The Student Room Group

Is Britain a majority right-wing, conservative country?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieBarlow87
Did you read any of the rest of what i said?

How is that evidence? Do you have any stats or anything to refer to?
Reply 41
To add to my previous comment I would say the UK are centrists
Original post by Lady Comstock
How is that evidence? Do you have any stats or anything to refer to?

well if you add all the votes for labour, the snp, tusc and green partty and ukip if you count them you get more than those who vote lib dems and tories.
Original post by Dalek1099
Its not about who would get elected its about political opinion, you can't just shift the political spectrum depending on the country the political spectrum needs to represent all possible views and then show the UK parties.A political compass isn't fair if everyone's views don't fit on it the Green Party got 3.8% of votes at the last General Election and if you make Labour from the 2015 General Election Left Wing then the Green's might not fit onto the Political Compass, I certainly wouldn't I ended up being 2 squares from the absolute left.It would be a mockery of politics to call Labour left wing recently before Corbyn they have been supporting a lot of austerity and didn't abstain on a harsh benefit bill(being Left Wing isn't just enforcing Right Wing policies but not as harshly as the Tories which is pretty much what New Labour have done).

Didn't Ed Miliband call for a freeze on energy prices? That's a left wing policy if you ask me.

Then again, the Tories have done similar things.

OK, if you're talking purely economically, then Labour is more centrist than left wing, or was, rather. But if you go by the normal definition then it is definitely further to the left than right.

By the way, political positions are totally defined by the mood of the country. A conservative party in Sweden will probably be into higher public spending than a social democrat party in the USA.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by felamaslen
Didn't Ed Miliband call for a freeze on energy prices? That's a left wing policy if you ask me.

Then again, the Tories have done similar things.

OK, if you're talking purely economically, then Labour is more centrist than left wing, or was, rather. But if you go by the normal definition then it is definitely further to the left than right.

By the way, political positions are totally defined by the mood of the country. A conservative party in Sweden will probably be into higher public spending than a social democrat party in the USA.

>conservative
>Sweden

The c-word means racism in Sweden I believe

Posted from the TSR app - no updates since 2013!
Original post by jape
>conservative
>Sweden

The c-word means racism in Sweden I believe

Posted from the TSR app - no updates since 2013!

That's because in Sweden, conservatism means high public spending, but only on Swedish people (which is racist if you interpret that as discriminatory). Which kind of proves my point.
Election results would suggest so, however many working class families are misinformed about politics, or do not take part in the political process. As a result the middle class, who are less in population than the working class, however larger in political population, are mostly conservative as this is the party who identifies with their needs the most,then end up winning the election.
(edited 8 years ago)
Is Britain a majority right-wing, small 'c' conservative country? The last election result would suggest so.

England certainly is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Basically we are deeply conservative because we love tradition so much!!!!!!
Right wing but not conservative
bear in mind this thread was created before 51.9% voted for Brexit :colone:
Someone else bumped this
The White working class has often tended towards left wing conservatism, but overall Anglo-Protestant culture has been fanatically left wing in every regard apart from its slavish commitment to aristocracy.

Original post by espicton98
Election results would suggest so, however many working class families are misinformed about politics, or do not take part in the political process. As a result the middle class, who are less in population than the working class, however larger in political population, are mostly conservative as this is the party who identifies with their needs the most,then end up winning the election.

I don't understand how anyone could possibly think the middle class is more conservative than the working class. Could you honestly see Dave the builder going to a gay pride march and Sebastian from the home counties at the EDL march?

It's beyond all belief that people could be this out of touch.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by L i b

Scotland is, if anything, more small-c conservative than England. Devolution has, if anything, kept Scottish public service delivery in a state of stasis: while health and education went through major reforms in England (under both Labour and the Conservatives), in Scotland they were allowed to merrily tick along in much the way John Major had left them.

Agree with this. The Scots like the English working class are left-wing in as much as they want higher government spending, social welfare and don't mind if taxes are raised to pay for it, but that doesn't make you a liberal unless you have enlightenment social values which frankly don't exist north of Oakham and west of Oxfordshire.
Slightly left wing when it comes to spending on public services, but right wing on law and order and migration.
Is Britain a majority right-wing, small 'c' conservative country? The last election result would suggest so.

The last three election results in 2010, 2015 and 2017 along with the 2016 Brexit result would seem to suggest so.
No.

There are more 'left' voters in the UK every election (16 mil 2017) than 'right' voters (14 mil 2017). (Didn't include SNP as they're hard to classify).

However, those on the left are idiots when it comes to politics, they divide themselves into multiple parties which dilutes the potential for them to win.

There are many parties I could use but for example if you vote Green you are honestly politically retarded, what logic is their behind essentially allowing the Conservatives into power versus voting for Corbyn who shares like 90% of your views?

The Conservatives amalgamate most of the spectrum of the right (apart from hard right), while the left split off into a million directions.
Original post by KingHarold
Slightly left wing when it comes to spending on public services, but right wing on law and order and migration.

So what your saying is that the natural government is essentially the pre-Thatcher One Nation Tories.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending