The Student Room Group

Do you need 4 AS levels?!

Hey, I'm currently beginning my AS levels and am studying Maths, Physics, DT and Geography, however our school is now saying that we should only do 3 AS levels...

I would like to study architecture at a Russell/ Good university and am planning to drop geography at the end of this year, unless one of my other grades subjects goes horribly wrong. However I was just wondering whether it was worth dropping geography now in order to get better grades in the subjects I need as my school is saying I should (they are saying this to everyone not just me). Any help would be great,

Thanks
Original post by Androclus
Hey, I'm currently beginning my AS levels and am studying Maths, Physics, DT and Geography, however our school is now saying that we should only do 3 AS levels...

I would like to study architecture at a Russell/ Good university and am planning to drop geography at the end of this year, unless one of my other grades subjects goes horribly wrong. However I was just wondering whether it was worth dropping geography now in order to get better grades in the subjects I need as my school is saying I should (they are saying this to everyone not just me). Any help would be great,

Thanks

personally i think that focusing on just three is to your benefit, but if you find that one of the subjects is not how you expected and decide that you don't want to continue it for another year then a fourth subject can be a handy back up
also your AS grade that you drop does count towards your UCAS points (A = 60 points, B = 50, etc)

basically it depends on how confident you are with the three that you do take
Original post by Androclus

Thanks

I'd go on the websites of the universities you like and check to see if they require a fourth AS; for competitive courses like Medicine they tend to ask for it (I'm not sure how competitive Architecture is but if you're applying to Russell Group unis...). If not, it really depends on you - if you think you can do 4 to a good standard (which is perfectly achievable) I'd say go for it. If you find you're really not enjoying a subject part way through the year you can always drop it. There's also other things to consider like the amount of UCAS tariff points you need (though some universities prefer to go off grades, which is again why you want to be doing some research), and the prospect of getting better grades if you only do 3, as you've mentioned.
Hopefully that helps you a bit :smile:
Reply 3
I'd take 4 AS levels. Gives you more leeway at A2 as you could drop one.

Quick Reply

Latest