The Student Room Group

Hull York Medical School (HYMS) 2016 entry

Poll

What did you get in situational judgement?

Anyone applying to HYMS this year? What are your stats?

9A* 1A
UKCAT 2830 (707.5 average) band 1
AAAB at AS with the B in Chemistry
Predicted A*A*A

The ducks on the York campus are cute :colondollar:

What makes you consider HYMS?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Fibsy

9A* 1A
Predicted A*A*A

Wow well done for that amazing UKCAT score! What resources did you use/find best? How long ago did you start preparing for it?
Reply 2
Original post by notyous
well done on your UKCAT, so amazing!

I got 10A*s and 3As, UKCAT was 2690 (672 avg) band 2, AAAA at AS and I'm predicted 3A*s :smile:

do you know if it matters what subjects your top 8 GCSEs were in? and what was the UKCAT cut off last year?

Thank you :smile:
From what I understand it's just your 8 best GCSEs, but you need a B or above in maths and English.
Since UKCAT forms 50% and GCSEs 40%, I don't imagine they have a cut off since a good UKCAT must be able to make up for a lower GCSEs and vice versa. I'm not sure but that's how I imagine it must work!
Reply 3
Original post by TAgirl
Wow well done for that amazing UKCAT score! What resources did you use/find best? How long ago did you start preparing for it?

Thank you :colondollar: I was scoring better on the mocks but I panicked in VR simply because it was the first section :frown: Not that I'm unhappy though!

I started preparing lightly a month before it by using that 600Q book. It was okay for getting me used to the different types of questions, but in my opinion it is best to use mainly internet resources since the UKCAT exam is on a computer. Using a book wasn't all that great for me. Any internet questions you can find, really.

For SJT I found it useful to go through every question afterwards when practising and making notes of patterns that indicate core values.
Original post by Fibsy

9A* 1A
Predicted A*A*A

I am think im going to apply here, absoulutely love university of york. Do you think i have a decent chance of getting an interview, i got 5A* 3A 1B and 720 band 1. AAAB at as.
Reply 5
Original post by Fibsy
Thank you :colondollar: I was scoring better on the mocks but I panicked in VR simply because it was the first section :frown: Not that I'm unhappy though!

I started preparing lightly a month before it by using that 600Q book. It was okay for getting me used to the different types of questions, but in my opinion it is best to use mainly internet resources since the UKCAT exam is on a computer. Using a book wasn't all that great for me. Any internet questions you can find, really.

For SJT I found it useful to go through every question afterwards when practising and making notes of patterns that indicate core values.

Do you have any useful websites I could use for when I take my UKCAT next year? Any other tips/advice since you did well ... AMAZING.
Reply 6
Original post by hopefulmedic1998
I am think im going to apply here, absoulutely love university of york. Do you think i have a decent chance of getting an interview, i got 5A* 3A 1B and 720 band 1. AAAB at as.

I think you have a good chance! They only get around 1000 applications a year and they interview 560, which sounds very promising!:wink:
I'm in love with all the water and birds :colondollar:
Reply 7
Original post by TAgirl
Do you have any useful websites I could use for when I take my UKCAT next year? Any other tips/advice since you did well ... AMAZING.

Medify is good and only costs something like £30 for a couple of weeks use. However I found that the questions took aaages to load, but that might have just been my poor rural internet ahahha
Original post by Fibsy
I think you have a good chance! They only get around 1000 applications a year and they interview 560, which sounds very promising!:wink:
I'm in love with all the water and birds :colondollar:

thanks and same i love everything about HYMS:biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Fibsy
Thank you :smile:
From what I understand it's just your 8 best GCSEs, but you need a B or above in maths and English.
Since UKCAT forms 50% and GCSEs 40%, I don't imagine they have a cut off since a good UKCAT must be able to make up for a lower GCSEs and vice versa. I'm not sure but that's how I imagine it must work!

ah ok thank you!! seriously can't decide where to apply, wish I had more than 4 choices!!! :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Does anyone think I stand a chance of getting an interview to HYMS. My stats are:
GCSE: 3 A* 8A
AS: AAAB (B in biology)
UKCAT: 2830 (707.5 average) Band 1
I have 630 UKCAT and a A*A*A*AAABBC do you think it's worthy of applying to hyms

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hey,

I am considering applying to HYMS. Here are my stats:
GCSE: 6A*s, 5As
AS: AAAAA
Predicted A2: 4A*s
UKCAT: 2920 (730 avg.) SJT: Band 2

Good luck to all applying! :smile:
I'm applying here! Love the look of Hull and York, they also do an intercalated sport and exercise medicine degree which is one of the reasons I'm drawn to HYMS.

My Stats;
GCSEs: 8A*s and 5As
AS: AAAB (B in Chemistry..)
A2 Predictions: A*AA
UKCAT: 740 Average and a Band 1 in the SJT

Good luck with your applications :biggrin:
Anyone know what ukcat score is generally needed for York hull. Appreciate its combined with 9 best GCSE but say you have 9A *. What ukcat score is needed?

Also interview is different including a group interview. anyone know what that would entail? Sounds awful lots of people trying to get noticed.....
Reply 15
Original post by searchingsazza
Anyone know what ukcat score is generally needed for York hull. Appreciate its combined with 9 best GCSE but say you have 9A *. What ukcat score is needed?

Also interview is different including a group interview. anyone know what that would entail? Sounds awful lots of people trying to get noticed.....

No idea about what UKCAT is needed :/ all I know is my friend got an interview with 7A* 2A and a ukcat of about 630-640
Ah thanks for that info. Was that in 2015? Did your friend say anything about the group interview - only Uni uses this format which is why it is a bit of a risk.....
Hi everyone

I want to apply here but have a UKCAT 722.5 band 3 :-(

It's the band 3 that worries me.

Any comments?
Reply 18
Original post by APPLICANT2016
Hi everyone

I want to apply here but have a UKCAT 722.5 band 3 :-(

It's the band 3 that worries me.

Any comments?

It shouldn't stop you getting an interview but post-interview SJT makes up 20% of the score

Posted from TSR Mobile
Evening guys :smile:
I'm in my second year at HYMS, if you have any questions about applying or the course (or anything at all!) i'll do my best to help!

Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest