How important is your personal statement as part of your UCAS application?

Watch
lamosley
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm very conflicted towards how good my personal statement is, since different people have said different things about it and I've compared it some of the others that I've read, and I don't think it's as eloquently written as them, which is kind of problematic when I want to apply for English Language and Literature.

I was just wondering how important my personal statement would be in the application, for instance, is it going to prevent me getting offers if it isn't as well articulated as some others.

My AS grades are AAAB and I'm thinking of applying to some Russell Group universities such as Nottingham, Leeds and Birmingham.
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lamosley)
I'm very conflicted towards how good my personal statement is, since different people have said different things about it and I've compared it some of the others that I've read, and I don't think it's as eloquently written as them, which is kind of problematic when I want to apply for English Language and Literature.

I was just wondering how important my personal statement would be in the application, for instance, is it going to prevent me getting offers if it isn't as well articulated as some others.

My AS grades are AAAB and I'm thinking of applying to some Russell Group universities such as Nottingham, Leeds and Birmingham.
It completely depends on the course and the university. I've seen universities and courses that don't seem to care much about it at all, and universities and courses that seem to care quite a lot. I don't know what Nottingham, Leeds and Birmingham's English departments think about it but I do remember reading an admissions statement from Bristol's English department where there's a 70/30 split between your personal statement and grades when you apply so for them, the personal statement is extremely important. I don't know to what extent other universities care about it but I'd have thought it'd be more important for a subject like English than a science subject, for instance. Having said that, the contents of your personal statement is more important than how well it reads. The most important thing is that you've explained why you want to study the subject and why you're a good candidate for the subjects (rather than reeling off a list of irrelevant extracurriculars).
jess_12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Personal statements are really important! Make sure all your points are developed and you've backed up any facts or skills you claim to have with evidence! Lots of it!! And as long as it's easy to read and you come across as a well rounded person with a passion for the course (although don't use the word passion, it is overused) and like I said EVIDENCE EVIDENCE EVIDENCE, they won't care that much about how eloquent you are. If you try to be it may come across as fake and unlike you. Just be you
username638250
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jess_12)
Personal statements are really important! Make sure all your points are developed and you've backed up any facts or skills you claim to have with evidence! Lots of it!! And as long as it's easy to read and you come across as a well rounded person with a passion for the course (although don't use the word passion, it is overused) and like I said EVIDENCE EVIDENCE EVIDENCE, they won't care that much about how eloquent you are. If you try to be it may come across as fake and unlike you. Just be you
Well rounded isn't really that important tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (638)
33.47%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (805)
42.24%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (377)
19.78%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.51%

Watched Threads