The Student Room Group

UCAS A2 predictions

I have a question about predicted grades. My daughter is predicted A star in Politics and A in both English and Philosophy. However, she got AABC in her AS Levels (B in Film Studies, which she has dropped - only just below an A) C in Philosophy.) The C was a massive shock & did not reflect her standard at all ( it's her best subject yet she got 95% in Politics, 69% in Philosophy) which is why they have given her the A estimate. She is re-sitting the AS in Philosophy, but she thinks that, given the nature of this exam (it's AQA, if that means anything to anyone) she may still not get an A even though she loves the subject with a passion, knows the material like her own name and revises intensively.

I should add that her school does not inflate predictions - their policy is estimates = same as AS grade unless very near next one up, but they do make rare exceptions & have told us she is one.

So, my question is - if her estimates go in as A star / A / A, will that or something near it be her offer, even if the Universities to which she applies do not have such high 'typical' offers? For example, Birmingham and Leeds are both AAB, which would be fine for her - but are they likely to see her estimates & ask her for A*/A/A? She's confident about at least an A in Politics, fairly confident for an A in English - but says a B in Philosophy is quite possible. What we want to avoid is a situation where she gets offers for grades which she may not make, even though she is capable of them! She is being realistic in her applications - no UCL or Warwick, but good universities nevertheless, with strong reputations in her subjects (Politics and Philosophy).

Any help with this question most gratefully received; it's probably the sort of thing which is glaringly obvious to some, but not to us!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by dontargue
I have a question about predicted grades. My daughter is predicted A star in Politics and A in both English and Philosophy. However, she got AABC in her AS Levels (B in Film Studies, which she has dropped - only just below an A) C in Philosophy.) The C was a massive shock & did not reflect her standard at all ( it's her best subject yet she got 95% in Politics, 69% in Philosophy) which is why they have given her the A estimate. She is re-sitting the AS in Philosophy, but she thinks that, given the nature of this exam (it's AQA, if that means anything to anyone) she may still not get an A even though she loves the subject with a passion, knows the material like her own name and revises intensively.

I should add that her school does not inflate predictions - their policy is estimates = same as AS grade unless very near next one up, but they do make rare exceptions & have told us she is one.

So, my question is - if her estimates go in as A star / A / A, will that or something near it be her offer, even if the Universities to which she applies do not have such high 'typical' offers? For example, Birmingham and Leeds are both AAB, which would be fine for her - but are they likely to see her estimates & ask her for A*/A/A? She's confident about at least an A in Politics, fairly confident for an A in English - but says a B in Philosophy is quite possible. What we want to avoid is a situation where she gets offers for grades which she may not make, even though she is capable of them! She is being realistic in her applications - no UCL or Warwick, but good universities nevertheless, with strong reputations in her subjects (Politics and Philosophy).

Any help with this question most gratefully received; it's probably the sort of thing which is glaringly obvious to some, but not to us!
Since the school has made an exception from their normal policy on predictions, I would anticipated that they'll make sure that the reference accounts for the gap between actual AS results and predicted A level results.

As to whether any of the unis she is applying to will base their offers on her predictions rather than their entry requirements, it's hard to say, but generally they don't. So I would expect Brum or Leeds to stick with AAB even if she's predicted higher than that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending