The Student Room Group

Imperial College/UCL Entry Requirements 2016

I'm a Scottish candidate with AAAAA at Higher level (which is equivalent to AS courses) and this year studying Advanced Mathematics, Advanced Computing (A-Level) and Higher Business Management (AS Level). I've checked both university entry requirements pages and I'm wondering I will have a reasonable chance with my chosen qualifications? Is it worth applying when I'm not taking three AH subjects?
Original post by C0mpSci
I'm a Scottish candidate with AAAAA at Higher level (which is equivalent to AS courses) and this year studying Advanced Mathematics, Advanced Computing (A-Level) and Higher Business Management (AS Level). I've checked both university entry requirements pages and I'm wondering I will have a reasonable chance with my chosen qualifications? Is it worth applying when I'm not taking three AH subjects?

You normally need to have 3 AHs, including Maths, however some places would be alright with 2 AHs and 2Hs in lieu of the former.

What I recommend you do is email/call the admissions team: explain your situation and hopefully they'll be able to give you some guidance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
You normally need to have 3 AHs, including Maths, however some places would be alright with 2 AHs and 2Hs in lieu of the former.

What I recommend you do is email/call the admissions team: explain your situation and hopefully they'll be able to give you some guidance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for responding! That's true, I looked at King's College shortly after making this thread and the requirements are 2 AH, not three. There are several options, but as you suggested I'll contact the admissions team of universities I'm interested in.
Original post by C0mpSci
Thanks for responding! That's true, I looked at King's College shortly after making this thread and the requirements are 2 AH, not three. There are several options, but as you suggested I'll contact the admissions team of universities I'm interested in.

Yeah, it varies. Tbh, you could apply to Oxford with your grades - they only require 2 AHs and 5As/4As and a B at H. You would, of course, have to do an admissions test as well but it's something to consider.

Where are you thinking of applying to? I'm re-applying to uni this year.
Reply 4
Not in any particular order: St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Strathclyde and UCL/Manchester. If not outside then Aberdeen/Dundee.

Where are you aiming for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0mpSci
Not in any particular order: St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Strathclyde and UCL/Manchester. If not outside then Aberdeen/Dundee.

Where are you aiming for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, nice one! So the majority of yours are still in Scotland?

I've applied to: Oxford, Warwick, UCL, Nottingham and Bristol. Didn't really like the look of the other courses in Scotland aside from Edinburgh, but decided I want to move down anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Sounds good! What courses are you going for?

I'm applying all for Computer Science since I wanted a broad course but I know people considering Informatics and Artificial Intelligence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0mpSci
Sounds good! What courses are you going for?

I'm applying all for Computer Science since I wanted a broad course but I know people considering Informatics and Artificial Intelligence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mostly joint courses with Maths and a new one called 'Data Science' which is a mix of AI, Maths, CS and Stats.

Awesome, sounds like a good plan as you'd get more leeway with your options in later years. Have you considered applying to Oxford?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0mpSci
Data science sounds awesome. As for Oxford, I did but I don't think I'll complete statement for the deadline. I'd like to work on it longer hah

Did you consider Manchester?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is! It's basically a mix of all the stuff I love.

Aahh, fair enough!! The reason I asked is because with 5As and AA predictions at AH, you'd be considered. Granted there's the admissions test as well so might be too much effort.

Yeah I did! I ideally would have put it down but I felt the CS cohort was a bit too big for me - with 700+ students

And fair game with staying in Scotland, it's only really worth going down south if you go to a top uni for CS.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
That's a fair point with Manchester. Yeah the admissions test was another big reason. A lot of hassle if I'm not sure about going there. Anyway good luck with your applications!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Edinburgh has some pretty good courses such as Data Science,Informatics.You should take a look at those too

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending