The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Will only having done three AS levels affect my chance of getting university offers?

Hello,

Last year I only did three AS levels, Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I did well and got three A's and would like to apply to study chemistry at Imperial, Durham, Warwick and Bristol. Will only having three AS grades affect my chances of receiving an offer? I have lots of relevant extra-curricular and have a true passion for the subject.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Scroll to see replies

I don't think it should, especially if you are predicted good grades. Why did you only take 3? Did your school not let you?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
It's fine
Well generally you can't go straight to university with just AS grades so I highly recommend to do one more year of it to get a 3 full A-levels and I am sure you will do well this year considering your 3 A's. You have a much higher chance getting accepted to these university next year. You should add the extra-curricular stuff in your personal statement.
No UK University asks for more than 3 A levels.

Only at Oxbridge, and other Unis for courses like Medicine, will they be interested in a 4th AS level.

Btw, for most courses, Bristol doesn't look at AS grades at all. This is probably true for some other Unis as well.
Original post by tanyapotter
I don't think it should, especially if you are predicted good grades. Why did you only take 3? Did your school not let you?

Thank you!
It was a confidence thing, I wasn't sure I could handle four but now looking back on it I know that I could have.
Original post by sakuraton
Well generally you can't go straight to university with just AS grades so I highly recommend to do one more year of it to get a 3 full A-levels and I am sure you will do well this year considering your 3 A's. You have a much higher chance getting accepted to these university next year. You should add the extra-curricular stuff in your personal statement.

I am applying for the 2016 entry and am completing my A2 levels this year. Thanks :smile:
Original post by returnmigrant

Only at Oxbridge, and other Unis for courses like Medicine, will they be interested in a 4th AS level.

Btw, for most courses, Bristol doesn't look at AS grades at all. This is probably true for some other Unis as well.

Thank you, do you know why Bristol doesn't look at AS grades, or what they look at instead?

What do Bristol look at? A2 predictions? GCSE's?
Original post by sianasiggers
Hello,

Last year I only did three AS levels, Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I did well and got three A's and would like to apply to study chemistry at Imperial, Durham, Warwick and Bristol. Will only having three AS grades affect my chances of receiving an offer? I have lots of relevant extra-curricular and have a true passion for the subject.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

You could be at a disadvantage because most other applicants will have 4 ASes, especially for Imperial/Durham and for subjects without interviews. What are your predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No UK university asks for more than 3 A Levels if you haven't done more than three, but I think in a previous reply to one of your posts I said that there are definitely courses which ask for four A Levels if you're doing four.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You wont get into Imperial imho. Most people do 5 AS (F.maths Maths + 3 science) and get 5 As
Original post by seizetoday
You wont get into Imperial imho. Most people do 5 AS (F.maths Maths + 3 science) and get 5 As

Most do four, five is an exaggeration.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yl95
Most do four, five is an exaggeration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone does 4. Most people who successfully got into Imperial that I know did 5. But you can ofcourse get in with 4.
Everyone does 4. Most people who successfully got into Imperial that I know did 5. But you can ofcourse get in with 4.

I am at Imperial. Everyone I know (over 100) bar two or three did four.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm only doing maths, physics, fmaths and german - you've worried me! should i have taken chemistry instead of german?!
Original post by tanyapotter
i'm only doing maths, physics, fmaths and german - you've worried me! should i have taken chemistry instead of german?!

You will be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yl95
You could be at a disadvantage because most other applicants will have 4 ASes, especially for Imperial/Durham and for subjects without interviews. What are your predictions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am predicted 2A*s and an A. Do you think that it would help if I take AS further maths this year?
Original post by sianasiggers
I am predicted 2A*s and an A. Do you think that it would help if I take AS further maths this year?

Yep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm looking to do chemistry, but only have 2 maths/science subjects (doing maths, chemistry, english lit. and geog) - could this hinder my application?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending