This discussion is closed.
LH
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bigcnee)
I'm saying that you have no right to dismiss it, seeing as you have no formal qualifications.
I don't see the relevance in that, one of the ministers in the education department has only GCSEs, some people leave school without any GCSEs, does that mean there opinion counts for nothing?
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Unregistered)
Coming from East Lancashire, I'm guessing he's a bit working class and so is keen to transcend his unfortunate origins.
Yes, I have working class origins, and I'm proud of that fact, but many of the current middle classes can find working class people only a couple of generations back in their family. As it happens I live in the twelfth most affluent area in the country, but my origins are working class.
fionah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
Yes, I have working class origins, and I'm proud of that fact, but many of the current middle classes can find working class people only a couple of generations back in their family. As it happens I live in the twelfth most affluent area in the country, but my origins are working class.
& some of my best friends are gay.
wizard
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by fionah)
lmao
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nice to know many of the new members are very serious and mature.
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nice to know many of the new members are very serious and mature.
Nice to know many of the old members, or is it just you? Are actually big snobs?

I mean, who KNOWS where there area comes in the league table of affluent areas? Who cares?! One day you'll realise that it doesn't matter where you live, or how much money you have, or whether you were once working class. You are sitting there without having done your GCSEs yet completely dismissing a university because it isn't prestigious enough for you!

I'm sorry, but just because I am new doesn't mean I don't have the right to voice my opinions. You were saying how liberal you are and how you were working class as if that is some big achievement for you or something, as if it was YOU who got your family out of it's working class hell and into the middle classes!! Jesus, nobody even cares if you are working class or not.

You just act as if learning is a means to an end. The end being getting good grades and getting into a 'good' university. It's not all about that you know!!
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Nice to know many of the old members, or is it just you? Are actually big snobs?

I mean, who KNOWS where there area comes in the league table of affluent areas? Who cares?! One day you'll realise that it doesn't matter where you live, or how much money you have, or whether you were once working class. You are sitting there without having done your GCSEs yet completely dismissing a university because it isn't prestigious enough for you!

I'm sorry, but just because I am new doesn't mean I don't have the right to voice my opinions. You were saying how liberal you are and how you were working class as if that is some big achievement for you or something, as if it was YOU who got your family out of it's working class hell and into the middle classes!! Jesus, nobody even cares if you are working class or not.

You just act as if learning is a means to an end. The end being getting good grades and getting into a 'good' university. It's not all about that you know!!
If you had been a member of the forum for longer you would know that I support restricting university access, so that is the relevance of my post. Westminster is not a good university.

Am I not allowed to be proud of my family's history?
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
If you had been a member of the forum for longer you would know that I support restricting university access, so that is the relevance of my post. Westminster is not a good university.

Yes of course you are, but it's not that relevant apart from you were using it to try and prove a point in an argument which was a stupid one anyway!

Westminster has some interesting courses. I know people who've gone there and thoroughly enjoyed their time at university. IE. there's a good course with something to do wiht music management there, which is an excellent way into the industry.. Just because university courses are becoming more vocational doesn't mean that they aren't worthwhile! Tell me a 'good' university that offers gateways into the music industry that otherwise would be very difficult!

Westminster is known for having a good psychology course which is what the original post is about. Some people are actually bothered about doing a course they will enjoy, rather than going to a university that is 'good'. There is NOTHING WRONG WITH WESTMINSTER!

Like I said before, the chief executive of c4 went there!!
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yes of course you are, but it's not that relevant apart from you were using it to try and prove a point in an argument which was a stupid one anyway!
Someone said because I live in Lancashire I must be working class. Despite the stupidity of this comment, I simply said I am not working class, but my grandparents were and I am proud of that.
Bhaal85
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
*audience boos, then boos somemore*

Go Jerry!!! Go Jerry!!!

Audience: 'Use the chair!'
happysunshine
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Westminister have an excellent fashion course on offer.
fionah
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by happysunshine)
Westminister have an excellent fashion course on offer.
Exactly! There are lots of things that you just can't do at 'good' universities, but that's not to say that there shouldn't be such degrees anywhere else!

OK Lord H , I'm sorry if I was rude to you I didnt mean to get into a fight on the matter.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
*audience boos, then boos somemore*

Go Jerry!!! Go Jerry!!!

Audience: 'Use the chair!'
Grabs chair to fight of increasing number of opponents. Wait until Vienna is here, she always likes to side with the minority.
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Grabs chair to fight of increasing number of opponents. Wait until Vienna is here, she always likes to side with the minority.
Whoa!!! Biatch! I wasn't siding with anybody. Cant a guy enjoy a good show of debating in this society without having to take sides.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Exactly! There are lots of things that you just can't do at 'good' universities, but that's not to say that there shouldn't be such degrees anywhere else!

OK Lord H , I'm sorry if I was rude to you I didnt mean to get into a fight on the matter.
It's too late now, you've upset me
LH
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by Bhaal85)
Whoa!!! Biatch! I wasn't siding with anybody. Cant a guy enjoy a good show of debating in this society without having to take sides.
Not you Bhaal, but there seemed to be more and more oponents.

By the way, you need an avatar as you are the only one in the top 11 who hasn't got one.
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
By the way, you need an avatar as you are the only one in the top 11 who hasn't got one.
ah yeah- someone got his way over that!
Bhaal85
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Not you Bhaal, but there seemed to be more and more oponents.

Cant upload one. The forum wont let me. DAMN!!!

I would have helped you, but you were putting on a good argument, and she apologised too. lol.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago

Is it because you think grammar schools are better than others that you are such a snob? Most parents who try to get their kids into grammars seem to think it gives them greater social standing for some weird reason. Also, grammars tell their students how privileged they are to be there - I know because that's what I was always being told. Load of nonsense. Don't be so up yourself (and why do you refer to yourself as 'Lord'?)
Why do you support restricting university access - are you afraid of the competition from all those very bright students who don't want to go to grammars. Yes, I am anti-grammar because they are divisive, elitist and give their students inflated egos!!
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago

Well it is irrational. I’m not going to deprive you of your right to be irrational though. Furthermore, your statement “Westminster is not a good university” is an incredibly absolutist statement. It might not fulfill the Huntroyde “good university criteria”, but to say that it has no worth is at best misguided, at worst, downright condescending.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (269)
34.14%
No (519)
65.86%

Watched Threads