Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Driving watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    heres the situation, i passed my driving test in may, 2nd time so i'm not inexperienced or dodgy on the rds.....my bro had a new car as soon as he passed...ok, so they've told me i'm not getting one so stop dreaming. so i get insured on my bros car.....rite?! well they've prolonged my agony for a month cos my bro wasn't permanently home cos of uni....hes back 2moro however.
    so i've brought the issue up again...
    it's £55 a month adding me as additional driver.....and like my dad just keeps coming up with **** excuses. it is clearly cheaper than others i've spoken to.
    my parents just don't want me to drive.......cos i'm a girl? they don't trust me? i don't know exactly.....

so we've just had an argument, i'm really upset, i was telling him how all of my friends r driving, whats the prob? i named a specific friend cos he knows her, and he said 'she can drive cos shes been driving for a few months' so i was like....well thats cos she was given the chance 2 drive. he replied....y don't u just drive with ur bro next to u with L plates....and i said wot? forever? u can't do that...and he says 'y not?', so i walked out

tell me.....am i over reacting? i've wanted 2 drive 4 so long, and its just so unfair.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonkey)
    heres the situation, i passed my driving test in may, 2nd time so i'm not inexperienced or dodgy on the rds.....my bro had a new car as soon as he passed...ok, so they've told me i'm not getting one so stop dreaming. so i get insured on my bros car.....rite?! well they've prolonged my agony for a month cos my bro wasn't permanently home cos of uni....hes back 2moro however.
    it's £55 a month adding me as additional driver.....and like my dad just keeps coming up with **** excuses. it is clearly cheaper than others i've spoken to.
    my parents just don't want me to drive.......cos i'm a girl? they don't trust me? i don't know exactly.....

so we've just had an argument, i'm really upset, i was telling him how all of my friends r driving, whats the prob? i named a specific friend cos he knows her, and he said 'she can drive cos shes been driving for a few months' so i was like....well thats cos she was given the chance 2 drive. he replied....y don't u just drive with ur bro next to u with L plates....and i said wot? forever? u can't do that...and he says 'y not?', so i walked out

tell me.....am i over reacting? i've wanted 2 drive 4 so long, and its just so unfair.....
    no ur not over reacting!
    try speakin to ur bro about it
    he might help u speak to ur dad!

ReputationRep:

No you're not over-reacting but your parents are probably more protective over you than your brother. Take your folks out for a drive and show them how confident you are...if you drive perfectly then they can't really say anything after that.

ReputationRep:
    ive been asking for a new car for a year now, but i realise my parents have a lot of debts and stuff so i can wait. my brother got a new car as soon as he passed as well! i think theres a rule only the first passed child can have a new car!
    do you want to be sharing a car with your brother or do you want a new one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    No you're not over-reacting but your parents are probably more protective over you than your brother. Take your folks out for a drive and show them how confident you are...if you drive perfectly then they can't really say anything after that.

i have, i drove perfectly, but my mum said....that was gd, but that was just flukey probs....and my dad criticised me on one little thing i didn't even do wrong....which was i felt like going down from 4th gear to 2rd then 2nd, instead of straight from 4th to 2nd....i just did it ONCE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    ive been asking for a new car for a year now, but i realise my parents have a lot of debts and stuff so i can wait. my brother got a new car as soon as he passed as well! i think theres a rule only the first passed child can have a new car!

i'm just so desperate to drive, i don't care....i'll buy my own car if need be, i'll pay for insurance....i'll pay for everything.....its not about the money, they just won't let me drive and insure me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    lol i passed and im the firt passed child but no new car for me! mine is really taking the piss too, i passed on the 2nd of APRIL and my dad STILL hasnt insured me on his car! again with the making excuses. he has to get a diff insurance policy cz his doesnt let him insure under 25s on his car, and his policy runs out at the end of july and i bet hes gna make me wait till then to insure me so he can save like £40 or sumthing stupid by not cancelling his thing early.

have given up feeling frustrated about it lol i jus made him pay for pass plus lessons czi was scared about forgetting how to drive.

ReputationRep:
    i have, i drove perfectly, but my mum said....that was gd, but that was just flukey probs....and my dad criticised me on one little thing i didn't even do wrong....which was i felt like going down from 4th gear to 2rd then 2nd, instead of straight from 4th to 2nd....i just did it ONCE.
    parents are annoying
    calm down and dont speak to them if u can do it!
    i know its childish but ur not gonna get the car by the looks of it from ur dad so why bother sucking up!
    id say be nice to ur bro!

ReputationRep:
    when i pass my test i won't have a car, but am just going to be insured on my mum's lovely new car. am not really bothered about not having ym own car cos i'm off to uni anyway and i won't be able to take a car with me.

just talk to your parents and explain how unreasonable they're being- what was the point of passing your test if you can't drive on your own?

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    My dad point blank refuses to ever let me drive. I passed my test years ago (only 4 minors!) and have never driven since. I had to learn while I was away at uni because my dad would not let me learn at home. It cost a lot of money. I am the oldest and my younger sister has never learnt to drive. I would probably need refresher lessons now.

ReputationRep:
    i'm just so desperate to drive, i don't care....i'll buy my own car if need be, i'll pay for insurance....i'll pay for everything.....its not about the money, they just won't let me drive and insure me.
    oh rite! well what can you do then? i cant believe they're doing this, you have passed and you have a full uk driving license what more do they need?!
    all dads are protective of their daughters, you just have to do that cutesy act with them and maybe he will change his mind.

ReputationRep:
    Would you actually be covered by the insurance as it is at present if you had L plates on and your brother in the car with you? Because I wouldn't have thought you would be. If you aren't mentioned on the insurance then you aren't covered, regardless of if someone who is mentioned is with you or not. That's how I thought it was.

ReputationRep:

i've had my license for more than 6 months now and am still not able to drive on my own!! i know exactly how u feel....and i think a lot has to do with us being girls... :mad: i dont get it...
    well...when they criticise your driving...tell them that's exactly why u need to drive more! practise makes perfect!
    dont worry...when it becomes inconvenient for them to ferry u around or for u to catch the bus they will give u the keys...

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it - my parents really wanted me to drive! Am I the only one? I had my first lesson the day after my 17th birthday, when I passed I got a new car a week later...but now my mum and dad get me to drive them to and pick them up from parties haha!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=lou p lou]
    just talk to your parents and explain how unreasonable they're being- what was the point of passing your test if you can't drive on your own?
    [QUOTE]

they said its just so that "u've got it out of the way"........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    I don't get it - my parents really wanted me to drive! Am I the only one? I had my first lesson the day after my 17th birthday, when I passed I got a new car a week later...but now my mum and dad get me to drive them to and pick them up from parties haha!
    my mum and dad really want me to pass, it'll save them giving me lifts, let them drink when they go out etc, i just won't have a car of my own, but that's not a problem- it's not worth buying a car this close to me going to uni and my dad doesn't need his car, so my mum will use that.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    oh rite! well what can you do then? i cant believe they're doing this, you have passed and you have a full uk driving license what more do they need?!
    all dads are protective of their daughters, you just have to do that cutesy act with them and maybe he will change his mind.

lol and if he doesn't?! its not just my dad, my mum is way too over protective aswell.....they're just in denial. they don't wanna let me go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alocin)
    Would you actually be covered by the insurance as it is at present if you had L plates on and your brother in the car with you? Because I wouldn't have thought you would be. If you aren't mentioned on the insurance then you aren't covered, regardless of if someone who is mentioned is with you or not. That's how I thought it was.

yeah, i'm not covered under any sort of insurance, so its illegal 4 me to drive even with L plates and bro next to me........AND once u've passed, i think ur meant to use P plates, lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    i've had my license for more than 6 months now and am still not able to drive on my own!! i know exactly how u feel....and i think a lot has to do with us being girls... :mad: i dont get it...
    well...when they criticise your driving...tell them that's exactly why u need to drive more! practise makes perfect!
    dont worry...when it becomes inconvenient for them to ferry u around or for u to catch the bus they will give u the keys...

the thing is.....i've always been driven around by my dad, yes i'm spoilt...but it hasn't been any other way....but yeah i do take the bus too, which they think is perfectly convenient! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i'm not covered under any sort of insurance, so its illegal 4 me to drive even with L plates and bro next to me........AND once u've passed, i think ur meant to use P plates, lol
    you don't need any plates, just some people like to use P plates to show they're still inexperienced.

lou xxx

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.