anyone doing AS Physics Solid Materials? Watch

This discussion is closed.
tiara123
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
i want to get full marks (who doesnt?) so let's help each other out..i screwed up in the practicals so i NEED the full marks for this paper..and GOD..its only 30 mins!!! do u think it would be finishable?
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tiara123)
i want to get full marks (who doesnt?) so let's help each other out..i screwed up in the practicals so i NEED the full marks for this paper..and GOD..its only 30 mins!!! do u think it would be finishable?
I'm doing it! I was taught particle physics but since by teacher was useless I didnt understand everything and my notes were poor I decided to learn solid materials
SkylineGTR
Report 14 years ago
do u think i can learn solid materials in 3 days? i don't want to do astro which is the one i studied, cause i never go well in that topic. i just opened the solid materials book and it doesn't seem difficult. can i make it in 3 days?
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SkylineGTR)
do u think i can learn solid materials in 3 days? i don't want to do astro which is the one i studied, cause i never go well in that topic. i just opened the solid materials book and it doesn't seem difficult. can i make it in 3 days?
Im in a similar situation - it depends how well you know astro. You can do it if you put a lot of effort in as solid materials isnt that hard but it's up to you
tiara123
YES!!! solid materials is easy...just learn stress-strain curves for different materials like copper, high carbon steel, rubber.....and force-extension graphs..and how to find youngs' modulus...and energy-density....and there always comes a graph it seems...get info from the graph and do calculations mostly..or sketch a graph...then there comes elastomers, polycrystalline materials..amorphous...thermoset s...thermorsetting plastics and thermosets...examples for these....laminates...composites. ...just know what they mean...and identify them.....then you need to know about defects...grain boundaries and edge dislocations....have to know what workhardening,anealing, quench hardening and creep means.....i can write up notes later.....before sunday..i'm just writing from memory....
M1thrandir
Report 14 years ago
Same, I did major screw up in the practical, I might have to resit physics altogether, if I dont get a good grade on the other 3 papers. (My option topic is solid materials as well)

Exam next monday and I haven't started proper revision yet. Ah well.
tiara123
(Original post by M1thrandir)
Same, I did major screw up in the practical, I might have to resit physics altogether, if I dont get a good grade on the other 3 papers. (My option topic is solid materials as well)

Exam next monday and I haven't started proper revision yet. Ah well.
hmm ur under more pressure if ur doing AS....r u using the nelson thornes books too?
M1thrandir
Report 14 years ago
hmm ur under more pressure if ur doing AS....r u using the nelson thornes books too?
Yep AS and nope, believe it or not, all I've got is notes for all the units from my teacher. We dont use books, sadly.
tiara123
and i forgot..there's maleability and ductility...ultimate tensile strength, yield stress, hooke's law, limit of proportionality, elastic and plastic deformation, tough, strong, brittle, flexible materials
tiara123
and hysterisis loss in rubbers heheheh...i do hope i'm helping someone.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (55)
98.21%
No (1)
1.79%

Watched Threads