The Student Room Group

Which requires more revision- AS of GCSE

For which exams did you do the most revision in the months/weeks before the exams; GCSEs or AS?

I'm curious as although AS is obviously more work throughout the year you have to bear in mind that GCSE is 10+ subjects whereas AS is 4

Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Joiner
For which exams did you do the most revision in the months/weeks before the exams; GCSEs or AS?

I'm curious as although AS is obviously more work throughout the year you have to bear in mind that GCSE is 10+ subjects whereas AS is 4

Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did literally no revision before any of my GCSEs and did well. I did quite a bit of revision before my A-Levels and did well.

I guess it depends on you. If you're a relatively slow learner, it it takes you a while to take things in, then A Levels will probably require more revision.

In A Level lectures, you don't necessarily practise the things that will come up in an exam, you tend to just go over them and then they leave you to revise later. In secondary schools, you're doing one things for days to get it ingrained.

Edit: It also depends on the course. Psychology required quite a bit of revision, but - for me, at least - Sociology required a quick look-over the night before.
Original post by Don Joiner

Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Within the months before the exams, I did more GCSE revision. Obviously I did more AS revision throughout the year. Cramming works well for GCSEs, not so well for AS even though I had 22 GCSE exams and only 8 AS exams.
I think it is subjective. Most people will have revised way more for their ASs than their GCSEs. It also depends on what limit you are trying to achieve? To get all Cs at GCSEs it probably takes less revision than to get all Cs at AS. But maybe GCSEs require more revision if you want to get 100% ums in every subject than 100 ums in every subject for AS? Just a thought lol.
I definitely found my GCSEs more difficult to revise for because there were lots of subjects I wasn't comfortable with.
You could literally read a CGP revision book the night before a GCSE exam and get an A/A* easy :colone:
I'm only like 3 weeks into Alevel, and am revising practically every night lol.
Original post by Plagioclase
I definitely found my GCSEs more difficult to revise for because there were lots of subjects I wasn't comfortable with.

yeah, i found it impossible to learn maths and spanish at GCSE so spent hours and hours revising them :s-smilie:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest