Need help on Complex Numbers!

Watch this thread
annie aw
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
actual qs. : The complex number w has modulus 1 and argument 2θ radians. show that (w-1)/(w+1) = itanθ

simplify
( cos 2θ + i(sin 2θ) - 1) ÷ ( cos 2θ + i(sin 2θ) + 1 )

show that it is equal to = i tanθ
HarunH1
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
is this fp1? and what exam board?
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Would Euler's identity help?

tanyapotter
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
you have to "rationalise" the denominator to get rid of the imaginary component
annie aw
Rep:
(Original post by HarunH1)
is this fp1? and what exam board?
CIE and its Pure Maths 3
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by annie aw)
yes, but I have applied it to the equation. (edited on my qs)
dunno I left all this **** behind when I graduated.

on your own kiddo
username1560589
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
actual qs. : The complex number w has modulus 1 and argument 2θ radians. show that (w-1)/(w+1) = itanθ

simplify

I did it by converting into polar form and rationalising the denominator. How far have you gotten?

(Original post by _Bembridge)
No. A different kind of rationalising and you made a mistake.
annie aw
Rep:
i got till the part expanding the double angles.. then i got confused

(Original post by morgan8002)
I did it by converting into polar form and rationalising the denominator. How far have you gotten?

No. A different kind of rationalising and you made a mistake.
username1560589
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
i got till the part expanding the double angles.. then i got confused
Can you type up your last line?
annie aw
Rep:
( 1 - 2sin^2θ + i (2sinθcosθ) + 1 ) ÷ ( 2cos^2θ - 1 + i (2sinθcosθ) + 1)

Can you type up your last line?
username1560589
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I don't get that. What did you multiply by to rationalise the denominator?
Zacken
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
She hasn't multiplied anything, simply converted double angles into single angles for some obscure reason.
annie aw
Rep:
i used the double angle formula :
ImageImageImage(1)ImageImageImage(2)ImageImageImage(3)ImageImageImage
username1560589
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
i used the double angle formula :
ImageImageImage(1)ImageImageImage(2)ImageImageImage(3)ImageImageImage
The + sign bolded above should be a - sign.
Rationalise the denominator, then use double angle fomulae if necessary. Otherwise it will get overcomplicated.
Dingooose
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 6 years ago

simplify

There are probably more effective solutions but here is mine (refer to it only once you're done):
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 897
Size:  6.8 KB
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
There's a useful trick for fractions with (1 \pm e^{2i \theta}) terms that can work a fair bit quicker than the "normal" method of rationalising.

Multiply the fraction by \dfrac{e^{-i\theta}}{e^{-i\theta}} (which is 1, obviously), you end up with terms of form e^{i\theta} \pm e^{-i\theta} which you can easily rewrite in terms of sin and cos theta.
Dingooose
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
There's a useful trick for fractions with (1 \pm e^{2i \theta}) terms that can work a fair bit quicker than the "normal" method of rationalising.

Multiply the fraction by \dfrac{e^{-i\theta}}{e^{-i\theta}} (which is 1, obviously), you end up with terms of form e^{i\theta} \pm e^{-i\theta} which you can easily rewrite in terms of sin and cos theta.
You posted that one minute after I posted my method... Now I feel silly for complicating it.
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dingooose)
You posted that one minute after I posted my method... Now I feel silly for complicating it.
If it makes you feel better I did it your way for about 10 years before someone posted this trick!
annie aw
Rep:
(Original post by Dingooose)
There are probably more effective solutions but here is mine (refer to it only once you're done):
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 897
Size:  6.8 KB
Thanks! I used the same method as yours, and was stuck at simplifying it.. (sorry i actually took a peek before i'm actually done)
annie aw
Rep:
(Original post by DFranklin)

I tried your method, right after I finished the first try. And it really saves all the troubles! thank you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (90)
42.65%
They're exactly what I expected (49)
23.22%