The Student Room Group

Strange complex numbers question

I'm working through some worksheets I've been sent by Oxford University to attempt before I get there, and there's this question on complex numbers I just can't make work:

Show that the mapping w = z +c/z,where z = x + iy, w = u + iv and c is a real number, maps the circle |z| = 1 in the z plane into an ellipse in the w plane and find its equation.

I've tried multiplying through by z, and multiplying the final term by z*/z* to make a real bottom, before equating real and imaginary bits. I've also tried finding u and v in terms of x and y, but I can't arrive at an equation for an ellipse.

Thanks for any help
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
x

Haven't worked through it, but this may be helpful:

You know that x2+y2=1x^2 + y^2 = 1 and that w=x+cxx2+y2+i(ycyx2+y2)=x+cx+i(ycy)\displaystyle w = x + \frac{cx}{x^2 + y^2} + i \left(y - \frac{cy}{x^2 + y^2}\right) = x+ cx +i (y-cy)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
Haven't worked through it, but this may be helpful:

You know that x2+y2=1x^2 + y^2 = 1 and that w=x+cxx2+y2+i(ycyx2+y2)=x+cy+i(ycy)\displaystyle w = x + \frac{cx}{x^2 + y^2} + i \left(y - \frac{cy}{x^2 + y^2}\right) = x+ cy +i (y-cy)

Thanks for the reply. I've tried something similar to that, and I've got it in all kinds of different forms, but I still can't find a solution. The answer has to be in the form:

u^2/a^2 + v^2/b^2 = 1, doesn't it? I've not a clue how I'd arrive at anything like that :/
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply. I've tried something similar to that, and I've got it in all kinds of different forms, but I still can't find a solution. The answer has to be in the form:

u^2/a^2 + v^2/b^2 = 1, doesn't it? I've not a clue how I'd arrive at anything like that :/

Okay, I got it!

You have the form u+iv=x+cx+i(ycy)\displaystyle u + iv = x + cx + i(y-cy) as above. Comparing the real and imaginary parts - we have u=x(1+c)    x=u1+c\displaystyle u = x(1+c) \implies x = \frac{u}{1+c} - do the same and isolate yy in terms of vv.

Now you know that x2+y2=1x^2 + y^2 = 1, and you have xx and yy in terms of uu and vv - so substitute 'em in.
Original post by Zacken
Okay, I got it!

You have the form u+iv=x+cx+i(ycy)\displaystyle u + iv = x + cx + i(y-cy) as above. Comparing the real and imaginary parts - we have u=x(1+c)    x=u1+c\displaystyle u = x(1+c) \implies x = \frac{u}{1+c} - do the same and isolate yy in terms of vv.

Now you know that x2+y2=1x^2 + y^2 = 1, and you have xx and yy in terms of uu and vv - so substitute 'em in.

Aargh! I got x and y in u and v, but I didn't think to substitute them into that equation! :facepalm:

Thank you so much, you're a genius :P
Reply 5
Aargh! I got x and y in u and v, but I didn't think to substitute them into that equation! :facepalm:

Thank you so much, you're a genius :P

Just a stroke of luck on my part seeing that.

Have fun at Oxford! I'm infinitely envious. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest