Why authoritarianism is always necessary Watch

alex_cs
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Some people like to focus on individual freedoms and liberty. But a society based on that could only work if people were to some extent rational and able to co-operate with each other. But, sadly, almost all people are completely irrational. If they had freedom to do anything they would just follow their base instincts and passions and slaughter each other.
These people need strong leaders to tell them what to do. They are like sheep. They can't understand morality, so laws have to be made to restrain them.
These people are the reason that rule by aristocracy is justified, and why focusing on individual rights is the wrong approach.
MatureStudent36
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by alex_cs)
Some people like to focus on individual freedoms and liberty. But a society based on that could only work if people were to some extent rational and able to co-operate with each other. But, sadly, almost all people are completely irrational. If they had freedom to do anything they would just follow their base instincts and passions and slaughter each other.
These people need strong leaders to tell them what to do. They are like sheep. They can't understand morality, so laws have to be made to restrain them.
These people are the reason that rule by aristocracy is justified, and why focusing on individual rights is the wrong approach.
And yet we live happily in a society that goes against what you're advocating.
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
And yet we live happily in a society that goes against what you're advocating.
Not really. All governments are more or less authoritarian (and left-wing). The opposite is merely the absence of government. That's why it's right-wing libertarians who advocate abolition of the state.
WalkingAbortion
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
only if you're a weak minded little man who needs to be dominated, why not spare the rest of us & just get yourself into BDSM?
gladders
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think that a truer claim would be that both freedom and control are necessary, and that the history of human governments is the struggle of contention over which should prevail in particular circumstances.

Freedom and liberty should be favoured where possible, but sometimes, for the sake of security, control is needed in particular areas. As long as that control is justified and accountable to the people.
alex_cs
Rep:
?
(Original post by scrotgrot)
Not really. All governments are more or less authoritarian (and left-wing). The opposite is merely the absence of government. That's why it's right-wing libertarians who advocate abolition of the state.
My post is actually a right-wing argument for government. The left-wing argument is based around a government being needed to prevent inequality.

(Original post by gladders)
I think that a truer claim would be that both freedom and control are necessary, and that the history of human governments is the struggle of contention over which should prevail in particular circumstances.

Freedom and liberty should be favoured where possible, but sometimes, for the sake of security, control is needed in particular areas. As long as that control is justified and accountable to the people.
Why does the control need to be justified and accountable to the people?
scrotgrot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My post is actually a right-wing argument for government. The left-wing argument is based around a government being needed to prevent inequality.
Not exclusively: I am on the left and I only abhor inequality when it obstructs progress and opportunities. The reason I am on the left is that I think this is the case in our economy today.

Most left-wingers including me and those as "extreme" as Jeremy Corbyn believe in free (unequal) markets, just not when it comes to public services: the reason being everyone needs access to these so they can take opportunities, learn the skills which result in progress, and have the platform in society that means their ingenuity can be noticed, rewarded and exploited.
NHM713
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why aren't you questioning, why people follow their "base instincts"?
gladders
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Why does the control need to be justified and accountable to the people?
Because if it's not, then that behaviour has a high likelihood of being authoritarian.
alex_cs
Rep:
?
(Original post by gladders)
Because if it's not, then that behaviour has a high likelihood of being authoritarian.
My point was that authoritarianism is necessary, because of the reasons I give in my original post.
gladders
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My point was that authoritarianism is necessary, because of the reasons I give in my original post.
Well, what type of authoritarian regime are you preferring? One in which those subject to an authoritarian act have no means of address abuse or redressing grievances, or one in which nobody has free speech and an elite dictate law, and anyone who questions them is 'done away with'?
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If people are all slaves to their basic instincts would it not be foolish to give a small group of people the power to exert their will, without question, on others.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (135)
18.12%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (76)
10.2%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (128)
17.18%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (106)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (74)
9.93%
How can I be the best version of myself? (226)
30.34%

Watched Threads