The Student Room Group

Discontinued Thread.

Discontinued

Note: This is my blog for Grow Your Grades from September 2015.

Hello everybody, welcome to my blog on my journey to GCSE success. :biggrin:

I'm currently in Year 10 and I live in the UK. I will be taking my GCSEs in 2017 and will be the first year group to sit the new 9-1 GCSEs in English Language & Literature and Mathematics. I'm feeling a bit nervous about starting Year 10 but at the same time excited.

Current Grades (Autumn Term 1)
Computing - C3 [Year 10 Target - B2]
French - B1 [Year 10 Target - B2]
History - B3 [Year 10 Target - B2]
English Language - C3 [Year 10 Target - B2]
English Literature - C3 [Year 10 Target - B2]
Mathematics - C2 [Year 10 Target - B2]
Biology - D1 [Year 10 Target - C1] *
Chemistry - C2 [Year 10 Target - B2]
Physics - C3 [Year 10 Target - B3]

* Biology isn't my strongest subject as I'm really struggling with the subject especially with my Biology teacher. I do aim for at least A* - B in every subject and it'll remain my target.

My Classes
English - Set 1
Maths - Set 3
Triple Science - Set 1
For History,Computing and French I'm not put into sets

Exam Boards
English Language & Literature - AQA
Mathematics - Edexcel Linear
Biology - AQA
Chemistry - AQA
Physics - AQA
Computing - OCR
French - AQA
History - OCR B: Modern World History

Other Useful Stuff
Revision/Study Tips - Credit to @MrMackyTv
- Be persistent.
- Be organised and neat with work so you can easily review it later when you need it.
- If you're struggling, ask the teacher (or friends ) or do some research by yourself on the internet to help you understand. Things like YouTube, BBC Bitesize et cetera...
- Be creative with notes, don't just write them out, hightlight important things to remember and keywords.
- Don't just copy from a textbook, you won't understand. Instead read the textbook then when you're making the notes try to put it into your own words, simplify it so it can be easier to comprehend.
- Get LOTS of sleep (more sleep = happier you and happier you = nailing exams ).
- Also on that note, read your notes/textbook/work before you go to bed because it will be easier to remember.
- Find out your learning style. You could be an audio learner, visual, kinesthetic...
- IMPORTANT: Plan ahead, if your going to do 2 hours of studying tomorrow make sure you do that, if you only manage to do 1 hour don't let that discourage you. You can always make up for it the next day, maybe the next day your planning to do 2 hours but since you missed out on 1 hour that day you add it on to make 3 hours. Just have that mindset and it will get you through it.
- Don't stress, more you do the more likely you are going to freak out mid-test and possibly fail.

Current Year 10 thread

Useful Resources

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey welcome! This is going to be fun! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by MrMackyTv
Hey welcome! This is going to be fun! :biggrin:

Thanks for the welcome @MrMackyTv :biggrin: . It'll be a fun journey ahead provided that I stop procrastinating like @Lemur14 (sorry mate - It's not just you).

I'll be updating from tomorrow.
Reply 3
Update 25/09/15 & 26/09/15

Welcome to my new thread, CoffeeAndPoliticss Journey to GCSE Success. :biggrin:

Today was a straightforward day than yesterday. I had double Maths, Chemistry and French which went well. For Maths I'm currently doing Surds(Grade A/A*) and will probably spend another 1 or 2 lessons before moving on to a new topic. For Chemistry, I'm also finished with C1 but I have a few bits left to do. From next week, I'm suppose to be having a re-teaching and revision week in preparation for my first assessment on 9th October 2015 which is a bit early and it will be on C1 only from what I know. For French, it was a lesson of responding to her feedback in green pen and re-drafting my work, I think I will be doing another CA for Writing but I'm not too sure.

To Do List:
- Maths Homework - Due 28th September (DONE)
- Revise for C1 exam and doing past papers from AQA (POSTPONED)
- Finish of my re-draft for French (MONDAY)

Will be revising for my C1 exam from W/B Monday instead as I'm going to be out.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Update 28/09/15

Today was alright. I had double English Literature, Maths and History. For English Literature, I was writing a PEAR paragraph/essay on How did the Ghost of Christmas Past help Scrooge redemption? for A Christmas Carol and mucked up the PEAR essay, it's rare that I muck up my work but I did. :frown: Not happy with myself. For Maths, it was a decent lesson like usual with the textbook work but today we did a mini test on what we've learnt so far this term. For History, I'm preparing for my first assessment on the Liberal Reforms and will be preparing for my first assessment of the year on Wednesday. I also have a new tutor who is an English teacher who's firm but strict.

To Do List
- Finish of my re-draft for French (TODAY)
- History Revision (TODAY AND TOMORROW)
- Chemistry C1 Revision (POSTPONED)

Was out during the weekend meaning that I couldn't get started on my Chemistry C1 revision. I'll be doing the assessment for Chemistry C1 on 9th October 2015 and I'm already feeling a bit nervous as I suffer from exam pressure. For those who are on the Current Year 10 Thread, you'll know that I've been struggling in Science last year especially in Biology B1, I only managed a Grade C in a Higher paper.
(edited 8 years ago)
[QUOTE=CoffeeAndPolitics;59635473]Update 28/09/15

Today was alright. I had double English Literature, Maths and History. For English Literature, I was writing a PEAR paragraph/essay on How did the Ghost of Christmas Past help Scrooge redemption? for A Christmas Carol and mucked up the PEAR essay, it's rare that I muck up my work but I did. :frown: Not happy with myself. For Maths, it was a decent lesson like usual with the textbook work but today we did a mini test on what we've learnt so far this term. For History, I'm preparing for my first assessment on the Liberal Reforms and will be preparing for my first assessment of the year on Wednesday.

To Do List
- Finish of my re-draft for French (TODAY)
- History Revision (TODAY AND TOMORROW)
- Chemistry C1 Revision (POSTPONED)

Was out during the weekend meaning that I couldn't get started on my Chemistry C1 revision. I'll be doing the assessment for Chemistry C1 on 9th October 2015 and I'm already feeling a bit nervous as I suffer from exam pressure. For those who are on the Current Year 10 Thread, you'll know that I've been struggling in Science last year especially in Biology B1, I only managed a Grade C in a Higher paper.

If you need any help with C1 I can try my best- C1 is probably my best exam so far and I also have a fair number of notes to relearn it if I need to :smile: I might be able to help with French but no guarantees but you can send it to me if you want :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Lemur14
If you need any help with C1 I can try my best- C1 is probably my best exam so far and I also have a fair number of notes to relearn it if I need to :smile: I might be able to help with French but no guarantees but you can send it to me if you want :smile:

French is alright, I just need to re-draft the paragraphs I did that was marked by Ms. I would be grateful for your help in Chemistry C1 :biggrin:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
French is alright, I just need to re-draft the paragraphs I did that was marked by Ms. I would be grateful for your help in Chemistry C1 :biggrin:

If you say which part of the chemistry you want help in, I can either pm you or post it on here. :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Lemur14
If you say which part of the chemistry you want help in, I can either pm you or post it on here. :smile:

Fractional Distillation, Alkens/Alkanes, Alloys, Crude Oil and Polymers. You can PM me if you want. :biggrin:
[QUOTE=CoffeeAndPolitics

;59635997]Fractional Distillation, Alkens/Alkanes, Alloys, Crude Oil and Polymers. You can PM me if you want. :biggrin:

I'll do a bit now so that you can get started and then I'll do the rest when I've hopefully finished my homework :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Lemur14
I'll do a bit now so that you can get started and then I'll do the rest when I've hopefully finished my homework :smile:

That's fine, I'm suppose to be revising for History first as I'll be doing an assessment for that first.
Note: This is my blog for Grow Your Grades from September 2015.

Hello everybody, welcome to my blog on my journey to GCSE success. :biggrin:

I'm currently in Year 10 and I live in the UK. I will be taking my GCSEs in 2017 and will be the first year group to sit the new 9-1 GCSEs in English Language + Literature and Mathematics. I'm feeling a bit nervous about starting Year 10 but at the same time excited.

Current Grades (End of Year 9)
English (Reading) - B1 [Year 10 Target - B2]
English (Writing) - B1 [Year 10 Target - B2]
Mathematics - B2 [Year 10 Target - B1]
Science (overall) - C2 [Year 10 Target - B2]
Computing - C3 [Year 10 Target - B2]
French - B2 [Year 10 Target - B2]
History - C1 [Year 10 Target - B2]

* Will be updated every term.

I'm very proud of my grades at the end of Year 9 and I'll be aiming for Grade A/Bs at the end of Year 10.

As shown above, my strongest subjects are English, Mathematics and French. With English, I personally feel that I still need to make improvements into my writing skills as I'm better at reading than writing. My weaker subjects are mainly Science (triple Science) and Computing. In terms of History, I did get Grade Bs earlier on in the year though not consistently.

My Class
English - Set 1
Maths - Set 3
Science - Set 1
For History,Computing and French I'm not put into sets

Exam Boards
English Language + Literature - AQA
Mathematics - Edexcel Linear
Biology - AQA
Chemistry - AQA
Physics - AQA
Computing - OCR
French - AQA
History - OCR B: Modern World History

End of Year 11 Targets
English (Reading) - A
English (Writing) - A
Mathematics - A
Science (Overall) - A
Computing - A
French - A
History - A

* Will be updated if the targets changes.

Personally, I'm expecting myself to get A/A* at GCSEs with the minimum of Grade B.

Other Useful Stuff
Revision/Study Tips - Credit to @MrMackyTv
- Be persistent.
- Be organised and neat with work so you can easily review it later when you need it.
- If you're struggling, ask the teacher (or friends ) or do some research by yourself on the internet to help you understand. Things like YouTube, BBC Bitesize et cetera...
- Be creative with notes, don't just write them out, hightlight important things to remember and keywords.
- Don't just copy from a textbook, you won't understand. Instead read the textbook then when you're making the notes try to put it into your own words, simplify it so it can be easier to comprehend.
- Get LOTS of sleep (more sleep = happier you and happier you = nailing exams ).
- Also on that note, read your notes/textbook/work before you go to bed because it will be easier to remember.
- Find out your learning style. You could be an audio learner, visual, kinesthetic...
- IMPORTANT: Plan ahead, if your going to do 2 hours of studying tomorrow make sure you do that, if you only manage to do 1 hour don't let that discourage you. You can always make up for it the next day, maybe the next day your planning to do 2 hours but since you missed out on 1 hour that day you add it on to make 3 hours. Just have that mindset and it will get you through it.
- Don't stress, more you do the more likely you are going to freak out mid-test and possibly fail.

Current Year 10 thread

Useful Resources

Spoiler

Only 7 GCSEs i did feckin 14
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by judogainz
Only 7 GCSEs i did feckin 14

Erm I'm doing 9 GCSEs not 7 GCSEs.

Sciences x3
Maths x1
English x2
Computing x1
French x1
History x1
Erm I'm doing 9 GCSEs not 7 GCSEs.

Sciences x3
Maths x1
English x2
Computing x1
French x1
History x1

Still, it will put you at a massive disadvantage when applying to uni, see if you can do things like FM or another subject.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
Still, it will put you at a massive disadvantage when applying to uni, see if you can do things like FM or another subject.

A massive disadvantage? I was only given three options for my GCSEs at school and that was it. I'm in the highest option group and yet only get three options. I don't study RS at school and yet someone I have double lessons for almost everything. I have asked one of the Year 11's who sat their GCSEs and they also did 9 subjects ...
A massive disadvantage? I was only given three options for my GCSEs at school and that was it. I'm in the highest option group and yet only get three options. I don't study RS at school and yet someone I have double lessons for almost everything. I have asked one of the Year 11's who sat their GCSEs and they also did 9 subjects ...

I did 13 GCSEs but everyone else did 11 and lets just say they were the less intelligent ones.

I did English x3
Maths x2
Science X3
German
Sport
RS
IT
Computing
(edited 6 years ago)
[QUOTE=jud
ogainz;59636225]Only 7 GCSEs i did feckin 14

BITCH PLEASE...

I did 16 :tongue:

Btw , i think its fine if he gets 9A*s (brillitant actually).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by champ_mc99
BITCH PLEASE...

I did 16 :tongue:

Btw , i think its fine if he gets 9A*s (brillitant actually).

But im +5 rep ooh.

9 isn't that few, you only need your best 8 on forms in the future so assuming all the grades are about equal then it's fine. It's quality over quantity and also they're academic subjects so they're worth a lot more than a higher number of practical subjects.
Reply 19
What is with the language on my my thread and the unnecessary attachments which doesn't work? If you have something to say then do so else don't post **** on my thread. You've been warned ...