Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Medical questions, being ill, and exams watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I posted 2 weeks ago about being ill with tonsilitis. I was completely knocked out for a few days, but finished my antibiotics last week and felt fine. I've been really stressed over exams and revising like mad, but not been going out with friends and have put my part-time job in hold because I didn't want to risk getting ill again.

But last night my throat started to hurt... and I've woken up this morning with it swollen up like you wouldn't believe. I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon, but from what I can tell it's definitely tonsilitis again and I'm not feeling too great.

It doesn't seem too healthy that I'm getting severe tonsilitis twice in two weeks and just 8 days after finishing the antibiotics. Wondering if anyone with medical knowledge can say if it's likely that it's the same infection which didn't get killed off before (it's predominantly the same side of my throat as last time) or me getting ill all over again? And what can I do to boost my immune system? I'm incredibly stressed, so I guess that's the problem, but I've been drinking loads of water, taking vitamins and eating fruit to try and keep myself on track.

Also, is it worth me applying for special consideration in my exams? I could ask the doctor for a note this afternoon... I doubt it would make much difference but maybe it would be worth it? I desperately need my uni grades (which is why I'm so stressed). Being ill twice has affected my revision and I sat 3 exam papers yesterday feeling like my head was totally in the clouds.

Any advice welcome. Hope everyone else is doing okay

ReputationRep:
    Go to your school as soon as possible and see the exam secretary. He/she will give you advice and tell you what options are available. He/she will need a letter from a doctor within a week, so you do not need to ask your GP right away. Talk to your GP as well, but you must see the exam secretary. A letter from a GP will cost you a few quid.

I should know because my I broke collarbone a few weeks ago. The exam secretary was great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hornblower)
    Go to your school as soon as possible and see the exam secretary. He/she will give you advice and tell you what options are available. He/she will need a letter from a doctor within a week, so you do not need to ask your GP right away. Talk to your GP as well, but you must see the exam secretary. A letter from a GP will cost you a few quid.

I should know because my I broke collarbone a few weeks ago. The exam secretary was great.
    Thanks for the tips I've just e-mailed the exam secretary of the centre where I'm sitting my exams so I'll see what she says, and I'll ask my doctor at my appointment this afternoon. Thanks a lot for the advice - now just got to figure out a way to stop getting ill! Hope your collarbone is on the mend

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Hey all,

I posted 2 weeks ago about being ill with tonsilitis. I was completely knocked out for a few days, but finished my antibiotics last week and felt fine. I've been really stressed over exams and revising like mad, but not been going out with friends and have put my part-time job in hold because I didn't want to risk getting ill again.

But last night my throat started to hurt... and I've woken up this morning with it swollen up like you wouldn't believe. I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon, but from what I can tell it's definitely tonsilitis again and I'm not feeling too great.

It doesn't seem too healthy that I'm getting severe tonsilitis twice in two weeks and just 8 days after finishing the antibiotics. Wondering if anyone with medical knowledge can say if it's likely that it's the same infection which didn't get killed off before (it's predominantly the same side of my throat as last time) or me getting ill all over again? And what can I do to boost my immune system? I'm incredibly stressed, so I guess that's the problem, but I've been drinking loads of water, taking vitamins and eating fruit to try and keep myself on track.

Also, is it worth me applying for special consideration in my exams? I could ask the doctor for a note this afternoon... I doubt it would make much difference but maybe it would be worth it? I desperately need my uni grades (which is why I'm so stressed). Being ill twice has affected my revision and I sat 3 exam papers yesterday feeling like my head was totally in the clouds.

Any advice welcome. Hope everyone else is doing okay
    i can empathise with you as i had been feeling feverish lately and was unable to do much revison last week for my exams this week. it's gotten better but i can guess how frustrated you maybe. are you gcse or AS/A2? i dunno about medical advice but if it is a viral infection anitbiotics will do nothing so keep drinking water. but try paracetamol anyway?? when are your exams? get some rest and dont spend long on the computer! if ur really poorly then get a doctors note or smething

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihi)
    i can empathise with you as i had been feeling feverish lately and was unable to do much revison last week for my exams this week. it's gotten better but i can guess how frustrated you maybe. are you gcse or AS/A2? i dunno about medical advice but if it is a viral infection anitbiotics will do nothing so keep drinking water. but try paracetamol anyway?? when are your exams? get some rest and dont spend long on the computer! if ur really poorly then get a doctors note or smething
    Thanks for your reply I hope you feel completely better soon, I really know what you're going through. I'm doing A2s unfortunately, so not much room to mes up and resit - what about you? I got some antibiotics this afternoon which I hope will help, and I'm trying to drink lots of water and stuff but unfortunately even that's unbearably painful at the moment. I had an exam yesterday and then I've got some on Monday and Tuesday next week so I'm going to fight through as much revision as I can this weekend with the help of some medication and hopefully make it. Hope your exams weren't too bad in the end?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.