The Student Room Group

Final Fantasy

I recently discovered FF7 is available on iPhone this got me thinking how much I enjoyed FF8 and Maybe I should download 7 and should I get 13 and 13-2 on steam any way have you played any Final Fantasy games if you have which ones and what platform also what is your favourite and why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
FF9 on ps1! Amazing game

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jonathanemptage
I recently discovered FF7 is available on iPhone this got me thinking how much I enjoyed FF8 and Maybe I should download 7 and should I get 13 and 13-2 on steam any way have you played any Final Fantasy games if you have which ones and what platform also what is your favourite and why?

FF13 is terrible, don't buy it. FF7 on the otherhand is well worth playing, although I've never played it on phone/tablet so I can't comment on how well it plays on those.

7, 9, 6 and 10 are my personal favourites, in that order. FF7 introduced me to the series way back and is one of my favourite games of all time, but nostalgia aside, 6 and 9 are equally as good.
Ff7 > ff8
Reply 4
FF9 was my favourite for the story.
FF10 favourite for the gameplay and combat. Also enjoyed Blitzball.

I really need to give FF7 another shot, gave up after a few hours last time. FF10-2 was okay but a bit childish, FF12 was dull with an annoying combat system and boring characters, FF13 I didn't like the story or combat system at all.
Original post by Reue

I really need to give FF7 another shot, gave up after a few hours last time. FF10-2 was okay but a bit childish, FF12 was dull with an annoying combat system and boring characters, FF13 I didn't like the story or combat system at all.

If you enjoyed the FF9 story then you should enjoy FF7. Those two more closely resemble each other whereas FF8 was quite different in terms of style of story.

I might boot it up tonight and play :colondollar:
Reply 6
Original post by Reue

FF7 is still my favourite entry in the series. The series started to go downhill with the PS2. FF10 has a good combat engine and 10-2 probably has the best combat engine in an FF game but everything else was a bit too soap opera for me.
I put several hours into FF13 before giving up. The melodramatic story, terrible characters and linear direction made it feel like a complete waste of time.
Original post by Swindle
FF7 is still my favourite entry in the series. The series started to go downhill with the PS2. FF10 has a good combat engine and 10-2 probably has the best combat engine in an FF game but everything else was a bit too soap opera for me.
I put several hours into FF13 before giving up. The melodramatic story, terrible characters and linear direction made it feel like a complete waste of time.

I did forget how slow the game is though :colondollar:

Started FF7 last night and played for 2-2.25 hours but basically gotten nowhere.
Reply 8
Original post by Zerforax
I did forget how slow the game is though :colondollar:

Started FF7 last night and played for 2-2.25 hours but basically gotten nowhere.

I haven't played it for years, and yeah I'd probably find it slow compared to the gameplay/combat systems in today's games. But there's a certain old school charm to the lo-fi graphics and music. I really like the variation in environments - you can go from a ghetto slum > futuristic tower block > old European town > ninja village > a seaside town in one game.
I lost so many hours after school and countless late nights to levelling up my characters but it was worth it.
Original post by Swindle
I haven't played it for years, and yeah I'd probably find it slow compared to the gameplay/combat systems in today's games. But there's a certain old school charm to the lo-fi graphics and music. I really like the variation in environments - you can go from a ghetto slum > futuristic tower block > old European town > ninja village > a seaside town in one game.
I lost so many hours after school and countless late nights to levelling up my characters but it was worth it.

Me neither but I've said for years I've wanted to make time.

I also love how the game grows so to start with it's pretty playful and light and then slowly grows into something more sad and serious and finally into something epic.

Oh and I had forgotten how amazing the music is!

Probably should be leveling up my characters a little more..
Hyped af for FFXV.

Given the recent trend for Squeenix to make ports to PC, I'm really hoping for a PC version of KH3 and FFXV. If not I'll probably pick up a PS4 next year.
Reply 11
Me neither but I've said for years I've wanted to make time.

I also love how the game grows so to start with it's pretty playful and light and then slowly grows into something more sad and serious and finally into something epic.

Oh and I had forgotten how amazing the music is!

Probably should be leveling up my characters a little more..

Yeah man the sense progression is really good in FF7. I like the way all the bizarre locations - each with their own moods and themes just blend together. Later FF games were a bit more safer in my opinion and went down the linear soap opera route as the tech allowed for increasingly realistic visuals.
Original post by Swindle
Yeah man the sense progression is really good in FF7. I like the way all the bizarre locations - each with their own moods and themes just blend together. Later FF games were a bit more safer in my opinion and went down the linear soap opera route as the tech allowed for increasingly realistic visuals.

I think I've only played FFVI to FFX and nothing since.

The only thing I'm struggling with in this FF7 replay is how long it takes to progress. I thought I'd have finished half the game by now :colondollar:
Reply 13
In my opinion, FF6 is the best; followed by FF7 and FF9. FF13 and FF13-2 are amazing if you like watching cutscenes and running through corridors, otherwise they're awful.
Reply 14
I think I've only played FFVI to FFX and nothing since.

The only thing I'm struggling with in this FF7 replay is how long it takes to progress. I thought I'd have finished half the game by now :colondollar:

Are you playing FF7 on a PlayStation home console or PC? If I had to go thru FF7 today, I'd pick up a PSVita and play it on that.
Yeah the level grinding can be time consuming.

Original post by AH127
In my opinion, FF6 is the best; followed by FF7 and FF9. FF13 and FF13-2 are amazing if you like watching cutscenes and running through corridors, otherwise they're awful.

Dumped about 13 hours into FF13 a couple of years ago and was blown away at how stripped down and linear the game felt. It was virtually one corridor to another.
Haven't returned to it since.
Reply 15
Original post by Swindle
Dumped about 13 hours into FF13 a couple of years ago and was blown away at how stripped down and linear the game felt. It was virtually one corridor to another.

I've heard someone try to defend it by saying "It gets better after the first 50 hours!". That's like trying to convince someone that it's worth dragging their c*ck and balls through 10 miles of glass just because it's replaced by a few miles of pointed rocks afterwards.
Original post by AH127

FF6 was a pretty short and simple storyline. I played it not that long ago and while I enjoyed it it never really felt epic?

Original post by Swindle
Are you playing FF7 on a PlayStation home console or PC? If I had to go thru FF7 today, I'd pick up a PSVita and play it on that.
Yeah the level grinding can be time consuming.

Playing on an old playstation :colondollar:

Well I'm a few hours in and Cloud is only level 10.. woops!

Played pokemon blue recently and even fighting some random encounters + other players you have to battle = high leveled team.

Whereas FF you actually have to put some time in..
FF7 is easily the best. Then FF8, then FF9, then FF10.

Original post by Swindle

The entire game is the definition of linear. There is never any point at which you have a choice of going one of two ways.
I loved FF7, FF8 and FF10, they're my favourites. I liked Crisis Core too. Didn't like FF13, FF4, FF12 or FF10-2 as much.
Reply 19
Original post by AH127
I've heard someone try to defend it by saying "It gets better after the first 50 hours!". That's like trying to convince someone that it's worth dragging their c*ck and balls through 10 miles of glass just because it's replaced by a few miles of pointed rocks afterwards.

Yeah, I heard about that too - game opens up by chapter 11 or something and everything up to that point is a linear tutorial. I couldn't sit thru all that though. The characters in FF13 are insufferable.

FF6 was a pretty short and simple storyline. I played it not that long ago and while I enjoyed it it never really felt epic?

Playing on an old playstation :colondollar:

Well I'm a few hours in and Cloud is only level 10.. woops!

Played pokemon blue recently and even fighting some random encounters + other players you have to battle = high leveled team.

Whereas FF you actually have to put some time in..

You're only level 10 after a few hours? Doesn't Cloud start on level 9? I had the third limit break unlocked by the time I was up against the first boss.

Quick Reply

Latest