The Student Room Group

Apart from Halls - Other Accommodation available?

Hi,

I'm not planning to go to Uni until next year at the earliest, but i'll be 25 when I start and I am planning on moving away from my town and to a City Uni. However, as i'd be moving away i'm not sure whether I really want to live in halls with a bunch of 18 year olds.

In a way, I want to move out of home because at 25 I feel it's about time to spread my wings and become independent, however there's no way i'd be able to afford my own house (yet).

So, I was just wondering if there are any other options (especially for mature students). Obviously, the social aspect of not living in halls limits me but at the end of the day, there are other ways of making new friends whilst in a new city, i'll probably be working part time for example. I hope to have £10,000 saved up for Uni by next year.

Anyone have any idea? Do all 1st years that move away live in halls?

Thanks
Reply 1
I think living in halls would be part of the experience and it would be sad to miss it! I am sure that you can ask to be put in a flat with other mature students! I know some unis even have halls for gap year and mature students. you should give it a try, I mean, you're not that old at 25:smile:
Reply 2
To be honest I was surprised at how few 18 year olds there there were at uni! Within my flat and the flat opposite there are only 3 18 year olds. The rest are 19, 20 and 21 and we all get on really well. So at 25 I wouldn't say that you were really that old to be living in halls.
Reply 3
Look into halls for mature students (over 21's) at the Uni you will be applying to.
there are always areas for the mature students in uni accomodation - just check them out :smile:
Reply 5
or you could look into a house share, there were loads of posters around uni at the start of the year looking for housemates for their spare room(s).

Latest

Trending

Trending