The Student Room Group

AS resits/Getting into uni

Hello,
I am currently studying biology, chemistry and maths at A2 and got A (Biology), B (Maths) and C (Chemistry) at AS. I want to study Finance/Economics and Finance at uni which usually requires AAA-AAB. My AS grades were lower than expected due to illness, so I am pretty sure I am going to resit a maths and both chemistry papers to pull my grades up and I think I should be able to achieve A's in both.
My question is will uni's reject me if I have resat AS modules? Also will I even stand a chance of getting offers with AS grades that are lower than the entry requirements?

(I am looking at Durham, Nottingham, Warwick, Edinburgh and Cardiff (also if anyone knows any good unis for this course please let me know! :smile: )

Thanks x
Original post by hwidlake
Hello,
I am currently studying biology, chemistry and maths at A2 and got A (Biology), B (Maths) and C (Chemistry) at AS. I want to study Finance/Economics and Finance at uni which usually requires AAA-AAB. My AS grades were lower than expected due to illness, so I am pretty sure I am going to resit a maths and both chemistry papers to pull my grades up and I think I should be able to achieve A's in both.
My question is will uni's reject me if I have resat AS modules? Also will I even stand a chance of getting offers with AS grades that are lower than the entry requirements?

(I am looking at Durham, Nottingham, Warwick, Edinburgh and Cardiff (also if anyone knows any good unis for this course please let me know! :smile: )

Thanks x

Hey,

I don't know how much help I can be, but I resat my AS levels entirely after I didn't achieve well (so I effectively did two years of AS o-o). Universities don't discredit you if you had/have to resit exams, so long as you do better than the last time.
On a more dismal note, as the course you're applying for wants AAA-AAB and you recieved ABC, they may not give you an offer based on how competitive the course is and what else you have to offer that university (like any extra curricular, volunteering, really relevant work experience). I hope they do give you an offer as you have a valid reason for your results and you're rectifying them.

Hope this helps you a little bit at least! ^^
Reply 2
Original post by NuttyHistorian
Hey,

I don't know how much help I can be, but I resat my AS levels entirely after I didn't achieve well (so I effectively did two years of AS o-o). Universities don't discredit you if you had/have to resit exams, so long as you do better than the last time.
On a more dismal note, as the course you're applying for wants AAA-AAB and you recieved ABC, they may not give you an offer based on how competitive the course is and what else you have to offer that university (like any extra curricular, volunteering, really relevant work experience). I hope they do give you an offer as you have a valid reason for your results and you're rectifying them.

Hope this helps you a little bit at least! ^^

Hi,
Thanks for your reply!
Subsequently I have decided to resit a maths and chemistry module from AS along with my A2 exams to hopefully pull my grades up (fingers crossed!). I'm then taking a gap year as I was struggling to make my mind up on what I actually want to do at uni and where I want to go! I would rather spend a year figuring out my plans etc. than settling and not being entirely happy!
But yeah, thanks a lot for your help:smile:
Original post by hwidlake
Hi,
Thanks for your reply!
Subsequently I have decided to resit a maths and chemistry module from AS along with my A2 exams to hopefully pull my grades up (fingers crossed!). I'm then taking a gap year as I was struggling to make my mind up on what I actually want to do at uni and where I want to go! I would rather spend a year figuring out my plans etc. than settling and not being entirely happy!
But yeah, thanks a lot for your help:smile:

I don't know about your subject but traditionally Durham look at UMS marks and would normally reject you. You could look at Lancaster or Leeds instead. Another option well worth looking into is whether you would be able to have a contextual offer from Bristol or Exeter. Both universities make a lower offer if you school is in the bottom 40% for A level results and there is a list of schools where this offer is made on Bristol's site.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/study/undergraduate/documents/contextual-offer-schools-2016.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending