Can you give me some advice please?

Watch this thread
Emelisa
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey, I have been given my predicted grades of BBB (geog, chem and maths) but am hoping to push these up to at least ABB, but I now stuck and I don't know what subject to study, initially I really wanted to study chemistry..but after only getting a C at AS level I decided its clearly not for me. But I'm now torn between studying Pharmacy or Earth science/geology. Both are very different but interest me because both have aspects of chemistry within them, I lean more towards the idea of geology due to my love for geography, but now I just fear I don't have anything to write on my personal statement related to it? And which degree will give me the best job prospects? HELP?
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Emelisa)
Hey, I have been given my predicted grades of BBB (geog, chem and maths) but am hoping to push these up to at least ABB, but I now stuck and I don't know what subject to study, initially I really wanted to study chemistry..but after only getting a C at AS level I decided its clearly not for me. But I'm now torn between studying Pharmacy or Earth science/geology. Both are very different but interest me because both have aspects of chemistry within them, I lean more towards the idea of geology due to my love for geography, but now I just fear I don't have anything to write on my personal statement related to it? And which degree will give me the best job prospects? HELP?
Hi Emelisa,

I don't know much about pharmacy degrees/careers as pharmacy is something I've never looked into, but I know about geology as I did both geography and geology at A Level, and will likely pursue a degree in geology.

If you enjoy both geography and chemistry, geology would be a good choice as it combines both of these subjects, as well as biology, physics and some maths. A geology degree also opens up a wide range of potential careers as there are many different sub-fields and areas within it, including mineralogy, volcanology, seismology, geophysics, mining, oil and gas exploration, geochemistry, paleontology, hydrogeology, geotechnical engineering and more.

I hope this helps
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
You've got almost 4 months left until the UCAS deadline so that is plenty of time to do some intensive reading! If you want some good recommendations feel free to ask but reading around the subject is not only an excellent thing to put on your personal statement but more importantly, it's a very good way of working out if a subject's really for you or not.
Emelisa
Rep:
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
Hi Emelisa,

I don't know much about pharmacy degrees/careers as pharmacy is something I've never looked into, but I know about geology as I did both geography and geology at A Level, and will likely pursue a degree in geology.

If you enjoy both geography and chemistry, geology would be a good choice as it combines both of these subjects, as well as biology, physics and some maths. A geology degree also opens up a wide range of potential careers as there are many different sub-fields and areas within it, including mineralogy, volcanology, seismology, geophysics, mining, oil and gas exploration, geochemistry, paleontology, hydrogeology, geotechnical engineering and more.

I hope this helps
Hey, yeah that is really helpful actually! so I think i will definitely look more into the geology/earth science area as there is just better prospects from it and the subject is so much broader. In A2 geog we are studying plate tectonics and I am finding this the most interesting part so maybe it is for me Thank you for your help!
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hey, yeah that is really helpful actually! so I think i will definitely look more into the geology/earth science area as there is just better prospects from it and the subject is so much broader. In A2 geog we are studying plate tectonics and I am finding this the most interesting part so maybe it is for me Thank you for your help!
You're welcome
Emelisa
Rep:
(Original post by Plagioclase)
You've got almost 4 months left until the UCAS deadline so that is plenty of time to do some intensive reading! If you want some good recommendations feel free to ask but reading around the subject is not only an excellent thing to put on your personal statement but more importantly, it's a very good way of working out if a subject's really for you or not.
Yeah, my only problem is my school wants a finished personal statement by the end of October so I feel that time is slim. I started reading a book called 'Oxygen the molecule that made the world' By Nick Lane, when I was planning on studying chemistry but found this went into detail quite a bit about the formation of the world and the ages of the different rock types, would you recommend for me to carry on this read or do you think there are better books that are more suited to geology/earth science? Thank you
Plagioclase
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Yeah, my only problem is my school wants a finished personal statement by the end of October so I feel that time is slim. I started reading a book called 'Oxygen the molecule that made the world' By Nick Lane, when I was planning on studying chemistry but found this went into detail quite a bit about the formation of the world and the ages of the different rock types, would you recommend for me to carry on this read or do you think there are better books that are more suited to geology/earth science? Thank you
I haven't read that particular book but do continue reading it, it's completely relevant to Earth Sciences. Two books that I found particularly influential when I was applying were The Goldilocks Planet (which mainly follows the theme of life as a planetary process) and if you're interested in climate, The Two-Mile Time Machine, they're both very accessible. If you're particularly interested in the biology side of things, I thought Secret Chambers (Brasier) was quite good; we were recommended Life on a Young Planet: The First Three Billion Years of Evolution on Earth but I personally found that quite difficult because I don't come from a biological background but by all means give it a go. We were also recommended Earth Story: The Shaping of Our World (which you can get for a couple of pounds off amazon and to be honest you can get all of these books for very low prices second hand from amazon or abebooks) which is a really good summary of the Earth Sciences - it's not quite popular science because it sort of reads a little bit like a textbook but it's very clearly presented, easy to understand and there are some absolutely amazing (like seriously good) illustrations there so I definitely recommend that. There's another good textbook-but-not-quite-a-textbook book called How to Build a Habitable Planet which is pretty much the most comprehensive summary you're going to get for the Earth Sciences but it is very technical and a seriously challenging read, so I'd suggest you go with Earth Story, at least until you send off your application.

I can't really stress enough how useful it is to read as much as possible before you submit your application. Do try to stick to your school's deadline but ultimately it's more important that you're sure you're making the right decision. Maybe ask if you can get an extension if you find you get under time pressure.
Emelisa
Rep:
I haven't read that particular book but do continue reading it, it's completely relevant to Earth Sciences. Two books that I found particularly influential when I was applying were The Goldilocks Planet (which mainly follows the theme of life as a planetary process) and if you're interested in climate, The Two-Mile Time Machine, they're both very accessible. If you're particularly interested in the biology side of things, I thought Secret Chambers (Brasier) was quite good; we were recommended Life on a Young Planet: The First Three Billion Years of Evolution on Earth but I personally found that quite difficult because I don't come from a biological background but by all means give it a go. We were also recommended Earth Story: The Shaping of Our World (which you can get for a couple of pounds off amazon and to be honest you can get all of these books for very low prices second hand from amazon or abebooks) which is a really good summary of the Earth Sciences - it's not quite popular science because it sort of reads a little bit like a textbook but it's very clearly presented, easy to understand and there are some absolutely amazing (like seriously good) illustrations there so I definitely recommend that. There's another good textbook-but-not-quite-a-textbook book called How to Build a Habitable Planet which is pretty much the most comprehensive summary you're going to get for the Earth Sciences but it is very technical and a seriously challenging read, so I'd suggest you go with Earth Story, at least until you send off your application.

I can't really stress enough how useful it is to read as much as possible before you submit your application. Do try to stick to your school's deadline but ultimately it's more important that you're sure you're making the right decision. Maybe ask if you can get an extension if you find you get under time pressure.
Thank you, This is so helpful! I will definitely look into getting a few of these books and I hope I will find them interesting, and for them to increase my passion for the subject! Yeah I will see about pushing the deadline, as you are right it would not be good for me to realise later down the line that the subject isn't for me. As well as reading around the subject, do you think there is anything else that I can put in a personal statement for this subject area that will really stand out? - I went along to an lecture held at Bristol university that talked about the elements of the earth, but this was held by the chemistry department as it was something I did with chemistry in mind, but I am now thinking this is a bit vague for applying for geology?
Plagioclase
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Thank you, This is so helpful! I will definitely look into getting a few of these books and I hope I will find them interesting, and for them to increase my passion for the subject! Yeah I will see about pushing the deadline, as you are right it would not be good for me to realise later down the line that the subject isn't for me. As well as reading around the subject, do you think there is anything else that I can put in a personal statement for this subject area that will really stand out? - I went along to an lecture held at Bristol university that talked about the elements of the earth, but this was held by the chemistry department as it was something I did with chemistry in mind, but I am now thinking this is a bit vague for applying for geology?
The personal statement is a chance for you to explain what has inspired you to take your subject at university and why you feel you're qualified to do so. If you think that lecture was a valuable experience and you've got something useful to say about it then yes, by all means include it.
Emelisa
Rep:
The personal statement is a chance for you to explain what has inspired you to take your subject at university and why you feel you're qualified to do so. If you think that lecture was a valuable experience and you've got something useful to say about it then yes, by all means include it.
Okay, thanks for your help! Image
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (275)
42.18%
The paper was reasonable (269)
41.26%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.2%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
7.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed