The Student Room Group

Civil Service Investigation/ Intelligence Officer Role

Scroll to see replies

Is there an allowance with this role
What roles are there in paraliment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bimboooo
Is there an allowance with this role

Yes all new starters within Fraud Investigation Service are put on the base allowance which works out at about an extra £3000 on the advertised wage. I had no idea about this when I first started in the job so it was a very nice surprise when I got my first payslip :smile:
Original post by New27
Hi everyone, do not lose hope! Especially those on the Reserve List! I have been posted, good luck to everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
hi, were you waiting to be posted at Birmingham? I think I read that on a previous post. I've been posted in brum too. Have your checks been completed?
That's great news. I'm starting ending of August. Are you based in London and how does training work ?
Original post by carchie86
Yes all new starters within Fraud Investigation Service are put on the base allowance which works out at about an extra £3000 on the advertised wage. I had no idea about this when I first started in the job so it was a very nice surprise when I got my first payslip :smile:

That's great news. I'm starting ending of August. Are you based in London and how does training work
Original post by Bimboooo
That's great news. I'm starting ending of August. Are you based in London and how does training work

I'm based in Newcastle but I'm pretty sure the training is the same across the country. You will be or may have already been put forward for a Level 1 training course and it is just a case of waiting to be allocated to a course. Between now and your course you will probably do some general HMRC/Civil Service online training. However once you get a course date you will receive a training workbook to study which usually arrives about three weeks before your course start date. On the first morning of your course you will have a pass or fail exam and then assuming you pass you will have 6 weeks of training to enjoy/endure. The courses vary by location, so you may find you are away from your home office for anything from 1 to 5 out of the six weeks, but the fifth week is always back at your home office.
Hi

I was told in april that i had a conditional offer (subject to backchecks) and it is now july and i still have not completed all my checks. Is this normal for everyone else? It just feels like it is taking forever. I have completed the background check and filled in my security clearance forms. Does anyone know how long this takes to clear? Is there any other checks after this? I am so excited to start
Original post by carchie86
I'm based in Newcastle but I'm pretty sure the training is the same across the country. You will be or may have already been put forward for a Level 1 training course and it is just a case of waiting to be allocated to a course. Between now and your course you will probably do some general HMRC/Civil Service online training. However once you get a course date you will receive a training workbook to study which usually arrives about three weeks before your course start date. On the first morning of your course you will have a pass or fail exam and then assuming you pass you will have 6 weeks of training to enjoy/endure. The courses vary by location, so you may find you are away from your home office for anything from 1 to 5 out of the six weeks, but the fifth week is always back at your home office.

Wow that sounds hectic !! And if you don't pass, what will happen then ? Have you had your exam yet ?
I can see that most contributors on this thread are super excited about starting with the CS, and why shouldn't you be? It's a brand new career with so much to look forward to. But, and it's a big but, how many of you have actually researched what you're getting yourselves into? Job hunting is a 2 way process, and you should be looking to see how well the organisation fits with your life goals and aspirations. They'll be looking very closely at you and your skill set and how you meet the required competencies. make sure you conduct the same analysis on your potential employer. After all, it'll be a big part of your life and will dictate your future.

Short of asking a current staff member at whichever department you're applying for, it's almost impossible to get a feel for the ethos of an organisation and working culture until you're actually in place. This may prove to be a disaster if your character doesn't fit with the employer.

Fortunately, Govt departments have the foresight to conduct annual staff surveys to enable you to gauge how staff perceive various aspects of their job and workplace. It'll give you a valuable insight into an organisation and should allow you to make an informed opinion on what to expect as a Civil Servant. Here's the results of the last survey in 2015. The results are in a number of formats, but you can work out staff attitudes for all CS organisations, and other attributes.

If I was armed with this data, there would be a few pointed questions I'd ask at interview. I'd also use it to challenge supervisors in the workplace. You need to work effectively for the organisation, but you also need to be know that you'll be fully supported, particularly at the start of your career.

Good luck to all of you.
Reply 1070
Mearyyy I am in the same position as you..... prov offer end of April..... no update other than a pretty generic response saying they are still carrying out checks...... frustrating to say the least.
Original post by FatLad
Mearyyy I am in the same position as you..... prov offer end of April..... no update other than a pretty generic response saying they are still carrying out checks...... frustrating to say the least.

Awh i am not alone!!! Have you completed the form for CTC checks? I heard that takes 3-6 months
Hi everyone,

I have just been offered Tax Professional / Operational Delivery Caseworker at Higher Officer in Greater London. I haven been offered this after declining my tsp offer,and the job advert on the civil service jobs website does not provide any detail of the job description and daily tasks.
I wonder if someone could help to explain what this job role is please? Or if this has been discussed in the previous page could you kindly advise the rough page number please?

Thanks
Reply 1073
I received an e-mail too with a provisional offer as a Tax Professional Caseworker in London, I filled out out all the forms and provided references but after reading a lot of these posts I guess I should assume it is a waiting game now.
If anyone has an insight to this recruitment process, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Reply 1074
Anyone who was successful still following this thread?

I just got moved from Reserve Status to provisional offer and was wondering if anyone could provide some info on what's the role like and day to day activities?

Currently I'm a DWP EO in IT and I'm thinking whether this is more interesting or not.
Hi

I am applying for a role as an operational support but i am having difficulty figuring out examples for seeing the big picture. Do you have any possible advice to this competency or an example that will make it clearer for me??
Hi! I've applied for the investigator role! But I've been looking at this thread... How many people do they hire for one role? Thanks :smile:
Hey I’m interested in the investigator role as well but was wondering how long it took from application to getting a job?
Anybody else waiting to hear back, from the current recruitment for this role?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by amy2244
Anybody else waiting to hear back, from the current recruitment for this role?

Yes! My application is still "being reviewed", so I just assumed I'm not getting invited to an interview as it said that interviews will take place within 5 weeks of the closing date. Is yours the same?
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending