How was nuffield unit 2 chemistry? watch

ReputationRep:
    how did u lot find it?
    n how do u get solid iodine?

ReputationRep:
    i think its by distillation.
    it was ok - dont know about the summary tho

ReputationRep:
    summary woz d easiest, al though i only spent 1 hr revisin on both unit 1 + 2, i though it wernt bad, an i wished i wpuld of revised, coz d questions were quite straight forward, newayz im droppin it

ReputationRep:
    yah it was OK

the iodine extraction question caused a couple of problems....

dya know what the answer for the question where you had to find:
    reagents:
    conditions:

from 1,2 dichloethane to 1, chloro .....
    i did unit 1 as well.... i found it piss easy

ReputationRep:
    i think that's reagent: (alcoholic) KOH
    conditions: in ethanol, heat/reflux

For some reason they like you to put the solvent of the KOH as part of the conditions, but I put it on both lines, because i think of KOH in ethanol as the reagent

ReputationRep:
    To get solid iodine i said distillation too, the hydrocarbon will boil off leaving you with the black iodine solid.

ReputationRep:
    i put
    Reagents: KOH
    Conditions: Reflux / Heat, hydrated

i know its wrong... but how many marks was it out of... how many do yah think i'll get

i put distillation for the iodine thing too, but i haf no idea??

ReputationRep:
    i think you'd get 1 mark out of 2 ... but I'm not sure. What do you mean by hydrated ? They want you to put the solvent for the KOH.

ReputationRep:
    the exam was too easy (im doin a resit) gotta a D last yr, but i think i made sum silly mistakes. damn.
    good exam though.

ReputationRep:
    It's not good when they're so easy, because every does well and the grade boundaries become so high ... that's when any silly mistakes you might have made have horrible consequences I would have liked them to be a bit more challenging.

ReputationRep:
    yeh truesay grade boundaries probbly will b higher. damn.
    hey like the butterfly icon though.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I found unit one SO easy, and then section A unit 2 quite hard to be honest - in comparison anyway...i had spend most time revising topics one to six. :-(

Wasn't the Section B unit 2 SO easy - i mean !!!!!!! Defining random terms! What is heterolytic fission! lol btw

Did people get the type/mechanism to be electrophyllic addition?

I had no idea about whether they were soluble or insoluble - last question - i remember doing it but it had sort of trace decayed in my mind....anyone now what the right answer was? And what was formed with ammonia?

ReputationRep:
    yeh i said it was electrophilic addition by a halogen.

wut were the pvc uses? (i wrote in frames n raincoats --> was doin this question in past paper) but im not sure.

in da first question when it sed wut was the final colour of solution? is it colourless or purple?

ReputationRep:
    the type was a halogenation and the mechanism was an electrphilic addition

i know ive lost 4 marks already, which is depressing, as this is a retake and i need 100+/120 to get a B (im gna fail synoptic its so hard)

some parts of that paper were really easy like the diagram of ethene and section B. but i got the dihalogen thingy wrong and the iodine extraction was evil :mad: . the colour of the solution in the end was another equally nice question.

the ammonia goes to ammonium chloride

the boundaries wont change by much as its 96/120 which if u think is 48/60 which is pretty high and people are bound to lose marks somewhere

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't the question how would yo get 1,2-dichloroethane from ethene?
    Thus the reagents would be chlorine and the conditions in darkness and without heat?
    Did i read the question wrong or something?

Other than that very nice paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vp03)
    yeh i said it was electrophilic addition by a halogen.

wut were the pvc uses? (i wrote in frames n raincoats --> was doin this question in past paper) but im not sure.

in da first question when it sed wut was the final colour of solution? is it colourless or purple?
    I think in previous markschemes it was black or dark violet something along those lines. Because Iodine (I2) was liberated.

ReputationRep:
    weren't there two questions about iodine? one where chlorine displaced iodine or something.. and then about it's colour in the hydrocarbon layer? I got brown for the first one and then purple. is this right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSamanthax)
    I found unit one SO easy, and then section A unit 2 quite hard to be honest - in comparison anyway...i had spend most time revising topics one to six. :-(

Wasn't the Section B unit 2 SO easy - i mean !!!!!!! Defining random terms! What is heterolytic fission! lol btw
    Totally agree with the above!

A lot of people were saying that the unit 1 was easy, I hoping I did quite well on that because I know I did crap on Unit 2 (well section A anyway). Section B was pleasently surprising though, much easier than I was expecting so I hope that pushes up my grade a little!

ReputationRep:
    I agree- found paper 1 pretty good, hated paper 2 due to lack of revision on all the organicy stuff and lack of revision
    xx
    oh well, thats what resit are for!! now just got to finsih some last minutes s1 revision for my exam tomorrow and I'm (FINALLY) DONE! hurrah.
    xx

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.