The Student Room Group

Mac and DSA?

OK hear me out I have my needs assessment next Friday. I'm not trying to take advantage of DAS.

I'm dyslexic and doing graphic design. My course will require a use Mac.

Is there anyway can get a mac with the adobe design suite or just the adobe design suite for free for my laptop.

My Uni does allow us to use the software in our free time to finish work but I work very slow and not comfortable with working it in a environment that I not familiar with and where there are other people.

I'm with SFW

Also did people get a printer is so how did you justify that.

Thanks for reading
Original post by MaxFree
OK hear me out I have my needs assessment next Friday. I'm not trying to take advantage of DAS.

Is there anyway can get a mac with the adobe design suite or just the adobe design suite for free for my laptop.

My Uni does allow us to use the software in our free time to finish work but I work very slow and not comfortable with working it in a environment that I not familiar with and where there are other people.

I'm with SFW

Thanks for reading

I was with SFW for a couple of years and they gave me a scanner (to use with the read and write software) but didnt give me a printer as my course was pretty much completely electronic submission. I'm not sure what their policy currently is on macs but they only cover software if you're dyslexia means you utterly need it so they wont give you an adobe design license to be honest themselves. For that I d go see your universities it people and ask if they can offer a discount on it or something?
Reply 2
Original post by MaxFree

I'm with SFW

Thanks for reading

I'm not 100% sure because I am with SFE but this is the way I understand things: DSA covers extra costs that you incur because of your disability. Since the Mac & software are costs that all students on your course will have then DSA probably will not cover it. The only way that I think they would fund the software is if you could show that your disability means you can't use the facilities at university.

I got a printer through DSA (although this was before all the changes and cutbacks were made) as I find it nearly impossible to use the library or other public facilities due to my mental health so they funded a printer for me so that I was able to work from my flat.

Hope your assessment goes well
You'd probably have to pay the difference between the recommended laptop and the upgrade to the mac.

DSA will only pay costs you have as a disabled student and not costs that you have as a student.

Quick Reply

Latest