The Student Room Group

Do I drop History??!!

So I'm currently taking five A Levels: History, Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Biology. I was always intending on dropping one, but I'm now struggling to decide which one! I would like to study Economics at university which is why I won't drop maths or fm, but you don't actually need economics a level so I could drop that if I wanted. I'm really interested in history, however I didn't do as well as I should've at GCSE and even though Biology isn't relevant to Economics I did well in it at GCSE and I reckon I could do well at A Level, so what do people think I should drop: Economics, History or Biology??
Thanks!!!
It's hard to say since everyone is different, but it might benefit you to have an essay subject (history or economics) but at the same time, you need to be sure you choose the ones you will do well in.

The big question is, which do you enjoy least? It doesn't matter how good you are in a subject, if you don't enjoy it then the next year will not be that great. Although normally you like subjects you do well in and vice versa.

What did you get at GCSE?
I would recommend dropping Biology but yeah, not if you enjoy it that much more than History. And yeah you could drop Economics but I wouldn't if I were you - it will make your applications that much weaker.
Reply 3
Original post by Lozzie97
It's hard to say since everyone is different, but it might benefit you to have an essay subject (history or economics) but at the same time, you need to be sure you choose the ones you will do well in.

The big question is, which do you enjoy least? It doesn't matter how good you are in a subject, if you don't enjoy it then the next year will not be that great. Although normally you like subjects you do well in and vice versa.

What did you get at GCSE?

Yeah I know I need an essay subject, just don't know which haha. See I've been trying to work out what I like the least but if I'm honest I like them all!! If i had to dislike one it'd be maths but I need to keep that...

At the moment I have 8 a*s in Maths, Biology, French, Geography, Chemistry, Art, English Lit and RE, and 3 As in History, English Lang and Physics! So as you see I only got an A in GCSE History when i should've ended up with an A*!
Reply 4
Original post by fragilities
I would recommend dropping Biology but yeah, not if you enjoy it that much more than History. And yeah you could drop Economics but I wouldn't if I were you - it will make your applications that much weaker.

Thanks for your reply! Do you think it's worth taking Biology over History if I'm more likely to get a better grade in it or do you still think History??

Also on an email from LSE they said I'd be at no disadvantage for dropping Economics, but I'm still worried that I'll regret dropping it ahh
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AYK21
Yeah I know I need an essay subject, just don't know which haha. See I've been trying to work out what I like the least but if I'm honest I like them all!! If i had to dislike one it'd be maths but I need to keep that...

At the moment I have 8 a*s in Maths, Biology, French, Geography, Chemistry, Art, English Lit and RE, and 3 As in History, English Lang and Physics! So as you see I only got an A in GCSE History when i should've ended up with an A*!

An A is still good. Id drop Biology as it has no relevance to your chosen career, plus without chemistry it is kind of useless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Ben4
An A is still good. Id drop Biology as it has no relevance to your chosen career, plus without chemistry it is kind of useless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply! I was initially always leaning towards Biology as I was thinking the same, that it'd be useless for my future but wouldn't it look good if i got a good grade in it as it is a facilitating subject??
Original post by AYK21
Thanks for your reply! Do you think it's worth taking Biology over History if I'm more likely to get a better grade in it or do you still think History??

Also on an email from LSE they said I'd be at no disadvantage for dropping Economics, but I'm still worried that I'll regret dropping it ahh

If it's just the difference between an A* and A then I still think History, because of what Ben said :smile:

And you can't just apply to LSE! And any uni will ask why you dropped Economics, so only drop it if you have a big reason to that you can explain
Original post by AYK21
Thanks for the reply! I was initially always leaning towards Biology as I was thinking the same, that it'd be useless for my future but wouldn't it look good if i got a good grade in it as it is a facilitating subject??

It would look good! But personally for an economics course I think an A in history is better than an A in biology. Whos to say that if you do history you will do worse than biology because you got a lower gcse grade in history than bio? I got an A* in Maths and an A in biology gcse and I got the same AS level grade for both. So.. really its up to how much you work, if you enjoy history definitely pick it over biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AYK21

To be honest, my 'essay' subject was economics and I only did that at AS (got an A but wanted to concentrate on chemistry, biology and maths).

Be warned, history is a hell of a lot of work.

We got extremely similar GCSE results.
Reply 10
Original post by fragilities
If it's just the difference between an A* and A then I still think History, because of what Ben said :smile:

And you can't just apply to LSE! And any uni will ask why you dropped Economics, so only drop it if you have a big reason to that you can explain

Haha, thanks! Don't worry I wouldn't apply just there, it's just a dream! Yeah I guess it's be hard to explain to them why I didn't take the subject I'm planning to do a degree in!!
Reply 11
Original post by Ben4
It would look good! But personally for an economics course I think an A in history is better than an A in biology. Whos to say that if you do history you will do worse than biology because you got a lower gcse grade in history than bio? I got an A* in Maths and an A in biology gcse and I got the same AS level grade for both. So.. really its up to how much you work, if you enjoy history definitely pick it over biology.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thank you so much for your help! I know that the final decision is down to me, but i'm really struggling with it haha
Reply 12
To be honest, my 'essay' subject was economics and I only did that at AS (got an A but wanted to concentrate on chemistry, biology and maths).

Be warned, history is a hell of a lot of work.

We got extremely similar GCSE results.

So are you looking at doing a degree in economics or?

Yeah even at GCSE it was the only thing I revised for, so I know I'd have to work extremely hard for it now!
Original post by AYK21
So are you looking at doing a degree in economics or?

Yeah even at GCSE it was the only thing I revised for, so I know I'd have to work extremely hard for it now!

No, but I seriously considered it. And chemistry. And maths. But I've settled on medicine now.

Yeah, maybe that gives the indication that you should drop it. Because all A levels take work. And the more work you had to put in at GCSE to do well then the more you have to put in at A level, from what I've experienced and observed.
Reply 14
No, but I seriously considered it. And chemistry. And maths. But I've settled on medicine now.

Yeah, maybe that gives the indication that you should drop it. Because all A levels take work. And the more work you had to put in at GCSE to do well then the more you have to put in at A level, from what I've experienced and observed.

Haha well good luck with medicine! I hope you do well!:smile:

Mm yeah, that's a very valid point! However my history course would relate to doing an economics degree a lot more as there's actually quite a lot of economics involved
Original post by AYK21
Haha well good luck with medicine! I hope you do well!:smile:

Mm yeah, that's a very valid point! However my history course would relate to doing an economics degree a lot more as there's actually quite a lot of economics involved

Thank you! :smile:

Hmm... That's an interesting point. I guess you've got to be realistic about what you think you'll get in it and look at entry requirements of places you might wanna go.

Remember than your subjects don't all have to link. Best to choose what you are good at and enjoy... while making sure you cover entry requirements and keep your options open! :P
Personally I would say history is going to link much better with your other subjects that biology, you've said yourself there's quite a lot of economics involved. Whilst it is corrrect that not all your subjects have to link, in my opinion the top universities will be more impressed with history especially with the economic sections, because it shows that you're clearly very dedicated to economics that you're prepared to learn even more about it, and in a different context.

Quick Reply

Latest