NinjaPro
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
im studying biology,chemistry, physics and psychology.
Spoiler:
Show
my problem is that im not generally bright at maths but i got an A at gcse but that was from an all nighter. i really dont know what i want to do but its along the lines of chemical/mechaniacl engineering or dentistry or medicine. i dont take maths at A level but i can still switch as is only third week. im thinking of taking maths at as level but will it allow me to study engineering at birmingham uni if i dont, i know i can get a grade if i work really hard, btw im not fond of psycology either it's just an extra. HELP I WILL APPRECIATE IT
Angel28
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NinjaPro)
Spoiler:
Show
my problem is that im not generally bright at maths but i got an A at gcse but that was from an all nighter. i really dont know what i want to do but its along the lines of chemical/mechaniacl engineering or dentistry or medicine. i dont take maths at A level but i can still switch as is only third week. im thinking of taking maths at as level but will it allow me to study engineering at birmingham uni if i dont, i know i can get a grade if i work really hard, btw im not fond of psycology either it's just an extra. HELP I WILL APPRECIATE IT
Hi,

You would need Maths at A-level to study engineering at the University of Birmingham (mechanical and chemical). If you go on their website and check both courses you will see under the entry requirements that it is a required subject.
Hope this helps!
FHL
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NinjaPro)
Spoiler:
Show
Engineering is a very maths based field and medicine/ dentistry is quite reliant on it (calculating drug dosages/ epidemiology) so, regardless of entry criteria for a certain university, you're either going to have to take maths or change your aspirations.

Also, your subjects won't allow you to avoid maths entirely so maths would work well with these - particularly if you were to take M1 in your first year (there is a strong overlap with mechanics covered in AS (year 1) Physics).

· AS (year 1) physics will involve mechanics (M1), trig(GCSE), manipulating formulae (GCSE), calculating uncertainty; and A2 (year 2/A level) physics will involve even more mechanics (M2).

·AS chemistry will require: rearranging and applying formulae (GCSE), and enthalpy calculations; A2 (year 2/ A level) Chemistry will involve logs (C2),etc. ·

AS (year 1) biology will require some stats: standard deviation and basic analysis of data represented on graphs (S1), applying given formulae (GCSE); A2 (year 2/ A level) biology will involve doing some statistical tests (S1/ S2).

If you're unfamiliar with the structure of maths A level:
AS maths - C1, C2, and an application unit of your choice (or possibly your school's)
C1 - core mathematics 1
C2 - core mathematics 2
M1 - mechanics 1 (an application unit)
M2 - mechanics 2 ( an application unit)
S1 - statistics 1 (an application unit)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (126)
18.13%
It's just nice to be back! (191)
27.48%
Not great so far... (250)
35.97%
I want to drop out! (128)
18.42%

Watched Threads