U/E boundary - P3 edexcel 2003

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Every one seems to be hung up on the A/B grade boundaries on P3 edexcel 2003. I wish I was worried about getting a Bs but instead im worried about getting Us. What do You think the U/E or even D grade boundaries will be?
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hopefully very low, i no that myself and kates and a whole load of other ppl, see thread spanning about 10 pages, found it hard
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Yeah...a thread spanning 13 pages more like. But its know that sometimes the A/B boundary decreases significantly but the U/E boundaries stays the same or even increases.
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
try to get ure hands on last years p1 examiners report, that exam had the same problems.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Do You know the grade bobundaries?

I cant get my hands on them...not like you can with AQA.School teacher arent exactly in college anymore.
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
no i dont, ull have to try to find one as thats the only place they are listed
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
See...secretive...or at least.not helpful
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Sadly, although they didnt give enough time it was a doable paper so they may say that E students should have been able to get 40% in that time. It may stay the same
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i doubt an e would be as high as 40%, last summers p1 was 50% for an a. and that wasnt as bad as p3
Xenon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
P3 grade boundaries had better be very very low. I'm expecting the boundary for an A to be in the 50s (well hoping anyway). Though knowing Edexcel, they will be idiots, and put it higher. Well if we all get lowish marks, they'd look like prats for setting such difficult exams.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
what do u think the grade boundary for an E grade will be?
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Wait, if they put the grade boundaries as low as that person said the boundaries for P1 was, then wouldn't that mean that if for an A you need 50 percent, for an E, you would basically have to write your name and you'd pass? Even for Edexcel that's ridiculus. But if to go down a grade, you lose 10 percent, wouldn't this be the case. But then again, do you really reckon the boundary for an A would be as low as 50 percent?
It'sPhil...
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
the boundries are always in terms of raw marks out of 75. What usually happens is the A boundry and E boundry get adjusted to fit the difficulty and the ones in between just get squashed together. The U/E boundry hardly ever changes much cos regardless of the difficulty of the paper loads of ppl get less than 20 out of 75 - the modal mark is often 0. i reckon E will be about 20-25 out of 75, which was pretty easy to get on that paper.

this will of course translate to a UMS of whatever E is maybe 30
Nylex
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
40 is the minimum UMS mark for an E (for papers out of 100 UMS marks).
Dam
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
Sadly, although they didnt give enough time it was a doable paper so they may say that E students should have been able to get 40% in that time. It may stay the same
I've just been looking back at the paper, and I think to get 40% was quite hard, well for me anyway!

But I only need 17% for a B thank god, though not sure I will even get that.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by It'sPhil...
the boundries are always in terms of raw marks out of 75. What usually happens is the A boundry and E boundry get adjusted to fit the difficulty and the ones in between just get squashed together. The U/E boundry hardly ever changes much cos regardless of the difficulty of the paper loads of ppl get less than 20 out of 75 - the modal mark is often 0. i reckon E will be about 20-25 out of 75, which was pretty easy to get on that paper.

this will of course translate to a UMS of whatever E is maybe 30
About the whole "regardless of the difficulty of the paper" thing. Surely, if the paper was difficult for an "A" student, then it would be virtually impossible for an "E" student.
It'sPhil...
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yes but if you look at statistics, even on "easy" papers with higher marks needed for an A, the number of very low scores is still very high. You do not get large fluctuations in the number of people acheiving below say 25 out of 75, even on papers with very different difficulties.

Also because more people get below an 20 than above an 50 out of 75 on all paper difficultiesthe effects of a difficult paper are less clear in the low marks and more obvious in the high marks ie even on "easy" papers large numbers get 0, where as on a diffucult paper very few get 75, but on an "easy" paper a large number will.

For this reason (i assume) edexcel rarely change the raw marks needed to get an E by much - it will definitely be lower than usual, but don't hold your breath on it being like 10 out of 75 cos it just won't happen.
Xenon
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Edexcel are a lousy board. If the paper is hard, then course a lot of people are going to get low marks. Now, keeping the score for an E the same would mean that less people would pass. Now that wouldn't be too good for Edexcel's reputation, as people would know about their inconsistency in setting papers. Why can't the newspapers report this inconsistency? It would really make the board stand up and change their standards.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by It'sPhil...)
yes but if you look at statistics, even on "easy" papers with higher marks needed for an A, the number of very low scores is still very high. You do not get large fluctuations in the number of people acheiving below say 25 out of 75, even on papers with very different difficulties.

Also because more people get below an 20 than above an 50 out of 75 on all paper difficultiesthe effects of a difficult paper are less clear in the low marks and more obvious in the high marks ie even on "easy" papers large numbers get 0, where as on a diffucult paper very few get 75, but on an "easy" paper a large number will.

For this reason (i assume) edexcel rarely change the raw marks needed to get an E by much - it will definitely be lower than usual, but don't hold your breath on it being like 10 out of 75 cos it just won't happen.
Not what I wanted to hear but Ill just have to accept it. What do u think it will be?
It'sPhil...
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Not what I wanted to hear but Ill just have to accept it. What do u think it will be?
I really don't know. On a paper this difficult its very hard to asses how drastically raw marks will be adjusted, and therefore hard to asses grade boundries. I do know that it will be lower than usual and you've almost definitely done better than you think
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads