The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Realistically, how hard is it to get into russell group universities?

I've just started my a-levels and really want to study psychology at a russell group university.
At the moment I am studying chemistry, biology, psychology and philosophy
If I were to get the grades needed (AAA*) in my three a levels is that enough to secure me a place?
What else would I need to do to make me stand out against other candidates?
Also, would a russell group university look upon me more favourably if I were doing three facilitating subjects instead of only two. For example, if I were to do maths, chemistry, biology and psychology
They're all great subjects, and if you were to get those grades you'd be accepted at most if not all Russell group universities (Oxbridge would depend on how you do in interviews and so on..)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by p.formanko
They're all great subjects, and if you were to get those grades you'd be accepted at most if not all Russell group universities (Oxbridge would depend on how you do in interviews and so on..)

Ok thank you :smile:
Original post by arabella37
I've just started my a-levels and really want to study psychology at a russell group university.
At the moment I am studying chemistry, biology, psychology and philosophy
If I were to get the grades needed (AAA*) in my three a levels is that enough to secure me a place?
What else would I need to do to make me stand out against other candidates?
Also, would a russell group university look upon me more favourably if I were doing three facilitating subjects instead of only two. For example, if I were to do maths, chemistry, biology and psychology

If you get those grades then yes that's all you need
EPQ and proof of wider reading (I recommend UC Berkley's lectures on YouTube for psych) to make you stand out
As long as you have at least 2 science/math a-levels and the other 1 or 2 aren't too soft you'll be fine

I just graduated from UCL in psych if you have any questions
Reply 4
Original post by Noodlzzz
If you get those grades then yes that's all you need
EPQ and proof of wider reading (I recommend UC Berkley's lectures on YouTube for psych) to make you stand out
As long as you have at least 2 science/math a-levels and the other 1 or 2 aren't too soft you'll be fine

I just graduated from UCL in psych if you have any questions

Ok thanks, what a levels did you do and what grades did you get if you don't mind me asking?
Also are either psychology and philosophy considered 'too soft'
Doing all facilitating subjects masterrace:wink: but seriously you should just ask the uni.
Ok thanks, what a levels did you do and what grades did you get if you don't mind me asking?
Also are either psychology and philosophy considered 'too soft'

Psychology, Sociology and philosophy and ethics A*A*A* + EPQ A*
Philosophy is well respected, psychology normally less so but as it's the subject you're taking on to undergrad it's a good choice
Reply 7
Not very.
Reply 8
Original post by richpanda
Doing all facilitating subjects masterrace:wink: but seriously you should just ask the uni.

Well it says on UCL's website that they recommend taking at least 1 subject, preferably two from biology, chemistry, maths, physics and psychology

However, I know it's really competitive what I really want to know is would they be more likely to accept a student who's doing loads of hard academic subjects like bio, chem, physics and maths over me

I was going to contact them but I doubt they'd be willing to answer that question for me :s-smilie:
Reply 9
Original post by Noodlzzz
Psychology, Sociology and philosophy and ethics A*A*A* + EPQ A*
Philosophy is well respected, psychology normally less so but as it's the subject you're taking on to undergrad it's a good choice

Ok thank you!! :biggrin:
Well it says on UCL's website that they recommend taking at least 1 subject, preferably two from biology, chemistry, maths, physics and psychology

However, I know it's really competitive what I really want to know is would they be more likely to accept a student who's doing loads of hard academic subjects like bio, chem, physics and maths over me

I was going to contact them but I doubt they'd be willing to answer that question for me :s-smilie:

if they say preferably 2, then that's fine. Just do loads of extra curricular stuff.
Reply 11
Original post by richpanda
if they say preferably 2, then that's fine. Just do loads of extra curricular stuff.

thanks yeah I think I'm going to try and start doing loads of work experience stuff
No, A*AA not enough to get into a Russell Group uni tbh

Make it A*A*AA and you might have a chance, but even then you will struggle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending