Ear plugs for clubbing... Watch

LittleFurry
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Basically, I don't want to leave uni with tinnitus/at the least damaged hearing - so I want to wear plugs clubbing. I've already done this a couple times and it actually made the music sound better cause I could hear it... but people ask about them and even my boyfriend was really unpleasant and said they were weird and it was unattractive of me.
Does anyone have any suggestions of ones that are less visible and still let you hear people?

What does everyone else think? I know lots of people have been fine... but lots of ppl do get hearing damage and apparently clubs are a lot louder now than they used to be. Would you judge someone for wearing them?
claireestelle
  • Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by LittleFurry)
Basically, I don't want to leave uni with tinnitus/at the least damaged hearing - so I want to wear plugs clubbing. I've already done this a couple times and it actually made the music sound better cause I could hear it... but people ask about them and even my boyfriend was really unpleasant and said they were weird and it was unattractive of me.
Does anyone have any suggestions of ones that are less visible and still let you hear people?

What does everyone else think? I know lots of people have been fine... but lots of ppl do get hearing damage and apparently clubs are a lot louder now than they used to be. Would you judge someone for wearing them?
I wouldnt judge someone for wearing them at all, you're trying to look after your health after all. You could get silicone ones as they're normally clear so might be a little less visible than foam ones? (But personally the only way you'd get me in a nightclub these days is with earplugs so i probably don't have the same attitude towards it as other students would).
Inazuma
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I assume you're female?
Can you not just wear your hair over then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Magnus Taylor
Badges: 15
Report 3 years ago
It is a bit weird
SophieSmall
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I wouldn't judge someone for wearing them, because it's a much smarter thing to do. Clubs are very loud and hearing loss in young people is becoming more prevalent due to places like clubs and wearing earphones at a loud volume.

Anyone to judge you or call you weird is a complete moron, it's not weird to not want to be deaf by the time you're 60. People laugh it off and say "oh it's not a big deal" ... well actually it is and the statistics don't look good. So again they're completely moronic.

Also your boyfriend is a **** for saying that. What stupid thing to say.
Black Cat
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Magnus Taylor)
It is a bit weird
You wouldn't want to live with tinnitus buddy, it drives people crazy better to be safe than sorry.
DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A friend on mine used to wear ear plugs clubbing because he had tinnitus from professional fighting.

He used to get them off the shooting team.

I thought it was a little strange at first, but thinking about it, you can't really hear anything in a club anyway.
lilza
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago

I don't go clubbing, but I go to concerts a lot and I always wear these earplugs http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elacin-ER20S...ords=earplugs/

They're not noticeable if you cover them with your hair (assuming you're a girl) and they make the music sound better
jlwman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
yes I suffer from the same problem. Two small drops of superglue are just about enough so you can still hear, but it blocks the really high frequencies of the soundwaves (these are the things that cause the ringing sensation) superglue was intended for human contact and will wash out in the shower. Hope this helps.
Leviathan1741
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think wear earplugs is a good idea as they help protect your hearing, and like you say, it actually makes the music clearer and less distorted. I would suggest getting silicone earplugs, as you can mould them to fit your ears and don't fall out easily like the foam ones do. I always wear earplugs to the rock and metal concerts I go to, the volume level would be intolerable for me otherwise
LittleFurry
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by lilza)
I don't go clubbing, but I go to concerts a lot and I always wear these earplugs http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elacin-ER20S...ords=earplugs/

They're not noticeable if you cover them with your hair (assuming you're a girl) and they make the music sound better
Thanks - do you find they're not too large for your ears? Some reviews said that :/ And do the ends not stick out too much?
lilza
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks - do you find they're not too large for your ears? Some reviews said that :/ And do the ends not stick out too much?
They're fine for my ears. And yes, they do stick out a bit. But if you have thick hair it shouldn't matter
money-for-all
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
HAHAHAH this dude be wearing a plug and he lookin' like a right mug , init
HenryKenry
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
When you go clubbing pop the ear plugs in, leave your hair down so the hair covers them.

Or just do as you please, its your life.
Stiff Little Fingers
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you go to any musical instrument shop you should be able to get some, performers tend to get them for protection while on stage. Perfectly sensible thing to do - I went to a gig earlier this month and my ears were buzzing like a beehive dipped in MDMA for about 2/3 days afterwards, and it is not a nice feeling.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (17)
14.29%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (8)
6.72%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (24)
20.17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (19)
15.97%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (15)
12.61%
How can I be the best version of myself? (36)
30.25%

Watched Threads