Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else have S3 tomorrow? Have any tips of key things to know? This is the one I have been dreading along with P3

ReputationRep:
    s3 hmmmm. Learn which test to use and when. There's nothing worse than coming out of s3 and everyone else saying they used the two sample test and you've gone and used the paired t test or something, especially as s3 has very high mark questions.

also combining variances, i'm not very good at this but the questions they ask usually require you to find AVar(X) rather than Var (AX) which is A^2Var(X)

can someone give me a quick guide to combining variances and which of the above to use and when please!!

ReputationRep:
    I think its gonna be quite easy actually
    I'm doing edexcel... haven't done t tests... thats like s4/5/6 for edexcel... lol

Tip for the edexcel people is to mermorise all the methods, advantages and disadvantages of all the types of sampling... also learn all the assumptions behind everything... there are too many to type here, but if you look in past papers it always comes up...
    combining variances... hmmm... thats quite dodgy... it depends on the question... I think jonas123, you have the right idea... its A x var(X)... only when they say find the variance of 4X+Y or sumthing then you do 4^2 x var(X) + var(Y)... but those questions are quite rare in edexcel... most of the time its just Avar(x)... also remember to divide s.d by root n when doing difference of mean test etc...
    also remember to add up the E values when under 5 in goodness of fit tests...
    rest is pretty straight forward... just do some practise and im sure you will all do fine

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, Im doing edexcel too tomorrow and I always forget about the columns beong less than 5! Lets hope i dont tomorrow

I can do most topics although the mean hypothesis ones are the most difficult

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 10, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.