The Student Room Group

Soft Claws - Cruelty against cats?

Poll

What do you make of Soft Claws?

Its well established that declawing is cruel. So cat owners such as myself have had to put up with clicked clothing, ruined sofas and playful yet painful scratches as a matter of course.

However a new company has created an invention - Soft Claws. They are “vinyl nail caps that glue on to your cat's claws, it covers the claw tips so no damage occurs when your cat scratches” according to the website www.spuk.com

Firstly I cant imagine that my cat would ever stay put for me to apply these things. Furthermore, doesn’t it seem a tad cruel to glue artificial parts onto your cat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's cruel and pointless.
possibly cruel, and i doubt the cat would like them

they do look pretty though :p:
Reply 3
Taking any measure to inhibit the use of a cat's claws is cruel. They're very, very important.

My cats might damage my clothes and furniture but I'm not going to solve that problem by doing anything to them.
Reply 4
mc_hamster
That's cruel and pointless.

The point is that they act as an alternative to declawing. They prevent the cat from scratching furniture, clothes, and you of course.

I'm still undecided :s-smilie:
Reply 5
If you don't want cats scratching things then don't get a cat.
Reply 6
aww thats uber cute! Ive emailed the web link to my mum... our cats so need that!!
Reply 7
Yeah get a dog...they are soooo much cooler!
Reply 8
Bubblebee
Yeah get a dog...they are soooo much cooler!

They do the same nails for dogs also! :p:
mc_hamster

You beat me to it. Thats the first thing I thought.

Everyone knows cats scratch things, if you dont want your stuff scratched dont get a cat there are plenty of other clawless animals....like fish :smile:

If it doesnt harm/hurt/distress the cat in anyway I wouldnt deem it to be cruel necessarily, although I feel the procedure is silly.
When you take on an animal, you should be able to accept the pros and the cons of keeping that animal as a pet, if you cant, you shouldnt get it.

Ps: When I say 'you' I dont mean the OP, I mean people in general :biggrin:
Reply 10
Declawing is cruel? Does it hurt the cat or something? :s-smilie:
Cats use their claws for climbing, traction, scratching etc. They are all important, putting those stupid things on their nails are hindering them so yes it is cruel.
Reply 12
well if it's a house cat it doesn't really interfere with their life does it?
Tag
well if it's a house cat it doesn't really interfere with their life does it?

House cats still climb, scratch etc.
Reply 14
I don't understand... why did someone feel the need to invent 'Soft Claws'...
Reply 15
Savvy
I don't understand... why did someone feel the need to invent 'Soft Claws'...

To protect furniture, clothing, people, etc.
Reply 16
Tufts
To protect furniture, clothing, people, etc.

:ottid:

mc_hamster
Reply 17
Some people buy a cat acknowledging that they will scratch. However 'Soft Claws' could take away that problem. I'm just not certain that they are humane.
I have a dog and he barks a hell of a lot, sure it's annoying but it's natural. So is a cat having claws, and if people are buying cats and puting those things on because they can't stand them scratching then they aren't the right people to be owning cats.
Reply 19
mc_hamster
House cats still climb, scratch etc.

Yeah, but you try to stop them.

As cruelty goes, that's hardly a problem for a housecat.

Quick Reply