The Student Room Group

Questions regarding my current circumstance and applying to University in the UK.

So, a little back story first, I have always been really bright and intelligent, while writing exams and essays were not my strong suit, understanding in class was pretty top notch, I just could never bring that same level of understanding onto paper. I passed my IB diploma with 26 points, even though my parents kept telling me I was underachieving.I recently found out why that is the case, I have ADHD and was only diagnosed as an adult, and yet I still happened to pass IB (International Baccalaureate) with 26 points, getting the IB Diploma (not certificate). Perhaps if I had my ADHD treated earlier my grades would have been much better.Anyway, I am currently studying sociology in Vienna as German is my second language but I wish to study Psychology and have come to the conclusion that giving myself a handicap in language is working against me. So I decided to apply for Psychology in England.After checking my UCAS Tariff points I found I have 304 Tariff points.Is there any way that I can apply to a Uni that has a higher requirement for points and yet they will take me due to my circumstance or other achievements?For example, after my ADHD diagnosis and having conquered my anxiety disorder (GAD) I now wish to apply for Ted x and give a presentation on my theory and philosophy on mental health, I already have an appointment with my old school to give a presentation there, and send the video of it to Ted x. If I do end up giving such a presentation by how much would it boost the likelihood of being taken in despite my low IB score?Among other little talents, I am trilingual, and have a decent amount of work experience.Sorry for the long wall of text.Thanks :smile:
Original post by Kiki Powa
So, a little back story first, I have always been really bright and intelligent, while writing exams and essays were not my strong suit, understanding in class was pretty top notch, I just could never bring that same level of understanding onto paper. I passed my IB diploma with 26 points, even though my parents kept telling me I was underachieving.I recently found out why that is the case, I have ADHD and was only diagnosed as an adult, and yet I still happened to pass IB (International Baccalaureate) with 26 points, getting the IB Diploma (not certificate). Perhaps if I had my ADHD treated earlier my grades would have been much better.Anyway, I am currently studying sociology in Vienna as German is my second language but I wish to study Psychology and have come to the conclusion that giving myself a handicap in language is working against me. So I decided to apply for Psychology in England.After checking my UCAS Tariff points I found I have 304 Tariff points.Is there any way that I can apply to a Uni that has a higher requirement for points and yet they will take me due to my circumstance or other achievements?For example, after my ADHD diagnosis and having conquered my anxiety disorder (GAD) I now wish to apply for Ted x and give a presentation on my theory and philosophy on mental health, I already have an appointment with my old school to give a presentation there, and send the video of it to Ted x. If I do end up giving such a presentation by how much would it boost the likelihood of being taken in despite my low IB score?Among other little talents, I am trilingual, and have a decent amount of work experience.Sorry for the long wall of text.Thanks :smile:

They'd probably accept your diagnosis as an extenuating circumstance, yes. But whether they give you a lower offer or not is at the admissions tutors' discretion.
What's your achievement been like at the university in Vienna?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Origami Bullets
What's your achievement been like at the university in Vienna?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh terrible, I failed my sociology exams and then my resits, which is why I talked to my old therapist because my anxiety was relapsing, she asked if I got checked for ADHD and I have been diagnosed now for 4 months and have improved a lot!

But, studying in German is giving me an unnecessary handicap along with my ADHD so I decided to try studying in English instead.

Things have changed a lot, for the better, my approach towards studying has become a lot better but words are simply words if there is no evidence to back it up I guess.
Reply 4
Original post by Hydeman
They'd probably accept your diagnosis as an extenuating circumstance, yes. But whether they give you a lower offer or not is at the admissions tutors' discretion.

Thanks, I will look into it, perhaps with a decent Personal Statement I may be able to work something out. :smile:
Thanks, I will look into it, perhaps with a decent Personal Statement I may be able to work something out. :smile:

I suggest that you email the universities are interested in prior to applying to see what they say. No point wasting an application on some university that has a hardline policy about grade requirements.
Reply 6
Original post by Hydeman
I suggest that you email the universities are interested in prior to applying to see what they say. No point wasting an application on some university that has a hardline policy about grade requirements.

Thank you, I will do so, but emailing someone who usually just answers very generic FAQ questions wouldn't be able to help me, right?

another thing you need to consider- how many years have you been studying in Vienna? Any studying at degree level counts towards your total student finance entitlement.
Reply 8
Original post by jelly1000
another thing you need to consider- how many years have you been studying in Vienna? Any studying at degree level counts towards your total student finance entitlement.

Its only been around 6 months.
Its only been around 6 months.

In that case you can still get full funding for a new course, but you'll have lost your automatic entitlement to a repeat year funded.
Thank you, I will do so, but emailing someone who usually just answers very generic FAQ questions wouldn't be able to help me, right?

Some admissions people will do that but you do get good advice every now and then so it's best to try. :smile: Alternatively, phone them up and ask to speak to somebody more senior if that works.
Reply 11
Original post by jelly1000
In that case you can still get full funding for a new course, but you'll have lost your automatic entitlement to a repeat year funded.

Ah thank you. That is perfect. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending