Turn on thread page Beta

Driving watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who_me)
    I don't get it - my parents really wanted me to drive! Am I the only one? I had my first lesson the day after my 17th birthday, when I passed I got a new car a week later...but now my mum and dad get me to drive them to and pick them up from parties haha!

yeah well its alrite 4 some, lol....i'm just so jealous....i mean my bro got new car straight away, and had no P plates or anything, and my parents didn't even sit next 2 him whilst he was getting used to car, he was free....then they allowed him to drive all the way to nottingham...and they refuse 2 let me drive to warwick. thats fair i tell u........all cos i'm a girl?! wahhhhhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    you don't need any plates, just some people like to use P plates to show they're still inexperienced.

lou xxx

i know i don't need any plates, but my bro won't let me drive more than 10 metres away from my house and without using plates and without him next 2 me.....and NO roundabouts......dear lord

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure its illegal to drive with L plates once you've passed your test. Also you wont be insured. How about a compromise get some magnetic P plates and tell the parents that you will use the P plates and drive accompanied for a month if they insure you on the car. Then if you havent had any incidents you expect to be allowed to drive alone. Tell them you will continue to use the P plates. Its better than not being able to drive at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viviki)
    I'm sure its illegal to drive with L plates once you've passed your test. Also you wont be insured. How about a compromise get some magnetic P plates and tell the parents that you will use the P plates and drive accompanied for a month if they insure you on the car. Then if you havent had any incidents you expect to be allowed to drive alone. Tell them you will continue to use the P plates. Its better than not being able to drive at all.

well the point was they would insure me for a month from 2moro cos i'm going on holiday next month, so that would save £55. P plates.....oh nooo....none of my friends used them, i'm not having P plates, lol.....i have pride! i was thinking of driving to school for my exams etc? they can't accompany me....its like being followed and watched.....my every move, then the criticisms perhaps!! i'd rather not drive....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonkey)
    well the point was they would insure me for a month from 2moro cos i'm going on holiday next month, so that would save £55. P plates.....oh nooo....none of my friends used them, i'm not having P plates, lol.....i have pride! i was thinking of driving to school for my exams etc? they can't accompany me....its like being followed and watched.....my every move, then the criticisms perhaps!! i'd rather not drive....
    well fair enough if you'd rather not drive at all. Tons of my friends had P plates when they passed for the first few weeks and noone took the piss they were all just jealous that they were actually driving. As for being accompanied if its only for a small period it'll get your parents used to trusting your driving and its a damn site better than not driving and not being able to afford a car for another 5 years.
    A compromise would definitely be better than nothing.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 10, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.