rose1614
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
can someone give me a easy explanation for parsons theory, like what is it in easy terms because i can't find a simple definition anywhere also the same for davis and more, durkheim and blau
Asolare
Badges: 20
Report 5 years ago
You're gonna have to be more specific, which unit is this? To sum up "durkheim" and "parsons" would take.. a very long time as they appear in nearly every unit.

Davis & Moore is more simple as they only really appear in Education (as I have seen so far):

Sociologists Kingsley Davis and Wilbert Moore believed that stratification (division of labour) serves an important function in society. In any society, a number of tasks must be accomplished. Some tasks, such as cleaning streets or serving coffee in a restaurant, are relatively simple. Other tasks, such as performing brain surgery or designing skyscrapers, are complicated and require more intelligence and training than the simple tasks.

Those who perform the difficult tasks are therefore entitled to more power, prestige, and money. Davis and Moore believed that an unequal distribution of society’s rewards is necessary to encourage people to take on the more complicated and important work that required many years of training. They believed that the rewards attached to a particular job reflect its importance to society.
--

As for Blau, on education (I don't recall him being mentioned in other topics):

Peter Blau and Otis Duncan (1971) argue that a modern economy depends for its prosperity on using its "human capital" - its workers' skills. They argue that a meritocratic education system does the best, since it enables each person to be allocated to the job best suited to their abilities. This will make most effective use of their talents and maximise their productivity.

--

Is there any part in particular that's confusing you about the theories/sociologists, or is it a matter of retaining knowledge?
Aamirkhan786
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=rose1614;59579317]can someone give me a easy explanation for parsons theory, like what is it in easy terms because i can't find a simple definition anywhere also the same for davis and more, durkheim and blau[/QU
I am here to help, email me - [email protected]
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.81%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.24%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (34)
7.8%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.55%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.73%

Watched Threads