The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What a disgrace.

Universities should be bastions of free speech and not cower to pressure from certain groups that oppose this.
What the actual ****??? But the hate preachers calling for violence are allowed?? lmao
Original post by driftawaay
What the actual ****??? But the hate preachers calling for violence are allowed?? lmao

The left's flirtation with conservative Islam continues...
Original post by Lady Comstock
The left's flirtation with conservative Islam continues...

Now, now, I'd class myself as "left"...
Reply 5
What an absolute joke. Calls this to mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XPHIfgFwsY (not someone I agree with completely but certainly has a fair few important things to say)
I'll be starting at Warwick very soon and this is pretty sad to see.
at my uni the SU banned some UKIP member from speaking because it would 'offend coloured people and foreign students' or something like that lol it was shameful
The irony is that Maryam Namazie fled Iran to come to the UK because she would get persecuted (at best) for her views in Iran, but now she's discovering that she can't even express her views freely here... :facepalm:
Of course, by "incite hatred" what they mean is "make certain people who don't take well to views that they disagree with being allowed a platform angry"...
Disgrace.
at my uni the SU banned some UKIP member from speaking because it would 'offend coloured people and foreign students' or something like that lol it was shameful

I remember Nigel Farage came to Cambridge to have an event (not even in the uni) but had to cancel it because so many people were planning to protest against his mere presence in Cambridge... :lol:

I hate Farage and UKIP as much as the next person, but everyone has the right to express their views (and, of course, to - peacefully and respectfully - protest against such views).
The most concerning thing about this is that this authoritarian attitude has now extended to the 'better', more established universities. I'd expect certain obscure student unions to display this sort of attitude, but Warwick?
Original post by Lady Comstock
The most concerning thing about this is that this authoritarian attitude has now extended to the 'better', more established universities. I'd expect certain obscure student unions to display this sort of attitude, but Warwick?

Even my own college in Cambridge has proved vulnerable to this (a planned debate on equal marriage was cancelled due to pressure from many people who questioned the need/premise of the debate).

The Union, however, remains largely impervious to such attitudes (luckily).
Original post by Illiberal Liberal
Even my own college in Cambridge has proved vulnerable to this (a planned debate on equal marriage was cancelled due to pressure from many people who questioned the need/premise of the debate).

The Union, however, remains largely impervious to such attitudes (luckily).

I guess student union politics has always been wacky; it's just a shame it's now gone from wacky to sinister.
Original post by Starvation13
What a load of idiots, just let her speak in peace. Now they made a scene and now all us Muslims have to deal with all THIS again.

Exactly. This probably causes more problems for Muslims as it perpetuates the notion that all Muslims are against free speech and people who leave the faith. Well done Warwick SU *slow clap*.
Original post by Starvation13

lmao!!
Seriously unimpressed by Warwick's stance.
Reply 17

Having attended events where she was one listed as one of the speakers, I found nothing in her speeches was worth any effort.

Her manner is forced and she resorts to hyperbole, rhetoric, scare mongering and emotional arguments in her speeches, arguments which is not conducive to civil society.

I wouldn't ban her from speaking per se, but ensure that there is a platform for her empty rhetoric to be challenged as soon as they have been made, similar to what that report suggested about University of Westminister.
Leftists being leftists.
Reply 19

They didn't say coloured people lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending