The Student Room Group

Urgency of Root Canal

Hi!

I have recently moved from city to a small town where there are no NHS dentists taking on patients. I had to go to an emergency dentist last month due to toothache and it turned out I has bad decay in one tooth down to the root. So I signed up to a private dentist in my town to get it filled in the hope of saving it.

I just went back due to sensitivity and one afternoon of toothache and the dentist confirmed the tooth is nearly dead and I need a root canal. It's already at the point where I feel nothing with that test where they put something very cold on the side of the tooth.

However, the earliest appointment to start the treatment (which I won't get because I am on holiday next week) is 20th October!! In addition,they want to charge me £445 which I flat out can't afford right now.

I managed to get on the waiting list for an NHS place out of town, who can do the treatment for just £50. The waiting list here is 1-2 months... After that I'd need to have a normal check up with them, then the treatment, so it could take a little longer to get it sorted there than at my current dentist, although hopefully only by a few weeks.

What I want to know is, how urgent is root canal treatment at this point? I thought it was something that should be done ASAP but the fact my dentist can't do it for two months anyway implies perhaps not?

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest