singularity
2) Where did the singularity come from? According to the Big Bang theory it existed before space or time even existed

Personally, I think its a load of nonsense. I think the universe is infinite and has always existed. In my opinion, it is the product of smaller cosmological reactions occurring all of the time and these reactions allow for the expansion and contraction of the universe. I think it is far more likely that the universe is one big living organism with the ability to sustain itself than there is for the Big Bang theory.

1. Which is why there is no consensus on what (if anything) happened before the singularity
2. Scientists have no idea, which is why big bang theory doesn't explain that. Doesn't change the fact that the evidence points to there having been a singularity and an expansion.
3. Finite in size? None. But there is nothing in Big Bang theory that claims it is finite, so I don't see how that is relevant. As far as I am aware it is commonly accepted the universe may well be infinite.

As for that last part, all lovely sounding hypotheses with no actual grounding in... well anything really. One big living organism? That is as pseudosciency as pseudoscience gets.

Original post by Mr JB
It is regarded as the most logical up-to-date but numerous scientists have found flaws in it and others have created other models which are actually based on more solid science. I think you need to do some research and get up-to-date. The Big Bang theory is incredibly flawed and we should not be teaching either the Big Bang theory or that God created the universe in schools. We should be teaching children that the possibilities are endless due to our lack of understanding.

You already said you don't have a better explanation of microwave background radiation or expansion of the universe, do none of these "models which are actually based on more solid science" explain those basic facts about the universe? If you have a better explanation I am open to hear it, post a link to these alternatives and their flaws.
Few people would take him seriously. There is no evidence for his creationist theories.
Original post by Mr JB

1. That's not an argument against the theory. The Big Bang theory doesn't attempt to describe what happened before the "bang", it describes the "bang" itself.
2. Well, the theory postulates a time in the distant past where everything was very dense, because if things are expanding now, it's not a great leap to suppose that if we turn back the clock, they had to have started expanding at some point in time. Why on Earth that time "happened" is a question that - as of yet - has no answer.
3. The Big Bang theory doesn't say the universe is finite. Maybe you should do some research, instead of basing your theories on naive conceptions of science.

What you think is likely is irrelevant; the mountain of evidence means that the most likely scenario is that the Big Bang did happen. There are questions it cannot answer, but unless you can provide a better theory, the scientific community is going to stick to its guns.
Original post by YesAllMen
lol

Ben Carson: First surgeon to ever separate conjoined twins

While a talented surgeon, the first successful separation of conjoined twins was 30 years before BC did his operation
Reply 15

What you think is likely is irrelevant; the mountain of evidence means that the most likely scenario is that the Big Bang did happen. There are questions it cannot answer, but unless you can provide a better theory, the scientific community is going to stick to its guns.

http://phys.org/news/2015-02-big-quantum-equation-universe.html

http://www.zmescience.com/science/study-universe-big-bang-10022015/

http://www.iflscience.com/physics/quantum-equations-dispute-big-bang
Well at least he isn't killing anyone
Original post by Fango_Jett

For someone who loves to go on about Islam dragging people back to the dark ages, he sure loves to try and do it himself.

People complain about Islamic fundamentalism being a threat to america, but I feel as though Christian fundamentalism is just as big of one to America.

I know.

It's a particular issue in America. More extreme Christians love to criticise Islam and Islamist extremism, yet they share far more things with Islamic extremism than they'd like to admit. Anti-science views, socially conservative views (including towards sex and relationships), intolerance of gay people, hatred of anyone outside their religion, wanting to legalise discrimination against people they don't like such as gay people and atheists (a little bit like Muslim support for Sharia law), etc.
Original post by lucaf
1. Which is why there is no consensus on what (if anything) happened before the singularity
2. Scientists have no idea, which is why big bang theory doesn't explain that. Doesn't change the fact that the evidence points to there having been a singularity and an expansion.
theres some consensus. The consensus is that the question itself is a bit odd. If we accept that time is a product of the universe, then there is no "before". If we also accept that the laws governing the universe came into existence with the universe, then there is nothing to prevent its creation.

This is stretching my knowledge of physics as I am a mere former biochemist now working on the environment, but that is my understanding of what I was told by the people who are informed on the subject
I think he was the one who said no Muslim should he President/no President should be Muslim. Personally I wouldn't want a creationist who ignores/denies science to be POTUS. Not even a Conservative Christian.

Quick Reply

Latest