Turn on thread page Beta

Career Advice In terms of UNI COURSE! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well been to every goverment career advisory service and they all suck when it comes to academia.
    Anyways- Currently awaiting my GCSE results predicted about 7 A's altogether 11 passes.
    I would like to do any of the following:

Medicine,
    Mechanical/Aueronotical Engineering
    Optometry,
    Pharmacy,

Ive got into a good six form to study- Physics, Chemistry, Bio and IT.

Would these be suitable and what grades should I Be aiming for to get into the desired courses. Also how difficult are each of these A Levels ( Predicted A*'s for all four A levels im going to be doing at GCSE)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Goku_ssj4
    Well been to every goverment career advisory service and they all suck when it comes to academia.
    Anyways- Currently awaiting my GCSE results predicted about 7 A's altogether 11 passes.

Medicine,
    Optometry,
    Pharmacy,

Would these be suitable and what grades should I Be aiming for to get into the desired courses. Also how difficult are each of these A Levels ( Predicted A*'s for all four A levels im going to be doing at GCSE)
    Thanks
    Visit http://www.ucas.com/ for a list of courses and requirements. Its not possible to get an A* at A Level.

ReputationRep:
    lol, I know that! Im saying that I am predicted A* For Chemistry GCSE, BIOLOGY GCSE, IT GCSE AND PHYSICS GCSE. Not for A level!

Thanks for the website will have a look!

ReputationRep:
    I know for medicine, you usually need ABB or better.

Phil

ReputationRep:
    I think for Engineering, you'd probably need both Maths and Physics.

Speaking of difficulty, I didn't find AS Physics too hard. A2 was quite a bit more difficult though.

ReputationRep:
    For engineering courses, most uni's ask for maths and physics I think. Your subjects definitely are suitable for going into medicine or pharmacy. Not sure what requirements are for optometry though I would say definitely physics and maybe maths. Having IT is good cos it is a bit different to science-y subjects - when going into medicine especially they like you to have a range of subjects. My friend who is going to do medicine got told to carry on music to A2 level cos it balanced her otherwise science subjects out.

Goku_ssj4, you shouldn't plan your future on the basis of predicted grades alone. I was predicted grades that were way off, and as a result, I was bitterly disappointed come results day.

Teachers tend to over-generalise. You could get 2 Cs, 6 Ds and 3 Es, then what will you do? I'd wait until results day if I were you, or create a contingency plan so that you know what to do whatever your results are.

Hope everything goes well.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't you overdoing the research? you haven't even got your GCSE results yet!!

ReputationRep:
    Well I knew what I wanted to do before I got my GCSE results, although I didn't worry too much about the grades at that point but I still had a career plan, and I definitely knew I wanted to do Forensic Science, and I still do. Over the past 2 years of 6th form the plan hasn't really changed except for the fact that I am doing a chemistry based degree rather than a forensic science one. It doesn't hurt to know what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Goku_ssj4

Medicine,
    Optometry,
    Pharmacy,

Would these be suitable and what grades should I Be aiming for to get into the desired courses. Also how difficult are each of these A Levels
    Medicine - they like you having about 3 of: chem, bio, math, physics.
    Engineering - physics is v important, perhaps math, IT helps too
    Optometry - Bio & chem are important
    Pharmacy- chemistry is all thats really required. although bio helps.

on the difficulty level of these subjects, from experience, chemistry is challenging throughout the year, but learning for the exam is quite easy because a lot of it is learning formulae, shapes & structures of molecules, reactions (eg Na + O2 = NaO2 or Na2O) biology is just facts facts and more facts. if u find the subject interesting, then u will enjoy the a level, its not much harder than gcse. all sciences have coursework elements. the bio coursework is about the same as the gcse one u would have done, and the chem courseworkS (yes there are quite a few) are all really small, and u dont really have to write anything up, its all a list of observations & inferences.

physics & IT i didnt take, but I hear that IT has quite a large amount of coursework, which is always good coz it means that a substansial % of ur grade can be obtained by doing well on coursework which u have loads of time to complete with the help of books & other sources.

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    cheerz guy especially tweetsy that was really a great help.
    All the advice is brillaint. So what did u guys, who are doing the sujects ive chosen for A level, get at GCSE and then AS level ?

Thanks once again

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do Bio, Chem or IT, but I did do Physics. AA in Double Science GCSE and an A for Physics at AS, waiting for A Level results.

ReputationRep:
    I did Chemistry and Physics - at GSCE I got A* in Chemsirty and A in Physics, then at AS I got C for both. So i have done loads of retakes cos that was pretty pants and I am waiting for my A2 results.

ReputationRep:
    at gcse i did double science coz i thought i didnt much like the subject, and got A*A*. then discovering it was more interesting then i thought, i ended up taking both chem & bio for AS and A2
    For AS i got an A for both. A2 results pending. and now i'm about to embark on a biology degree at uni! (was considering medicine but couldnt stand the idea of gore, was considering pharmacology, but discovered i dont like chemistry that much. i was greatly influenced by my chem teachers who sucked big time.)

ReputationRep:
    I think that, whatever you do, choose one subject that is just that little different from the rest so that you can increase your options later at uni. There's always a chance that you won't enjoy what you choose to do, and so you could easily swap to a different course.

ReputationRep:
    Teachers tend to over-generalise.
    Are you sure, i always thought at gcse's teachers predict the lowest grades you can get, just to push you more.

ReputationRep:
    This summer I received my GCSEs and got 7A* s including double A* for science and A* for Maths.
    i have decided to do Further maths+all 3 sciences for AS with intntions of dropping physics for A2.
    I wish to do do medicine in uni, but if thats not possible then accountancy is another option as I will have maths.
    so it maybe wirth for u to think about maths, as it's very good with physics but also for medicine i think.

(Original post by _Devour_You)
    This summer I received my GCSEs and got 7A* s including double A* for science and A* for Maths.
    i have decided to do Further maths+all 3 sciences for AS with intntions of dropping physics for A2.
    I wish to do do medicine in uni, but if thats not possible then accountancy is another option as I will have maths.
    so it maybe wirth for u to think about maths, as it's very good with physics but also for medicine i think.

For engineering - particularly mechanical engineering - physics ISN'T (contrary to popular belief) the most imnportant subject, maths is. obviously physics would be highly advised though, but the maths grade is more important.

PS do engineering - loadsa £££ in it.

If you want to keep open engineering as well as life sciences you really need to do maths. I suggest dropping the IT as that is the one subject you dont need for any of the courses you are thinking of doing, even for computer science they prefer physics and maths to IT. My sister does pharmacy and although chemistry is the only compulsory subject she said its really hard for people in the first year who dont have biology or maths.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.