harina10
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey! I'm taking the LNAT 8th October and I'm preeetttyyyy nervous, hence so many questions. The multiple choice never fails to trip me up, no matter how long I spend on it! So, I was wondering...

• I've seen some people say they've used guides/books, are there any particularly good ones you'd recommend?
• Does the essay have to be balanced? Or can I do 3 adv. and 2 disadv. (for example)?
• Is there any way of finding out the rough pass mark for the specific universities? I know the LNAT doesn't have it's own, but I'm pretty sure I read on the LNAT website that each university has it's own benchmark????
• When do they set the LNAT questions, so I know when to realllyyyy focus on current affairs?

Thanks in advance!
vis break
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
rah, you've left it for late L0l

It's all on avg scores of the year, but last years was around 22/23.
Oxford was 26, just google "LNAT score x Uni"
The essay should answer the question, so no balance. But you need to make sure you address the counter arguments and argue against them.
In terms of books just hit up amazon, don;t get the one by testing series it's too easy
subhadeep6270
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Harina10,

LNAT is not tough as I would say that it checks your intelligence and of course whole bunch of knowledge over law. However as the official website for LNAT says "There are no facts to learn and no lessons to revise in preparation for the test. Instead you should concentrate on exercising the relevant parts of your brain, and on familiarising yourself with the test format."

- About the guides/books part, yes you can simply google "quality LNAT practice papers" and you will find loads of free items there.

- About the essays I would say, It is very different from writing essays for school tests. The essay questions of LNAT Section II require the aspirants to take a stance. A well thought and well executed piece of writing are the primary requisites of LNAT. For instance, an essay question like “Sport is ‘war minus the shooting’- Do you agree?” is a tough one. As instructed by the LNAT authorities, you will have to support your answer with reasoned arguments. Now, creating an essay with the best of the information in just 40 minutes can put you under immense pressure. You may sometimes feel that the essay you composed is nowhere close to the practice essays you wrote. To cross the first hurdle you must look for topics you can debate. Hit the right technique of attempting the LNAT essay questions and you have made your work easy.

- About the pass marks: Of course the Universities decide the pass marks and there is no way untill you get your results and try to apply for a specific uni. Yes! it varies.

- Yes! it is always a good practice to keep yourself up to date. So, try to read newspapers, magazines to keep yourself updated.
harina10
Rep:
?
(Original post by vis break)
rah, you've left it for late L0l

It's all on avg scores of the year, but last years was around 22/23.
Oxford was 26, just google "LNAT score x Uni"
The essay should answer the question, so no balance. But you need to make sure you address the counter arguments and argue against them.
In terms of books just hit up amazon, don;t get the one by testing series it's too easy
Thanks for the help tbh i asked these qs on threads weeks ago, is it my fault no-one replied??
harina10
Rep:
?
(Original post by subhadeep6270)
Hi Harina10,

LNAT is not tough as I would say that it checks your intelligence and of course whole bunch of knowledge over law. However as the official website for LNAT says "There are no facts to learn and no lessons to revise in preparation for the test. Instead you should concentrate on exercising the relevant parts of your brain, and on familiarising yourself with the test format."

- About the guides/books part, yes you can simply google "quality LNAT practice papers" and you will find loads of free items there.

- About the essays I would say, It is very different from writing essays for school tests. The essay questions of LNAT Section II require the aspirants to take a stance. A well thought and well executed piece of writing are the primary requisites of LNAT. For instance, an essay question like “Sport is ‘war minus the shooting’- Do you agree?” is a tough one. As instructed by the LNAT authorities, you will have to support your answer with reasoned arguments. Now, creating an essay with the best of the information in just 40 minutes can put you under immense pressure. You may sometimes feel that the essay you composed is nowhere close to the practice essays you wrote. To cross the first hurdle you must look for topics you can debate. Hit the right technique of attempting the LNAT essay questions and you have made your work easy.

- About the pass marks: Of course the Universities decide the pass marks and there is no way untill you get your results and try to apply for a specific uni. Yes! it varies.

- Yes! it is always a good practice to keep yourself up to date. So, try to read newspapers, magazines to keep yourself updated.
Thank you! Extremely helpful!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (9)
18.37%
No one else does (20)
40.82%
I'm embarrassed about my background (6)
12.24%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (12)
24.49%
We don't use a video platform (1)
2.04%
I don't have a camera (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
2.04%

Watched Threads