Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Anyone else doing AQA Psychology sitting PYA4 and PYA5 soon? If so, any revision tips or stuff you're focusing on?
    How about anyone who's done them already - any advice?
    There's so much to learn!
    Hope everyone's exams are going well

ReputationRep:
    I know there is sooo much but as long as you have revised u will be fine (PYA4). It's PYA5 i am dreading and its worth more! Have not even started revison for it, the questions are weird at least with PYA4 you either know it or you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Hey guys,

Anyone else doing AQA Psychology sitting PYA4 and PYA5 soon? If so, any revision tips or stuff you're focusing on?
    How about anyone who's done them already - any advice?
    There's so much to learn!
    Hope everyone's exams are going well
    I did PYA4 in January and am doing PYA5 in a few weeks (AQA A?). For PYA4 there is just so much stuff to learn, so theres no point in learning more than 3 areas to give yourself a choice - there's no way you'll be able to learn all the stuff.
    I would recommend you dont try to remember every single study, just a few from each area and if two studies show the same thing there's little point learning them both in detail, you can just use one in support of the other as evaluation.
    Also, don't leave out any small sections in your revision because you think they won't come up. On the Jan paper there was a whole question on enivormental stressors and their effects on agression. If you're doing the pro and anti social behaviour module you'll know how small a section that is. I nearly didn't revise it as the exact same question had been on the last exam paper.
    Make sure you evaluate every single point you make, the exam board seem obsessed with evaluation at A2 level and like you to show loads more at AS. I backed up almost every point i made with some A02 stuff as well as putting a conclusion at the end of each essay. Use lots of comparisons between studies and theories and try to come up with a few evaluative points of your own that aren't in every textbook and so wont be recalled parot fashion by every student.
    Don't waste time writing long intros to your essays - you wont have enough time, just a line or two is fine. Make sure you always have a conlusion at the end of each essay. If you're short of time leave a gap after each question so you can go back and add more if you find you have any time left over at the end.
    Finally make sure you answer the exact question set, and try and relate back to it in your conclusion at the end. Just dont write out any model answers you may have remembered.

This is pretty much what I did and i got 90/90 in Jan.

PYA5......thats a different story. I'll be lucky to pass that as I haven't even started revising yeat and have ran out of motivation!

ReputationRep:
    i hate PYA 4! it doesnt help that my teacher was off for 1/2 a term but in jan i got 20/24 18/24 and then 5/24 lol! the last question i did on adult life events with gender was shite! my teacher said there was no way the board would ask it beacuse cardwell only wrote about 10 lines on it in his text book and they did! GRRRRRRR

ReputationRep:
    Riz, thank you so much for your brilliant advice. It helps a lot - and good luck with PYA5! Thanks again for taking the time to post all that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Riz, thank you so much for your brilliant advice. It helps a lot - and good luck with PYA5! Thanks again for taking the time to post all that
    No problem - good luck to you 2, I'm sure you'll do great!

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing A2 AQA-A on friday i have PYA4, did anyone do PYA4 in january? if so what questions where asked?
    id be very greatfull of any help thanks
    good luck with any exams

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone doing PYA5 on the 23rd (next wednesday)? If so, what parts of the specification are you studying, and what parts do you think will appear?
    I'm doing Psychopathology (depression, schizophrenia, phobias) and Debates (reductionism, freewill/determinism, nature/nurture).

ReputationRep:
    ^ Same!

ReputationRep:
    unit 5 we did classification systems, culture bound syndromes and multiple personality disorder, the other unit it was- issues & debates and approaches.
    we were told to do either issues OR debates, i done the issues coz the other one was too complex. what ones are you lot doing? hows the revision

ReputationRep:
    For Debates I think Free Will & Determinism is coming up.
    I'm not sure about Psychopathology, because the 3 have been up one after the other on June 02, Jan 03 and June 03. If I knew what Jan 04 was, it'd be easier to make a guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thom18)
    For Debates I think Free Will & Determinism is coming up.
    I'm not sure about Psychopathology, because the 3 have been up one after the other on June 02, Jan 03 and June 03. If I knew what Jan 04 was, it'd be easier to make a guess.
    Anxeity disorders came up in January, again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    Anxeity disorders came up in January, again
    Really? Oh well, then. It almost definitely won't be phobias then. I'll focus on the other two.

ReputationRep:
    I'm skimming Anxiety Disorders.. just remember that there is still a chance it could come up - just that it is NOT very likely at all! Depression or Schizophrenia are 95% certain to come up IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James_W)
    I'm skimming Anxiety Disorders.. just remember that there is still a chance it could come up - just that it is NOT very likely at all! Depression or Schizophrenia are 95% certain to come up IMO.
    I agree. I'll still look at phobias, but focus more on the others. Now I'll go and do that.

ReputationRep:
    wat u mean u think free will will come up, issues and debates will BOTH come up.

ReputationRep:
    there is sooooooo much to learn for pya4! its pretty annoying that you learn like 9 modules and then 6 of them are for nothing! which questions are you all doing? im doing 1,5 and 15 -gotta remember that in the exam! i hate evolutionary stuff and have a feeling that stereotypes will come up for social section altho its risky not knowing it all. Just remember its only 480 out of 600 for an A! XXXXX

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nats_012)
    there is sooooooo much to learn for pya4! its pretty annoying that you learn like 9 modules and then 6 of them are for nothing! which questions are you all doing? im doing 1,5 and 15 -gotta remember that in the exam! i hate evolutionary stuff and have a feeling that stereotypes will come up for social section altho its risky not knowing it all. Just remember its only 480 out of 600 for an A! XXXXX
    I agree PYA4 is hard in that respect. You need to know a great deal of stuff, and you get asked on something you know isn't your strongest point. Annoying.

ReputationRep:
    for PY04 i've done
    • biological thythms, sleep + dreaming
    • comparative (evolutionary)
    • language + thought
    for PY05 i've done
    • psychopathology
    • approaches
    • issues
    good luck everyone!

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    I did PYA4 in Jan...didn't get an amazing mark (B i think) but it meant that I only have to get an E in this exam to get an A saying that I haven't actually revised...I'm hoping for schizophrenia but i reckon depression. Debates? Hopefully Nature/nurture but knowing my luck it'll be freewill...I HATE IT! Think I'm just gonna learn other three. so glad I'm not doing pya4 as well...that must be a mission to learn on top of unit 5 and two other A2 levels. hope you're all coping...not long to go now !

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.