The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

Equity & Trusts Assignment 2015

Hello fellow academics, can anyone shine some light on this assignment question for me, much obliged.

Michael Mouse, an actor and children’s entertainer executed a will in January 1999. The will contained the following clauses:
a) The bulk of my classic animation stills to Goofy, the rest to Pluto.
b) £600,000 to my Uncle, Scrooge McDuck, in the hope that he will use it for the enjoyment of my nephews Huey, Dewy and Louis.
c) My boat ‘Steamboat Willie’ to Goofy, to hold on trust for my friend, Donald.
d) £100,000 to be held on trust for the most dedicated members of my fan club, ‘The Mouseketeers’.
e) My Parisian Chateau ‘Chez Mickey,’ to my cousin, Daisy.
f) The residue of my estate to my next of kin, Oswald.
g) I appoint my trusted friend, Goofy, as my executor.

A week ago Michael was diagnosed with Magicitus, a rare but fatal illness. Fearing he may not live much longer, Michael went for one last weekend river cruise on his boat with Minnie, his girlfriend of 15 years and friend Goofy.

Out on the water on Friday evening, Michael reflected on his life and realised with a start that he executed his will before he met Minnie and consequently had made no provision for her.
Michael confided in Minnie that he feared he ‘won’t be around much longer’ and told her that ‘if I die, I want you to have my Parisian chateau and all its contents’. The deeds to the chateau are in the locked drawer of my bureau which you will find in the library in the chateau. Here are the keys to both the bureau and the chateau.’ Michael also gave Minnie his pocket watch as ‘something to remember me by’ and handed her a cheque for £20,000.

Michael then turned to Goofy and told him that he would like him to have his campervan and hands Goofy the only set of keys.

Unfortunately, later that evening Michael fell overboard and drowned.

On the Monday following Michael’s death Minnie attempted to cash the cheque Michael gave to her on the boat, however the bank are refusing to honour the cheque as Goofy informed them of Michael’s death on Saturday morning. Upon opening the bureau drawer Minnie found not only the deeds to ‘Chez Mickey’ but also an antique compass worth approximately £15,000.

Michael’s next of kin, Oswald, is now arguing that Goofy should give back the campervan as it belongs to him as the residuary legatee of Michael’s estate.
Daisy and Minnie have also fallen out as Daisy feels that she should inherit ‘Chez Mickey’; however Minnie is arguing that the chateau and its contents should rightfully be hers.

Advise Goofy as to the proper administration of Michael’s estate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending