Westminister university Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Hi
Just wondered if u guys have heard anything about Westminister university, I have heard its really good for psychology, have you heard anything ie its reputation?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
hmm

is 36th in the times league tables for psychology if that helps

i've heard its a bit crap really, sorry
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
hmm

is 36th in the times league tables for psychology if that helps

i've heard its a bit crap really, sorry

well in the guardians table its 6th for psychology lol
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Hi
Just wondered if u guys have heard anything about Westminister university, I have heard its really good for psychology, have you heard anything ie its reputation?
hello my name is Debra i recently taken part in your summer shcool and i would very much like to say that it was great and i think your facility is wonderful
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
its create, teachers are fun, girls are buff i lost my virginity in thier
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well its suppose to be good for business, as i'm applying there. (not saying that its only because im applying there).
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Westerminister uni is said to be really s***ty
gaga_kid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
what about for media?
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by gaga_kid)
what about for media?
A degree with the reputation of Media Studies from a university with the reputation of Westminster = shelf-stacker at Tescos.
register
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
my friends a student at westminter and she says that although the building is really nice & even classy, at first, the feeling there is that it seems really "rough" ... as in the students look like they're in gangs, and they can look a bit intimidating. But then again, there are loads of laughs there too. eg. people shout out stuff in lectures and everyone bursts out laughing.. and the lecturers themselves are jokers! also the kind of work they set you is really easy stuff eg. they basically teach you how to switch ON a computer because some students dont know how! basically, if your grades arent amazing, and you're just looking for a good time without too much work, go to westminster.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
It sounds like a silly prejudiced, putting people in boxes reply, but let me tell you, if you are very academic, into much studying, you will hate westminster. If you are into your subject but not otherwise "academic", you may like westminster. But with some inside knowledge, I can tell you it doesnt run like a lot of unis. It is very "lax"... people come and go all day, most of whom seem to be international students and a lot of mature students, so there isnt a real "uni" feel about it.. The teaching is "limited", but that suits some. I wouldn't venture opinions on the type of student there, for fear of offence, but go and see it before you even consider it seriously. i wouldn't advise it to my worst enemy. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I know these as facts.
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
A degree with the reputation of Media Studies from a university with the reputation of Westminster = shelf-stacker at Tescos.
Thats quite arrogant from someone who hasnt even started their A-Levels.
Bhaal85
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It sounds like a silly prejudiced, putting people in boxes reply, but let me tell you, if you are very academic, into much studying, you will hate westminster. If you are into your subject but not otherwise "academic", you may like westminster. But with some inside knowledge, I can tell you it doesnt run like a lot of unis. It is very "lax"... people come and go all day, most of whom seem to be international students and a lot of mature students, so there isnt a real "uni" feel about it.. The teaching is "limited", but that suits some. I wouldn't venture opinions on the type of student there, for fear of offence, but go and see it before you even consider it seriously. i wouldn't advise it to my worst enemy. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I know these as facts.
I dont know anything about Westminister. But the general impression I get is that is may be full of people who are less academically gifted, therefore there may be a lot of dossers who slack, and thiss may afect your concentration. Looking at the league tables its actually ranked

76 by the telegraph
48 by the guradian
78 by the sunday times
74 by the times

and

69 by prospective employess.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
Thats quite arrogant from someone who hasnt even started their A-Levels.
Why does that matter at all? Are you saying a degree from Westminster in Media is a good, solid qualification?
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hey, the former chief executive of channel 4 went there!! Some people who do media degrees are actually doing well. So there.

The guardian league table for 2004 psychology goes like this:
cambridge,
york,
dundee,
westminster!

I guess it's reputation isn't too great though, the entrance requirements aren't too high.. Having said that, my bfs sister went there to do something to do with music and had a wonderful time. She knows a lot of ppl who went there and ended up working for the BBC.

I guess university is what you make of it. If you go somewhere with a bad reputation you can still make it worthwhile, in the same way that you can **** up by going somewhere good but with a course that's not right for you, and not doing well there.

It's all relative!

Finally, the thing that put ME off (for english) was "The course will interest you if you are a native speaker of English with some prior experience of literature, or if you are an international student wishing to take or complete your degree in UK." Didn't sound .. very.. proper. I want to go somewhere that requires a GOOD knowledge of literature ~ don't want to spend half the time doing what I am for my A level do I!!
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Why does that matter at all? Are you saying a degree from Westminster in Media is a good, solid qualification?
I'm saying that you have no right to dismiss it, seeing as you have no formal qualifications.
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It also makes you sound like a complete snob...
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I've only been here a day but.. I don't see what's wrong with doing a media degree. Plenty of people do them nowadays & there are post graduate courses in media, and obviously for degrees to be taught in the first place there will be positions in unis for media graduates.

I think it's a bit narrowminded to dismiss westminster's media course, or indeed media courses in general. Don't warwick do media nowadays? Surely if they respect the subject you should too? I do film studies but I got lower grades in that than I did for english lit. last year. So you shouldnt dismiss courses that you think are useless before you've tried than and seen that they aren't actually as simple as that.

To the original poster: don't be put off by ppl being snobby about westminster. Go & have a look around it & see how you like the feel of the place & their course. I have a friend who got offers from Sussex, Reading, UCL last year but in the end went to UWE in bristol because she preferred the atmosphere of it !
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
Start as a shelf stacker and work your way up. Chief Exec in no time.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
It also makes you sound like a complete snob...
Coming from East Lancashire, I'm guessing he's a bit working class and so is keen to transcend his unfortunate origins.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (155)
45.59%
Pro-humanity (185)
54.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed