Birmingham vs Leeds University

Watch
eshayadlay96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
g'day
Im from australia and am planning on going on exchange next year, i was initially thinking of going to a university around london but have come to realise it's a bit out of my budget. I have since considered the Univeristy of Birmingham or Leeds but due to me not being from england i really have no idea on what these universities/cites have to offer. I'm mainly looking for somewhere with a good night life and social aspect of uni, and of course a decent curriculum would be beneficial but is not my highest priority as i'm mainly doing it for the experience. Any knowledge/experience of the night life of these two cities would be appreciated as well as a general insight into what these uni's are like socially.
cheers
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by eshayadlay96)
g'day
Im from australia and am planning on going on exchange next year, i was initially thinking of going to a university around london but have come to realise it's a bit out of my budget. I have since considered the Univeristy of Birmingham or Leeds but due to me not being from england i really have no idea on what these universities/cites have to offer. I'm mainly looking for somewhere with a good night life and social aspect of uni, and of course a decent curriculum would be beneficial but is not my highest priority as i'm mainly doing it for the experience. Any knowledge/experience of the night life of these two cities would be appreciated as well as a general insight into what these uni's are like socially.
cheers
Hi,

We aren't the University of Birmingham, but we are based just outside Birmingham city centre, if you have any specific questions i'm a local and happy to help.

Here is what some fellow Ozzy's thought of us and the city of Birmingham: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwW-ERBCmCU

Josh
iamux
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
leeds beckett
TorpidPhil
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want nightlife you will love Leeds. LOVE.
eshayadlay96
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Aston University)
Hi,

We aren't the University of Birmingham, but we are based just outside Birmingham city centre, if you have any specific questions i'm a local and happy to help.

Here is what some fellow Ozzy's thought of us and the city of Birmingham: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwW-ERBCmCU

Josh
Yeah I have looked into Aston because my uni has recommended it for engineering. What a coincidence tho haha qut is actually the university i go to.
eshayadlay96
Rep:
?
(Original post by digitalangel18)
Since I have lived in Leeds the entirety of my 19 years of life I can say it has AMAZING night/social life. The gay clubs are the best Gay Mission, Fibre etc (better music, better looking people) There's 2 massive shopping centres. There's an arena for concerts, an okay football team at elland road and the Headingly stadium is home to the winners of the rugby super league. As for the university it depends on what your into.

Have you thought about Nottingham or Manchester?

(From what I've seen in my opinion Birmingham is a bit scruffy...)
Leeds is sounding like a good option! I have thought about nottingham and manchester but unfortunately my university doesn't offer exchange programs there, I am limited to:
OxfordBrookes University
SheffieldHallam University
Universityof Hull
Universityof Exeter
Universityof Essex
Universityof Leeds
AstonUniversity
LancasterUniversity
Universityof Birmingham
genson
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If it's just nightlife you're after and the experience I'd say Leeds because Leeds is in the city whereas Birmingham is just outside the city (about <10min train ride). Birmingham is better academically but I don't think the nightlife is as varied. Also, if you live in Leeds, it's only about an 1hr to get to Manchester by train which is another great city.

Long story short: nightlife/student experience - Leeds. Well-rounded mixed of academics and student experience - Birmingham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
georgehlaw
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm Canadian, and this is the first time I hear someone goes to a university for the night life. If I were on an exchange, I would choose Cambrige or Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
eshayadlay96
Rep:
?
Mate of course you'd like to go to oxford or Cambridge but like I said I don't have that option I already go to decent a university where I'm from. Since I'm only going on exchange for a semester and the units I do on exchange do not contribute to my final results I'm not too concerned on the academic side of the uni jut mainly looking for somewhere sociable and somewhere I can easily access to the rest of Europe to travel.
genson
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by georgehlaw)
I'm Canadian, and this is the first time I hear someone goes to a university for the night life. If I were on an exchange, I would choose Cambrige or Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You must be very sheltered.

Lots of people go to university for the nightlife or for the student experience. I'm not saying that's the right thing to do but it does happen all the time and that's their prerogative.

Posted from TSR Mobile
georgehlaw
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, as far as I know, most of the reputable MBA, law, and graduate programs look for grades in last two years or all years, regardless of where one obtains those grades.

Following is my personal experience. I was in a course titled marketing strategy, where I was required to be in a team of three, and do a strategic planning project for a local business. Among us, one teammate was an exchange student with a finance major. He did contribute a lot in the financial projection part. However, he also had planned on various trips. Therefore, the majority of the project was done by me and my only teammate. Since business course projects are primarily team based, my friends and I often see having an exchange student in a team as a burden. Grading based on scale makes this even worse, given competition among students is highly intense.

If you are not in business, or don't plan on graduate programs, you may please ignore my comments.

Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sharmila_Student
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Leeds is sounding like a good option! I have thought about nottingham and manchester but unfortunately my university doesn't offer exchange programs there, I am limited to:
OxfordBrookes University
SheffieldHallam University
Universityof Hull
Universityof Exeter
Universityof Essex
Universityof Leeds
AstonUniversity
LancasterUniversity
Universityof Birmingham
Hi!
I'm going into my final year at Essex and would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have!
^Sharmila
Aston University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah I have looked into Aston because my uni has recommended it for engineering. What a coincidence tho haha qut is actually the university i go to.
Ha! Fantastic, the world really is a small place now days. You might even be able to track some of the guys in the video down and ask them about their experiences. We not only have a solid grounding in engineering but a world renown Business school and award winning Languages and Science departments.

If you want any more information just give me a shout.

Josh
eshayadlay96
Rep:
?
anyone have an idea what oxford brookes is like? is there many international students?
Oceanrouge
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Birmingham is a **** hole , go to Leeds it`s a better place to live in compared to Birmingham .
Regarding the university I think Leeds is just as good Birmingham so go for Leeds <3
katya11en
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Both are great Russell group uni's.

I way prefer Brum than Leeds. On the league tables they're very similar but Birmingham comes out slightly better. Birmingham also tends to have slightly higher entry requirements eg. Brum medicine A* AA vs Leeds AAA. In terms of prestige they are around the same but Birmingham Uni did have the highest graduate employment out of all Uni's in the UK in 2015 and 2016 so potentially better job prospects.

Both have lovely campuses but personally I prefer Brum, it has a beautiful leafy redbrick campus in the suburbs. At the same time Brum uni has a train station on campus which is amazing making it easy to get into the city center. Lovely balance between a thriving city and the serene suburbs.

Accommodation at Brum is fantastic and new, afraid I cant speak for Leeds. Both cities are good with a good night life, but its all about personal preference. Brum is the second biggest city in the UK though so arguably there's more going on and it has had a lot of money spend on redevelopment in the last few years.

Sport at Birmingham is of a very high standard, and it usually comes up among the top 5 in the UK in university sports league tables. I hear the drama and music are strong as well!

I recommend visiting both before deciding but I would say Birmingham is a better all round university with a strong academic, musical and sporty reputation.

Birmingham > Leeds
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by katya11en)
Both are great Russell group uni's.

I way prefer Brum than Leeds. On the league tables they're very similar but Birmingham comes out slightly better. Birmingham also tends to have slightly higher entry requirements eg. Brum medicine A* AA vs Leeds AAA. In terms of prestige they are around the same but Birmingham Uni did have the highest graduate employment out of all Uni's in the UK in 2015 and 2016 so potentially better job prospects.

Both have lovely campuses but personally I prefer Brum, it has a beautiful leafy redbrick campus in the suburbs. At the same time Brum uni has a train station on campus which is amazing making it easy to get into the city center. Lovely balance between a thriving city and the serene suburbs.

Accommodation at Brum is fantastic and new, afraid I cant speak for Leeds. Both cities are good with a good night life, but its all about personal preference. Brum is the second biggest city in the UK though so arguably there's more going on and it has had a lot of money spend on redevelopment in the last few years.

Sport at Birmingham is of a very high standard, and it usually comes up among the top 5 in the UK in university sports league tables. I hear the drama and music are strong as well!

I recommend visiting both before deciding but I would say Birmingham is a better all round university with a strong academic, musical and sporty reputation.

Birmingham > Leeds
This thread is five months old - I dare say the OP has made their decisions already.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.44%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.29%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.77%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.05%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.03%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.42%

Watched Threads