jvstdan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I've recently turned 21, September 2014 I started a new path at University in my home town and I hated it. Come February I had dropped out. To be fair, I never wanted to go in the first place but I was out of work so went anyway.

Fast forward to September 2015, and I withdraw from University before it even started due to the fact that I had a job and I didn't want a repeat of last year where I don't enjoy it. The difference this year was I was going to move out of home and go elsewhere, and now I regret withdrawing.

So that leaves September 2016, next year. I'll be 22 just before the academic year starts, which just leaves me wondering if I'll be too old to share a place with (potentially) a bunch of 18 year olds? I'm not boring and still like to do all the things I did at 18, so I'll fit in great, I just don't want to be seen as the "grandad" of the group? - That said, I look about 17 which may be a good thing... I'm looking at a 4 year course so will be 25 when I leave
ZetaMu
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jvstdan)
So I've recently turned 21, September 2014 I started a new path at University in my home town and I hated it. Come February I had dropped out. To be fair, I never wanted to go in the first place but I was out of work so went anyway.

Fast forward to September 2015, and I withdraw from University before it even started due to the fact that I had a job and I didn't want a repeat of last year where I don't enjoy it. The difference this year was I was going to move out of home and go elsewhere, and now I regret withdrawing.

So that leaves September 2016, next year. I'll be 22 just before the academic year starts, which just leaves me wondering if I'll be too old to share a place with (potentially) a bunch of 18 year olds? I'm not boring and still like to do all the things I did at 18, so I'll fit in great, I just don't want to be seen as the "grandad" of the group? - That said, I look about 17 which may be a good thing... I'm looking at a 4 year course so will be 25 when I leave
Why are you being silly? My best friend back at uni was doing his second degree so he was 21 when he started with us. We didn't even know for a year haha! Didn't make even the slightest difference to anything
GuyFromTheFuture
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Listen carefully to what I'm gonna say. You seem to overthink and overanalyse over silly non sense things. This is probably why you didn't enjoy university. I was the same but then I learned how to overcome it. Shut your mind off and just do it Your mind can be your worst enemy. Peace out
peanutbuttercup
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're never too old as cliche as it may sound! I started at 22, didn't like my course, but really enjoyed the social aspect. I then started first year again at 23 studying a different course but same uni and am now going in to second year. With your previous experience you're likely to be more motivated. Just go with the flow, join societies etc and take your studies seriously and you should be fine!
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Plenty of threads on TSR about starting uni as a 20-something mature student. They always ask the same thing and always get the same answer. Don't worry, go for it, good luck etc.
jimmy_looks_2ice
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I've just started uni as a mature student twice the age of most of the students on my course. I've only been in for two lectures so far (welcome events for the entire freshman School of English students), but no one yet has commented on my age or had any noticeable reaction to me so far (to my knowledge); perhaps I don't look my age, but I think it's pretty obvious I'm not a teenager! I'd imagine, if you're only in your early 20s and you're happy to go into halls, you'll fit in fairly seamlessly. I opted to live off-campus right from year 1, so I think it will take a little longer for me to settle in.

I think the bigger issue is for you to make a firm decision about where you want to study and stick with it once you get started. It's human nature to ponder about the road not taken - I admit I've had the odd moment this week where I've thought about what it would be like had I gone elsewhere, but you have to stop comparison shopping. Accept that every uni/course will have it's pros and cons and the likelihood is you'd also have doubts about uni b had you chosen to go there instead of uni a, and then just crack on and make the most of the choice you've made!
Vanny17
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Age is just a number. Most University students won't care about your age. You are still under 30 anyways, so I wouldn't worry if I were you. Don't worry, you will fit it. I wish you all the best in going back to University next year.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

No one cares about age, at uni people just want like minded friends and you are very unlikely to be the youngest. The only reason you'd be seen as granddad is if you started trying to nag people- 18 year olds fresh from home don't tend to be particularly clean for example.
passivepineapple
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ZetaMu)
Why are you being silly? My best friend back at uni was doing his second degree so he was 21 when he started with us. We didn't even know for a year haha! Didn't make even the slightest difference to anything
What degrees was he doing, and how did he fund a second degree?
k3ro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i doubt anyone will actually notice.

one of my best friends at uni was 23 and i didnt even realise until we were in 3rd yr that he was a mature student lmfao
ZuluK
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm starting on Monday and I'm 21!! It'll be fine (I say hopefully) there are people who are over 30 on my course so don't worry! Youll be fine
peanutbuttercup
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by k3ro)
i doubt anyone will actually notice.

one of my best friends at uni was 23 and i didnt even realise until we were in 3rd yr that he was a mature student lmfao
Lmaaaaaooooo

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads