The Student Room Group

Investing some spare money

Hey guys!

Basically, I have some savings that I would like to invest when I go to university.

This is because the cash that I had in my Under 19's account will no longer receive interest when I go to university (should be several thousands). My maintenance loan/grant/bursaries will total £10500 and I probably won't need this much (accommodation is only £2600 for the year!)

So I should have several thousands lying around. My student account only gives interest up to £2000, so any cash above that will just be lying there and depreciating!

What should I do? Should I put my money in an ISA? There are several types but I am not entirely sure what the differences are. I have considered a stocks and shares ISA but not sure which provider I should go with and the time-scales associated with them!

Thanks for your help in advance :smile:
When do you think you might need this money?

Less than 5 years, find the best interest paying current account. You may find there will be restrictions such as pay in £X each month so check these carefully.

Longer term? Think about putting the money into a stocks and shares ISA, I personally buy units in Vanguard Lifestrategy 80 but I would only recommend doing this if you don't need the money for around 10 years or more. Obviously your money is at risk and the value could go down.
Reply 2
Original post by Rian1988
When do you think you might need this money?

Less than 5 years, find the best interest paying current account. You may find there will be restrictions such as pay in £X each month so check these carefully.

Longer term? Think about putting the money into a stocks and shares ISA, I personally buy units in Vanguard Lifestrategy 80 but I would only recommend doing this if you don't need the money for around 10 years or more. Obviously your money is at risk and the value could go down.

Maybe probs at least 5 years. I will plan to put in maybe £250 in a month and let it build up as some sort of 'savings'. The interest for current accounts are so low (<2% that inflation will mean I am losing money!

I have searched for a few stocks and shares ISAs. Is Hargreaves Lansdown any good? Heard of the high charges but good service.
Reply 3
Original post by subject1

So I should have several thousands lying around. My student account only gives interest up to £2000, so any cash above that will just be lying there and depreciating!

What should I do? Should I put my money in an ISA? There are several types but I am not entirely sure what the differences are. I have considered a stocks and shares ISA but not sure which provider I should go with and the time-scales associated with them!

When are you likely to need the money? Assuming you've no need of it whilst at Uni the assumption would be for a house deposit soon after graduating?

In which case; I wouldnt invest it in anything. Typically the timescales for normal shares investments are at a minimum 5 years, so you'd need the money sooner than this.

We're not talking huge amounts of money (although when youre young a few £k will look like alot.. it really isnt) so I'd not take the risk with such a small amount and short timespans.
Reply 4
I have searched for a few stocks and shares ISAs. Is Hargreaves Lansdown any good? Heard of the high charges but good service.

I personally use H&L because their S&S ISA charges a flat % fee for fund investments rather than per-trade fees which makes it good for regular but small monthly investing. With H&L you are paying a premium for the newbie-friendly interface and high level of customer service though.
Original post by Reue
I personally use H&L because their S&S ISA charges a flat % fee for fund investments rather than per-trade fees which makes it good for regular but small monthly investing. With H&L you are paying a premium for the newbie-friendly interface and high level of customer service though.

If you're talking about Hargreaves Lansdown, they do charge per transaction, not by %, unless you're ordering by phone.

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/share-dealing/dealing-charges
Reply 6
Original post by Fango_Jett
If you're talking about Hargreaves Lansdown, they do charge per transaction, not by %, unless you're ordering by phone.

http://www.hl.co.uk/shares/share-dealing/dealing-charges

I invest in funds, not individual shares. An approach I'd recommend to any new investors. These don't have transaction fees.
Original post by Reue
I invest in funds, not individual shares. An approach I'd recommend to any new investors.

The charge applies to all dealing if I'm not mistaken. The management charge, is done in percent, capping out at 50 or something.
Reply 8
The charge applies to all dealing if I'm not mistaken. The management charge, is done in percent, capping out at 50 or something.

You are mistaken :smile:

There is no transaction charge for investing in funds within the H&L ISA
Original post by Reue
You are mistaken :smile:

There is no transaction charge for investing in funds within the H&L ISA

Ah sorry didn't see the ISA part. My bad.
Original post by Reue
I invest in funds, not individual shares. An approach I'd recommend to any new investors. These don't have transaction fees.

You don't seem to know much about investing.

Firstly they are called ordinary shares, not normal shares.

Secondly, what is H&L? Do you mean Hargreaves Lansdown (HL)?

Please don't give advice when you don't know much yourself.
Reply 11
Original post by anonwinner
You don't seem to know much about investing.

Firstly they are called ordinary shares, not normal shares.

I didn't say normal shares, I said individual shares.

Secondly, what is H&L? Do you mean Hargreaves Lansdown (HL)?

A common abbreviation:

"H&L" - 4/7 hits on front page of Google

"HL" - 1/7 hits on front page of Google

Please don't give advice when you don't know much yourself.

Please don't attempt to make snide comments which add nothing to the discussion.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Ah sorry didn't see the ISA part. My bad.

No worries! Their fees (like most providers) are anything but clear.
Reply 13
Original post by Reue
No worries! Their fees (like most providers) are anything but clear.

I made an account with HL just now. I am planning to invest monthly, would investing in funds be better because investing in shares would lead to transaction costs every time.
Reply 14
I made an account with HL just now. I am planning to invest monthly, would investing in funds be better because investing in shares would lead to transaction costs every time.

Why would you be investing monthly if your funds are coming from Student Finance? :s
Reply 15
Original post by Reue
Why would you be investing monthly if your funds are coming from Student Finance? :s

I wouldn't want to put myself in that much risk at first. Investing monthly means that I am not committing as much money in one go.

i.e. I feel it is better to invest £200 per month rather than £2400 in one go, because I am committing to less. Also, student finance is given termly.

Is investing in funds better then for this approach?
Reply 16
Original post by Reue
When are you likely to need the money? Assuming you've no need of it whilst at Uni the assumption would be for a house deposit soon after graduating?

In which case; I wouldnt invest it in anything. Typically the timescales for normal shares investments are at a minimum 5 years, so you'd need the money sooner than this.

We're not talking huge amounts of money (although when youre young a few £k will look like alot.. it really isnt) so I'd not take the risk with such a small amount and short timespans.

Well my view is that money lying around is just depreciating and so investing it is probably better. In addition, starting small and early will probs give me some experience in terms of investing in the longer term.

As you said a few £k is not a lot, and so I am also not too concerned about risk associated.

From my budgeting I should have around £10000 saved up from three years, if I just left it there it seems like its all gone to waste! Cash ISAs are crap so S&S ISAs just seem like the way forward.
Reply 17

(Good) funds tend to be a lot less risky than purchasing the shares of a single company.
for a start steer clear of fossil fuels that's advice from moneyweek magazine that the economy won't recover from it current fall

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending