Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    or is it always suvat

ReputationRep:
    I'm assuming this is for as level physics?
    It's not strictly an equation of motion but you do need to apply it in some SUVAT questions if i remember correctly.

(Original post by runny4)
    or is it always suvat
    Well, it's an equation of motion in the sense that it can be applied to problems about objects in motion but, strictly speaking, it's a law of motion. Newton's second law of motion, specifically.

SUVATs are better termed 'equations of motion under constant acceleration.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Well, it's an equation of motion in the sense that it can be applied to problems about objects in motion but, strictly speaking, it's a law of motion. Newton's second law of motion, specifically.

SUVATs are better termed 'equations of motion under constant acceleration.'
    ok thank you. and what would something like f=kx be classified as?

(Original post by runny4)
    ok thank you. and what would something like f=kx be classified as?
    Hooke's law. You really don't need these classifications to be honest. The only reason they call the SUVATs that is because it's short for 'equations of motion under constant acceleration.' That's important because that tells you that they can't be used in every circumstance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    Hooke's law. You really don't need these classifications to be honest. The only reason they call the SUVATs that is because it's short for 'equations of motion under constant acceleration.' That's important because that tells you that they can't be used in every circumstance.
    ok thank you this was just for my personal statement and i want to be technically correct.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah what Hydeman says, I don't recall ever seeing a previous exam question asking to define something as equation of motion etc.

ReputationRep:
    It is an equation of motion because it provides the link between forces and motion. Basically, when stuff happens a load of forces act on something. They sum up to the resultant force. F = ma tells you what the acceleration of an object is due to that resultant force. Then once you know an object's acceleration (and initial velocity/position) you can calculate its dynamics, i.e. where it will go under the action of the forces.

It's really just semantics, but I've always called it the equation of motion and everyone I taught has always understood what it means.

SUVAT are just a bunch of equations you memorise because A-level physics has been stripped of calculus. Nobody ever uses SUVAT at university or beyond. But you will always use F = ma.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 24, 2015
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.