Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know this is a long shot but does anyone have any idea of a case study I can use for an Ledc avalanche for my geography hazards unit 5 edexcel. Any hard case studies generally may proove usefull. Any help is welcome :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Im doing the exam also I have a book which has some Avalanche case studies in LEDCs
    1) Turkey, February 1 1992, 261 ppl killed
    2) Afghanistan, March 27 1997, 100 ppl killed
    3) Nepal, November 11th 1995, 95 ppl killed
    4) India, January 17, 1995, 250 ppl killed

Hope thats ok
    Natalie

ReputationRep:
    is anyone doing the edexcel hazard essay paper? - wil the question be limited to spatial variations in the impact of hazards? if so- has anyone compared the impacts of different types of hazards?..and how many hazard types do you have to know? and how much detail can you include in the essay?

i am totally unprepared for this paper and would appreciate anything on it.

thanx

:P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymiss)
    is anyone doing the edexcel hazard essay paper? - wil the question be limited to spatial variations in the impact of hazards? if so- has anyone compared the impacts of different types of hazards?..and how many hazard types do you have to know? and how much detail can you include in the essay?

i am totally unprepared for this paper and would appreciate anything on it.

thanx

:P
    It is just limited to the impacts and variation. I suppose you could be asked to compare diferent hazards and there death toll and damage. I asked my teacher and she said we are likely to get asked more to do with where the hazards happen and how that effect the severity of the hazards. For example comparing Kobe and Bam and how the governents effected the impacts.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the exam is asking you too look at what are the results of 1type of hazards in different countries, comparing MEDC's and LEDC's.
    Natural hazards affect everyone in different countries. For example when Bangladesh is flooded 20,000 ppl die yet when when the Mississippi flooded y did less than 100 ppl die.

u need to look at the impact on the economy, environment society
    Reconstruction, some countries never recover from a natural hazard, y?
    Y do more ppl die in LEDCs as a result of hazards than in MEDCs

You need to do all types of natural hazards;
    Floods, Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Storm, Hurricanes, Avalanche, Tornado, Tsumani and Landslides

that is what i think they are asking for (not totally sure tho)
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by LadyLucia2004)
    I think that the exam is asking you too look at what are the results of 1type of hazards in different countries, comparing MEDC's and LEDC's.
    Natural hazards affect everyone in different countries. For example when Bangladesh is flooded 20,000 ppl die yet when when the Mississippi flooded y did less than 100 ppl die.

u need to look at the impact on the economy, environment society
    Reconstruction, some countries never recover from a natural hazard, y?
    Y do more ppl die in LEDCs as a result of hazards than in MEDCs

You need to do all types of natural hazards;
    Floods, Earthquakes, Volcanoes, Storm, Hurricanes, Avalanche, Tornado, Tsumani and Landslides

that is what i think they are asking for (not totally sure tho)
    When you construct your plan you need to set up a grid to check that you have got all you need eg a 3x2 matrix with GAT (I remember it as Gin And Tonic) ie Geomorphic, Atmospheric and Tectonic down the side and LEDC and MEDC at the top to check coverage. Or you could do a SEE (Social, Econ Environmental) - depending what the question is. Good coverage is essentail and shows a range of research which you then score highly on!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    bumping this up

ReputationRep:
    i found these two really good websites for hazard case studies if anyone needs them..

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Nat...azards_v2.php3

http://www.reliefweb.int/w/rwb.nsf/vLND

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.