Something that happened really upset me and I can't stop thinking about it, help :/

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I know that most people will see this as no big deal but something happened and it's made me feel upset for 2 days :/. Basically my friend has 2 pet rats both quite old now (known each other from babies I think they are sisters) and one of them has had a lump for weeks and can't use her hand now as the lump is on her elbow. It seems she is in pain now apart from when she's sleeping but yesterday my friend decided to have her put to sleep. I went with him as he was upset I went round to his where he collected the rat and it was lying with the other rat with it's head on it then it started to lick and from it. My friend just said there's no easy way to do it and he just took her out of the cage into the carrier (to take to the vets). The other rat was watching and is now on it's own.

I wouldn't have thought it would upset me much but it's just the way that it was lying with it's head on the other rat and licking/grooming her that got to me and the way the other rat was looking when he took her out of the cage and the fact the other one is on it's own. I didn't cry or anything but can't stop thinking of it

Am I going over the top, just wanted advice :/
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
It's a rat tho. A bloody rat.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
Unless it's a pet rat. If it's house mice then good riddance
shawn_o1
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I thought "pet mice" or "pet rats" never existed, only "pet hamsters"
Philbert
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can understand why you're upset, that is sad If the rat was suffering, then it was the kindest thing to do. It wouldn't have been any different if she had just died naturally, the other rat would still have had to watch her be taken away.
mini459
Badges: 0
Report 4 years ago
we're naturally empathetic so it's normal that you would feel that way. I would've felt the same way, it's sad . It's funny really because I had two fish and one died and I felt bad for the other one.. but I guess thats a fish who has a memory span of about 2 seconds haha. But you're not over reacting, rats have feelings too, but at least it's not in pain anymore.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by shawn_o1)
I thought "pet mice" or "pet rats" never existed, only "pet hamsters"
Its suprising what people dont know ha, yea they have pet mice, rats even pet insects Tho i dont get the appeal of an insect then again some people dont get the appeal of any pets. Oh and they have leads where you can take your rat for a walk i didnt know that, have a look on you tube! Lol
LillyLisaa
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Awww :'(
Hashim123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well thanks OP, for yet another reason to add to my already foot-long list of reasons to be depressed. I hope you're happy with yourself.
starlight82
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You're not over the top, it's quite sad. It's not nice to see anyone or anything in pain :hugs:
Hevachan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Definitely not over the top.. I've cried when fish have died haha life is precious, no matter how small the animal i think if you listen to some sad songs and have a cry then you'll feel better
black_mamba
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's not over the top. It's human to have some degree of empathy. You were putting yourself into the mind of the rat that lost it's sister and recognised it was sad, because you saw it behave in a caring way, you knew it had feelings and emotions and probably would feel a huge sense of loss. At least that poor animal is not in pain anymore. Her friend will be sad for a bit but hopefully will forget (lots of interaction from humans is a reasonable substitute).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (98)
61.64%
No (61)
38.36%

Watched Threads